Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Remembering Hammerin' Hank
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Remembering Hammerin' Hank

Jan 22, 2021, 5:21 PM

The date was 08/09/1966 Atlanta Stadium, Braves vs. LA Dodgers. My Dad took me to see my first Major League baseball game. Sandy Koufax was on the mound for LA. We sat on the front row of the seats above right field watching Hank Aaron. That day I became a huge fan of Aaron and now he is gone, but the great memories are not.
Another date, 04/08/1974. I was on the phone with a girl that I had just started dating (we have now been married 41 years) and we both remember that night as we put the corded phone down to go watch TV and see Hank Aaron break Babe Ruth’s career home run record. Hank Aaron was the greatest baseball player to me and we cheered his accomplishment. Aaron was not cheered by some who did not want him to pass Babe Ruth because of his color. Hank Aaron could have quit due to threats to his life, but he did not.
He persevered because he had integrity and class and he knew that most of America supported his efforts. Hank Aaron kept playing, quietly and resolutely, even in the Deep South. Aaron earned the respect of baseball fans everywhere…just read the tributes today, the day of his passing 01/22/2021. Hammerin’ Hank will be missed, but America will continue to be a better place partly due to his legacy as a man. #HammerinHank

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

R.I.P Hammering Hank...***

Jan 22, 2021, 5:27 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did Denny Lemaster pitch that game in ‘66? Did...

Jan 22, 2021, 5:38 PM

Eddie Methews hit a homer to win ?

Went to ATL in 66 or 67 with Dad to see Dodgers. Remember a rain demand Daddy buyers ice cream in old Fulton County,

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep! The Matthews HR was hit near where I sat

Jan 22, 2021, 5:56 PM

Yes, Eddie Matthews hit a homer off of Sandy Koufax to right field in the bottom of the 9th inning, near my seats. I still wish I had that ball!
The worst part of the game was former Clemson baseball player was picked off of third base by the Dodgers catcher.
The best part = Hank Aaron and my first major league hot dog!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OMG obviously I was there... 9 years old & 1st MLB game.***

Jan 22, 2021, 6:20 PM

Did Denny Lemaster pitch that game in ‘66? Did...

Jan 22, 2021, 5:38 PM

Eddie Methews hit a homer to win ?

Went to ATL in 66 or 67 with Dad to see Dodgers. Remember a rain demand Daddy buyers ice cream in old Fulton County,

Re: Remembering Hammerin' Hank

Jan 22, 2021, 5:39 PM

Well said. I remember many trips to Atlanta down I-85 from Greenville to see Hank and the Braves in the late 60's and 70's. I never remembered any threats on Hank but I guess they did exist. RIP my childhood baseball Hero.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2021, 6:21 PM

I'm sure there were some threats from a few idiots, but I believe that likely high 90s per cent of baseball fans in the southeast were Hank Aaron fans. Every fan I knew was all for him breaking the record.

I was stationed in Marietta for my Air Force tenure (1967-71); just after graduation from Clemson. I was at the old stadium for many Braves games and saw Hank hit many over that left field fence. I think the last one I saw in person was his HR in the 1972 All Star game.

My AF buddies and I sometimes went to several games a week. Sometimes we took our ladies, and sometimes it was just us guys. We could get good tickets from special services for $2.50 each and only had a 30 minute drive to the stadium. Parking was free.

Lots of fond memories of seeing Hank play and the great times with my AF friends. Sadly, most of those good old boys are gone now too.

Jan 22, 2021, 6:59 PM

Like many, the late 60's & early 70's was my favorite era of baseball.

I recall the All Star games as being loaded with future HOFers. With the start fan voting, there were games with players like Mike Schmidt & Rod Carew on the bench. On the plus side of fan voting, you still had selections of Hank Aaron & Willie Mays at the end of their careers too

Jan 22, 2021, 8:13 PM

RIP Hank you were one of several boyhood heroes that i truly will miss from my childhood . Pistol Pete, Dale, and Charlie rip boys.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hammerin' Hank is STILL the true Home Run King. Every

Jan 22, 2021, 8:19 PM

one of Barry Bonds tainted long balls should be stricken from the record.

The sad part is, he had Hall of Fame numbers BEFORE he starting juicing, but he was greedy and wanted an unfair advantage.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2021, 9:21 PM

Great story. Thank you for sharing. It brings back many great memories at the old Braves / Falcon stadium. I remember going when there were 5 to 10 thousand fans in the stadium. I remember greats like Clete Boyer, Davy Johnson, Hammering Hank, Dickie Deats, Orlando Cerpado, as well as many others from the late 60’s and 70’s.

I was at one of the games when a couple Braves fans were giving it to Cesar Cedeno Houston Astro’s first baseman. The fans would not let up. They were calling Cendo a jail bird because he did some time. Finally Cedeno snapped went up in the stands and started fighting with these guys. Everything stopped while this went on. Funniest thing I have ever seen at a MLB game. Below is the article.

One night the Braves played the Reds. We yelled at pet all night long asking how does a man really like to feel. This was when he was doing the aftershave commercial. Great times.

Use to watch the Chief do his dance around the pitchers mound then run like the wind out to his TeePee. When the Braves hit a HR he would come out of his TeePee and dance. He represented the Braves well. Ted Turner and Bobby Cox should receive so much credit for the turn around of the Braves.

I really enjoyed some great times with my Dad ( My Best Friend ), family outings in Atlanta along with several great friends attending Atlanta Braves Ball Games at Fulton County Stadium and Turner Field.

Go Braves!
Go Clemson Tigers!

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/09/09/sports/astros-lose-cedeno-fights-with-fans.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Enjoyed the article about the Astros-Braves

Jan 22, 2021, 10:14 PM

Names like Claude Washington, Chris Chambliss, Rick Camp, Bob Horner, etc. bring back a lot of memories.
The next year was a great year for the Braves. Seems like they got off to a red-hot start and coasted into the playoffs

Re: Enjoyed the article about the Astros-Braves

Jan 23, 2021, 12:10 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t Bob Horner the only MLB player to go straight from HS / College to the Major League Team. ?? I know they tried to send him down to Richmond but he refused to go. Eventually, Horner became a main stay at 3rd base. He was a natural hitter and played defense at an above average to excellent level. I remember the blond hair from being a West kid. Horner came to the Braves after Hank Aaron had retired , I think.

Another first in MLB involves Hammering Hank Aaron. He was the first to earn a salary of $200,000 per year. Seems like chump change based on today’s contracts. In Hank Aaron’s time they played more for the love of the game.

But while he was on the Braves Roster Hank Aaron was the heart and sole of the Braves.

Jan 22, 2021, 10:04 PM

I deeply apologize because I did not know The best Brave ever passed away when I submitted my humorous post. Hank Aaron passed today. I am extended prayers out to the Aaron family, The Atlanta Braves organization and all Braves or Hank Aaron fans. He represented himself , his family, the Braves and Black Mem and Women in fact he represented All of us no matter the race with class, character and integrity. I will always cherish the memories of Hank Aaron and the Braves.

RIP Henry Hank Aaron January 22, 2021 The True Home Run King! The other guys are HR kings with the help of steroids and PED.

Re: Remembering Hammerin’ Hank

Jan 22, 2021, 10:35 PM

In 1965 before they became the Atlanta Braves, they were in Milwaukee for one last year I guess to fulfill contracts/obligations. Atlanta Stadium was built and they came up from Florida from Spring Training on the way to Milwaukee and played an exhibition game against who I don’t remember (maybe Atlanta AAA team at the time the Crackers). I was 10 and there. Hank’s brother Tommie was on the team at that time and hit the first home run in Atlanta Stadium. I always remember that as ironic that his brother hit the first and Hank dominated the HRs from there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"My body stunk but I kept my funk"- 'Every Picture Tells A Story, Don't It'

Jan 22, 2021, 10:41 PM

One year in Atlanta I think they were the Atlanta crackers a triple A team before they became the Atlanta Braves.

Jan 22, 2021, 11:32 PM

The Crackers were the AAA team for the Cardinals (I think). Played at the old Ponce de Leon Park. They played one year in Atlanta Stadium before Braves came. My Dad took me to a few games that year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"My body stunk but I kept my funk"- 'Every Picture Tells A Story, Don't It'

Jan 23, 2021, 12:38 AM

Thank you for the information. That’s pretty cool that your Dad took you to one of the crackers games. Great memory with your Dad!

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic