Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Residential Real Estate Lawsuit Help.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 2,198

Residential Real Estate Lawsuit Help.

Sep 15, 2017, 9:59 PM

I have a question that hopefully someone can help me.

My wife and I just purchased a home two months ago. Hurricane Irma came through and exposed some significant defects that was not disclosed to us by the seller. Things such as leaky roof that leaks water into garage and dining room, leaky windows etc. We hired a lawyer and are pursuing things legally.

Problem I have is we still need to fix the defects because of mold etc. Can I file and homeowner's insurance claim and still pursue things legally against the seller? I'm just afraid that if we wait the insurance won't cover due to timiliness. The legal process could take months.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

I'm not an attorney but I've had some experience

Sep 15, 2017, 10:07 PM

under somewhat similar circumstances.

I think if you file the claim, the insurance company will pay the damages then go after the previous owner to get their money back if you can demonstrate that said previous owner defrauded you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not an attorney but I've had some experience

Sep 15, 2017, 10:09 PM

Does that apply to home or just auto?

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Don't know the answer to that

Sep 15, 2017, 10:17 PM

Sorry

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't know the answer to that

Sep 15, 2017, 10:36 PM

Thank you though.

Re: Residential Real Estate Lawsuit Help.

Sep 15, 2017, 10:13 PM

I think the sellers are liable for damages ONLY if they knew about the problems prior to selling you the house.
If that is not the case your homeowners insurance will pay for damages.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2017, 10:21 PM

Take photos and save any receipts for repair. And Have a reliable home inspector come and check for any other damage.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2017, 10:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Residential Real Estate Lawsuit Help. ]

Oh he most definitely knew. Made previous attempts to fix it and the water damage is extensive. Was hidden by furniture during home inspextion.

My problem is the repairs are very costly and I can't afford right now, but we obviously have to have them fixed to prevent molding etc...can I file a claim while I am pursuing legal action?

Sep 15, 2017, 10:38 PM

Have at least one if not two independent inspections first, and I think you also need to make sure the person you are suing also has a chance to have an independent inspection done.

Similar situation with my car, and I believe the term if you fix it before they get a chance to inspect is spoliation and has the potential to run any chance of legal action.

I don't know if that applies to homes or your situation, but you should be able to ask your attorney and he would know. Use that term above.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

check with

Sep 15, 2017, 10:30 PM

GWPTiger®

Re: check with

Sep 15, 2017, 10:36 PM

Thanks man.

My area is in business law, but if you have a local

Sep 15, 2017, 10:50 PM

insurance agent that you trust, talk to him/her first. Then depending on what they say you should consult an attorney, with a suit like this you should be able to get a free consultation. That sucks, I hope it works out.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

tell him about your other speciality...

Sep 15, 2017, 10:58 PM

LGBT law

RenegadeTiger® Is his prized client

stop it you two

Sep 15, 2017, 11:01 PM

dont make me get the hose

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: stop it you two

Sep 15, 2017, 11:03 PM

like the 9th time this week. what's gotten into them lately?

LGBT? Large Gals Before Trannies? Wouldn't that be

Sep 16, 2017, 8:02 PM [ in reply to tell him about your other speciality... ]

DefensiveTackleU

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Replies: 15
| visibility 2,198
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic