Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Remembering and revisiting WW2
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,156

Remembering and revisiting WW2

Jun 5, 2019, 10:54 AM

There's a great "album" on Spotify called "Edward R Murrow Reporting from World War II." Every now and then, particularly around significant dates like we'll have tomorrow, I like to listen to the old music to get an idea of what things were like for those guys. The Spotify link is spotify:album:6IBcZNfMQKA3xt3uboWPnC (don't know if that will work here, but you can search on the app) and there's a "track" called "44.09.17 - Air Attacks." Murrow is riding along in a paratrooper plane as soldiers prepare to drop into Holland. If you listen closely, you can hear the flak bursting in the background and you can hear the commander of that group order his men to "stand up". You can then hear all the paratroopers leaving the aircraft as Murrow counts them out. Really interesting to have that little glimpse back in to time.

Hard to believe that on this day, 75 years ago, thousands of young men that would otherwise just be graduating high school or college, or preparing for summer jobs, were instead preparing to cross the Channel, either by boat or by plane, for the largest invasion ever. None of them knew their fate. Many wouldn't return. Many wouldn't even get the chance to fire their weapon. For me, it seems so surreal that something like that actually happened. I'm just thankful for each of those guys that did their job and put their lives on the line so that we and the world could be free. Hopefully we won't just remember the date, but we'll learn the many lessons that history teaches us through it.

For what it's worth, the playlist I listen to is called "Your Hit Parade, The War Years 1941-1945" and has many of the hits from that era, several of them directly war related, as well as audio from Edward R Murrow, Roosevelt, Truman, Churchill, and Eisenhower.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remembering and revisiting WW2

Jun 5, 2019, 11:17 AM

Truly the greatest generation. Compare them to the millenials of today and it is of no real comparison.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2019, 3:10 PM

If you desire to have your kids and grandkids understand what it was like, you better teach them yourself. Most of the schools just might spend a day on the subject and then it’s on to Watergate and Woodstock. Their high water mark.

Jun 5, 2019, 4:16 PM

thank you for the reminder and the great idea. They were the Greatest Generation with out doubt. I'd hate to think what would happen if we faced a similar world crisis today. I frequently send my prayers and thanks to the young people willing to serve today!

Jun 5, 2019, 11:14 PM

How about the 97 year old D-day vet who jumped today in tandem to commemorate the one he did 75 years ago. He said today was much easier. Will be thinking of a cousin from G'ville who jumped with the 82nd. Unfortunately, like many others, missed the target objective as his group was forced to jump too soon when the C47 began taking hits. Landed in the middle of a German unit, was captured after two days of fighting and spent the remainder of the war as a POW in Dresden. Another person in his unit who jumped from another plane was William Windom who became a noted TV and movie actor. He was able to evade capture.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Jun 6, 2019, 8:12 AM

My dad came from a large farming family and was the youngest of 9 children. All of the boys served in the military and three of his brothers served in WWII. The oldest brother was my uncle Joe. He served in the Marines Corps and fought in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He was the toughest man I have ever met. I later went on to serve in the Marine Corps and every time I saw the Iwa Jima monument I always thought of my Uncle Joe, who fought and survived that battle. When times would get tough for me, I always thought of my Uncle Joe and what he endured and it always put my situation into perspective and gave me the strength to move forward.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,156
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic