Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Which was the worst "cut and run" decision of all time?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Which was the worst "cut and run" decision of all time?

Oct 8, 2019, 2:46 PM

1975 Ford and the Fall of Saigon
1989 Reagan abandons Lebanon after Marine Barracks are blown up
1991 Bush abandons Kurds in Northern Iraq
2019 Trump withdraws support from Kurds in Syria

Vietnam was probably the worst of the worst. If you take the long view, Trump's exit from Syria is hardly unique.

While on the face of it he comes off looking like Erdogan's chump, he could have handled it by simply asking the neocons the one critical question that should always be front and center, which is defining what American interests are in that particular foreign nation.

This is a proxy war. Russia has used Syriay, and US has used the Kurds and Iraq as our proxies. We are basically letting Russia extend themselves deeper into the pit. I'm sure the oligarchs see some business opportunity there, but it is not so compelling from the American point of view.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Republicans have always been called on to clean up after

Oct 8, 2019, 2:51 PM

Democrat's wars. See, e.g., Ike and Korea; Nixon and Vietnam; Trump and Syria.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Republicans have always been called on to clean up after

Oct 8, 2019, 2:59 PM

Syria is more rightly framed as cleaning up after the Bush war in Iraq. That led to the rise of ISIS.

there's truth in this statement. there would not have

Oct 8, 2019, 3:17 PM

been a war in Syria but for Bush's war. But Obama completely bungled Syria

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As much as I'd really like to blame the democrats with all..

Oct 8, 2019, 3:26 PM

wars including the civil war, republicans always jump on board and capitalize on the bloodshed. America resist war but we seem to love it when the chit hits the fan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anyone who blames all wars from the past 100 years on one

Oct 8, 2019, 3:47 PM

political party is either trolling or pants-on-head retarded.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: there's truth in this statement. there would not have

Oct 8, 2019, 4:33 PM [ in reply to there's truth in this statement. there would not have ]

BHO was caught between a rock and hard place in truth. Iraq would not sign a Status of Forces agreement again so that left our troops open to criminal charges in an Iraqi court system. Pubs would have screamed bloody murder with the 1st one charged and tried.

Bush pucked up Iraq upon disbanding the Iraqi Army , right there was the core cluster puck, well after lying about Saddam being in cahoots with BinLaden of course.

Syrian uprising had it's roots in the Arab Spring and only later included jihadists from ISIS and other groups. ISIS used the vacuum to sieze lands and power in the turmoil.

When did you become a full throttle shitposter?***

Oct 8, 2019, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Republicans have always been called on to clean up after ]

you're only saying that because I failed to mention

Oct 8, 2019, 3:19 PM

it was also Democrats who got us into WWI and WWII - two other wars we had no business in....

Are you chitting me?

Oct 8, 2019, 3:23 PM

I was mad as hail when the Germans bombed pearl harbor. We should have nuked them instead of nuking the poor japanese who didn't do nothing to us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you're only saying that because I failed to mention

Oct 8, 2019, 4:44 PM [ in reply to you're only saying that because I failed to mention ]

it was also Democrats who got us into WWI and WWII - two other wars we had no business in....

And here's where you're freaking insane.

You can argue we got $ucked into WWI - actually everybody got but $ucked into WWI because of entangling alliances and mutual defense pacts - but the Germans made it hard to stay neutral when they launched unrestricted submarine warfare and started merrily torpedoing anything that floated regardless of flag. Once the Lusitania went down there was no president anywhere who could have backed down and stayed elected. When somebody starts murdering your citizens, you're at war. (Yes, the Lusitania was probably carrying weapons. The Germans still made the decision to involve us when they took down that boat.)

WW2...if you would have backed off after the Japanese launched an unannounced, unprovoked attack on Pearl Harbor without a declaration of war...well, I seriously question your manhood. And there was simply no living in peace with the Nazis anyhow; either we went after them while we still had allies left standing or they were going to come after us once they'd put them down. Hitler proved over and over and over again he was simply not going to stop...ever.

You're kidding, right? Especially about Nixon.***

Oct 8, 2019, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Republicans have always been called on to clean up after ]

pretty sure it was Nixon who pulled our troops out of

Oct 8, 2019, 3:19 PM

Nam which was Kennedy/LBJ fvck-up.

I'm blowing the whistle.

Oct 8, 2019, 3:24 PM

I saw Nixon end the VN war first hand.

My draft lottery # was 5 as freshman at Clemson

Oct 8, 2019, 5:27 PM

Then draft was ended....

Re: pretty sure it was Nixon who pulled our troops out of

Oct 8, 2019, 4:32 PM [ in reply to pretty sure it was Nixon who pulled our troops out of ]

Nam which was Kennedy/LBJ fvck-up.

That is correct...though both sides at the time subscribed to "domino theory"...the idea that if you run from the Communists forever you end up fighting them in your own kitchen.

You think it was better that Nixon sabotaged the

Oct 8, 2019, 5:04 PM [ in reply to pretty sure it was Nixon who pulled our troops out of ]

Paris Peace Accords in '68 to prolong the war to help his campaign? It's well documented and "on the tapes".

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/06/nixon-vietnam-candidate-conspired-with-foreign-power-win-election-215461

Re: You think it was better that Nixon sabotaged the

Oct 8, 2019, 6:00 PM

This.

Nixon was about as sleezy as they come.

Re: pretty sure it was Nixon who pulled our troops out of

Oct 8, 2019, 5:22 PM [ in reply to pretty sure it was Nixon who pulled our troops out of ]

Once again not really correct, this will help.
https://olive-drab.com/od_history_vietnam_advisors.php

Drawing a red line and ignoring American enemies crossing it

Oct 8, 2019, 3:21 PM

There was no cut and run. We only had a thousand troops in the region. It's not as if we abandoned Europe during one of German's attacks or something.

One thing I've learned in my 67 years of life is that muslims of any and all sects will use us to conquer their enemies then turn on us if we hang around afterwords.

We have three events with 30-45 years of history

Oct 8, 2019, 3:33 PM

to judge on, and one with like, 3 days worth.

Definitely the last one was the worst, no doubt.

Our military is phenomenal at winning any armed conflict.

Oct 8, 2019, 3:58 PM

All of our POTUSs and their State Departments pretty much svck at establishing peace afterwards. But leaving behind peace is a whole lot easier said than done.

Syria and Isis were not at all on the scale

Oct 8, 2019, 6:06 PM

of Vietnam or even Iraq. But the pattern is what it is. We lose credibility on every misadventure where’re we end up leaving partners behind. A lot of allies end up fodder for the vultures that swoop in after we leave.

Obama refused to go into Syria, much to Hilldog’s dismay. He was right to question the motivations for getting in deep there. It is easy to look back and blame him, but after all the crap that went down in the prior administration, he couldn’t see why we would possibly want to do it. A lot of GOP warmongers were also highly critical of the decision.

Trump would have not been able to take advantage of such a solid economic foundation had we gone in big there.

2016 when 45 Rs retired from the house***

Oct 8, 2019, 11:14 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2018***

Oct 8, 2019, 11:18 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic