Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Please reread or listen again to what Deshaun Watson said
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Please reread or listen again to what Deshaun Watson said

Aug 18, 2016, 4:13 PM

about dual-threat. He mentioned that the term was code. I don't think he is quite accurate about that. But if you read or listen to what he said, his issue is that people assume because he is black he is going to be a running QB. He is, and says he always has been a passer first. The stereotype is about running versus passing.

It's not really accurate to say it's a stereotype to be called a dual-threat. Both white and black QBs are labeled dual-threats if they can run and pass the ball well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i get where he is coming from

Aug 18, 2016, 4:36 PM

it does have that connotation in fball speak - but its changing, like you said. but it certainly implied what dw is suggesting

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Reminds me of the begining of the Miami game

Aug 18, 2016, 5:07 PM

...last year. Tom McShay (or some other bozo) said DW might be good enough to be a late-round draft pick in 2017. I remember thinking "what the heck is he smoking"???

He said he liked to use his legs 1st, but needed to work on his passing game and increase his arm strength. Again, I thought..."have you even watched DW play before"?

Again, I think because DW is black, and because there was lazy-journalism going on he was being stereotyped. DW4 can stand in the pocket and pick you apart if he needs to. He's a better passer than Cam Newton was his senior year at AU, and Cam's doing just fine.

If DW gets drafted by a good franchise he'll be a pro-bowl guy. He's not as big as Cam, but he's got superior QB skills in my opinion. DW's football IQ is off the charts, and he's cool as a cucumber. He's the stuff great NFL QB's are made of.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You nailed it. That's why DW4 called it's use "lazy".***

Aug 18, 2016, 5:11 PM

So true

Aug 18, 2016, 5:14 PM

Every time I listen to DW4 I'm amazed at his maturity, perspective, and humility. He really does "get it".

Re: Reminds me of the begining of the Miami game

Aug 18, 2016, 5:15 PM [ in reply to Reminds me of the begining of the Miami game ]

But the stereotype is assuming he used his legs first - running instead of passing. Dual-threat is not a racist label.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2016, 5:23 PM

I don't think it was implied. But it's used as a generalization that most people probably associate with a black QB. Comparing DW to a "dual threat" QB like Michael Vick isn't a good comparison.

Eric Crouch was a dual-threat guy and he was white, so I don't think it's a racist term either. But, it is a term that gets thrown around (especially when you're a black QB) to describe a 6-2 215 lb QB who can run and pass with equal success.

Aug 18, 2016, 5:32 PM

There are currently more black QBs labeled dual-threat than white QBs so perhaps there is some sort of warped messaging that goes through people's minds when they hear the term. When I hear dual-threat I don't think color, I think talented and skilled.

^^^ This ^^^***

Aug 18, 2016, 6:07 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well currently there are less white Athelets that can be a threat at both

Aug 18, 2016, 6:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Reminds me of the begining of the Miami game ]

Hopefully there isn't a racial stigma here, or even a concern of one because this is one area that the racial stigma is a good one. For years blacks were not seen as capable of even being a QB, then the idea came about that using the "Back" in Quarter "back" was after all a great idea. It is no secret that per capita, blacks are more athletic than whites. No insult to this at all. He can run the ball and throw the ball as good or better than anyone in the league has seen and he should be proud of that FACT!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well currently there are less white Athelets that can be a threat at both

Aug 18, 2016, 6:25 PM

Agreed. If you look at the links above - pro style versus dual threat - its apparent there are more black dual threat guys and more white pro style guys. If you have to break it down by color, one might conclude that black guys are more skilled and athletic at the QB position. But I don't see why it even has to go there. If you can run and pass well, you're a dual threat. It's a good thing.

Re: Well currently there are less white Athelets that can be a threat at both

Aug 18, 2016, 6:28 PM

It is a good thing to be proud of, I am proud as all hell of DW and wish we could keep him forever, but he is going to do to the NFL what he has done to Clemson and I will be his fan forever

Aug 19, 2016, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Reminds me of the begining of the Miami game ]

I watched the ESPN SC clip where Scott Van-Pelt commented about DW's statement. Van-Pelt seemed to imply that he thinks of Black QB's when he hears "Dual-Threat". I'm not surprised because I just assume people like him see color first in everything. People like that are usually the ones who're most likely to stereotype because that how they see the world. It's kind of scary because they don't realize how they actually are.

Like you, when I think of "dual threat" QB's coming out of High School I don't automatically think of a skin color. People subconsciously compartmentalize information so we can make sense and process it faster, it happens and I understand that generalizations occur.

DW is unique because the old "dual-threat" QB was a better runner than passer. DW is equally excellent at both. He's not a statue like Dan Marino, his skill-set is actually a lot like Steve Young/Brett Farve's. Not bad company to be in.

Aug 19, 2016, 10:04 AM

Agree about Van-Pelt. I just fail to see how dual-threat is a stereotype. If it is, then aren't the terms pro-style, pocket passer, mobile Qb, etc. also stereotypes?

Lately - when I hear the term "dual-threat" I think of DW, but not because of his skin color. Toward the end of Tajh's Clemson career he became a dual-threat as well. But he was a passer first.

If one digs deep into this issue, making the assumption that a QB is black and therefore must be a running QB is a stereotype. But you just can't link that to the dual-threat label.

Aug 19, 2016, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Reminds me of the begining of the Miami game ]

What exactly do you mean by "people like him"??? White American Male??? White Anglo-Saxon Protestant???

Aug 21, 2016, 10:43 AM

Its safe to say that you completely missed my point about Van Pelt.

Aug 21, 2016, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Reminds me of the begining of the Miami game ]

I'll elaborate.

The Van-Pelt's of the world typically aren't Protestant, or even religious. They're secular, and usually liberal. They see everybody not by the content of their character, but by the color of their skin.

I see DW as a person and a great QB. Van Pelt sees a black quarterback. Color is never irrelevant to people like Van-Pelt.

But that's not good click bait.***

Aug 19, 2016, 11:03 AM

null

Re: Please reread or listen again to what Deshaun Watson said

Aug 19, 2016, 11:13 AM

Where did he say the term was code? I didn't get that at all nor did I hear him say that duel threat is negative. He simply said that it's a assumed that black QBs are duel threat, which is true, and that he is a duel threat but people assumed he was run first.

Where are people getting that he said duel threat was code?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Black QBs are never or hardly ever PRO QBs because there is

Aug 21, 2016, 10:57 AM

no way a black QB can be as slow as some 6'5" skinny white guy

I believe he was addressing the media.

Aug 21, 2016, 1:40 PM

I've never heard a Clemson Fan make the mistake of saying he's stronger in his run game than passing. I admit though, when he torched ND with his legs last year it became more than obvious the respect everyone including their defensive backfield for DW's ability to throw.

Imho, it's not an insult to call a QB dual threat but obviously DW was tired of some people ignoring his ability to work in a pocket. I really do not believe he was addressing us, his fans. Therefor, I refuse to contradict him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I believe he was addressing the media.

Aug 21, 2016, 2:14 PM

I agree. With the arsenal he has at his disposal this year. I don't see him needing to break any rushing records this year. Although, I do see him shadering all passing records. The ability to run the ball will be there but the necessity will not. This should be one heck of a year.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic