Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Reloading next year. Welcome your thoughts. Is
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Reloading next year. Welcome your thoughts. Is

Nov 16, 2018, 6:54 PM

this the biggest senior class we will ever lose talent wise? I’m thinking defensive line specifically, but also add Mitch Hyatt. Back in the day we lost Steve Fuller, Bostic, Dwight Clark etc. in one year.

What I love is how we have been able to play every player that dressed out for most of out games this year. As Dabo has said before, game tape is valuable. Add to this, Saben plays first and second teams most of Alabama’s games, I hope our recruits have taken notice of this.

I really think we are at the elite level where we have someone right behind the guy he backed up for one year. He knows he will be the next guy the following year.

It’s great to be a Tiger!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reloading but not as much powder in the rounds

Nov 16, 2018, 7:09 PM

Defensive line will be above average, but not as good as this year. Carmen will be above average, but no Hyatt as a senior, more like Hyatt as a sophomore. Skill positions on offense should be better. Other than the DL, it will depend on who stays and who leaves early (personally I think any of them leaving early would be a mistake). That leaves the rest of the OL which should be a years experience better except at center.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we lost even more from the 2014 defense

Nov 16, 2018, 7:19 PM

Then we came back in 2015 and ended up playing for the National Championship.

It's astounding how many starters we lost from the #1 defense in 2014. We lost the entire starting D-line (and a few backups) along with 2 starting LBs and two starting safeties.

Corey Crawford
Tavaris Barnes
Grady Jarrett
DeShawn Williams
Josh Watson
Vic Beasley
Stephone Anthony
Tony Steward
Robert Smith
Garry Peters
Martin Jenkins

We also lost several offensive lineman from that 2014 team.

Isaiah Battle (supplemental draft)
Reid Webster
David Beasley
Kalon Davis

As well as an important starting slot receiver.

Adam Humphries

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

And went 15-0 the next year

Nov 16, 2018, 7:31 PM

and was 2-3 plays from winning it all.

Pretty amazing when you look at it that way!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not quite 15-0***

Nov 16, 2018, 7:41 PM

Re: I think we lost even more from the 2014 defense

Nov 16, 2018, 8:07 PM [ in reply to I think we lost even more from the 2014 defense ]

Why are all you focusing on the past????

Really ?? ??

There is a real issue about having foundational both OL and DL

And this is a most serious question for next season.

The OL may not be as crushing an issue as the DL and depth next year.

However, get real, the OL is still a question this season. Needing more consistency and more toughness. This is still a critical need.

Our current strength in specialty players can not over come shortcomings in OL and DL.

Unfortunately CU still struggles in getting the needed quantity of OL and DL prospects to consider us.

Go Tigers

Nov 16, 2018, 8:23 PM

I'm a little concerned about DT next year... I would guess our starters would be Jordan Williams and Nyles Pickney?

DL-Thomas, Williams, Pinckney, Henry

Nov 16, 2018, 8:30 PM

starters will be stout. Backup-Rudolph, Kelly, Jeffries, Foster. Incoming freshmen will have a chance at early time. Building depth will be a focus much of the first half of the year. Not lacking talent though.

OL will be just fine if not better. Starting 5 of Carmen, Simpson, Cervenka, Bockhorst and Anchrum will be nasty. Experienced backups as well

Nov 16, 2018, 8:34 PM [ in reply to Re: I think we lost even more from the 2014 defense ]

Nobody's focusing on the past except to illustrate that Brent Venables and the defensive staff have a track record of reloading even when we've had more losses than we will have this year (as well as developing talent - see Grady Jarrett).

We haven't had any trouble recruiting DTs or DEs. We had numerous DTs that transferred recently because they weren't getting playing time (Josh Belk, Sterling Johnson, Jabril Robinson). We recruited two 5* DEs and a 4* DE last cycle along with a 3* DT and a 4*/5* DT who left (Belk). That's not trouble recruiting. We got the players we were targeting.

Yes, we need to land some more OL recruits and we've not done as well here, but we've only got two leaving. We shouldn't be in any worse shape next year than we are this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Not sure that Peters was in

Nov 17, 2018, 1:42 AM [ in reply to I think we lost even more from the 2014 defense ]

that class

Re: Reloading next year. Welcome your thoughts. Is

Nov 16, 2018, 8:57 PM

We could have Big Dex come back next year, just like CW42, Bryant and Ferrell did this year. Add Thomas and Henry and you've got very little dropoff from this year's legendary group.

As for the offense, well, it should be unworldly.

I think "reload" is precisely the right word.

Nov 16, 2018, 9:50 PM

In theory, we could get Ferrell back as well. That would be incredible, but I think the power rangers all go to the NFL as a group.

Nov 16, 2018, 10:56 PM

We won't get one guy back on the DL. We all know that.

Nov 16, 2018, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Reloading next year. Welcome your thoughts. Is ]

Never happening. We will have an entirely new DL. We know 2 starters though. Nyles and Xavier. That's not a bad way to start. That would have been so great if Huggins would have had another year.

Nov 16, 2018, 11:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Reloading next year. Welcome your thoughts. Is ]

We could have Big Dex come back next year, just like CW42, Bryant and Ferrell did this year. Add Thomas and Henry and you've got very little dropoff from this year's legendary group.

As for the offense, well, it should be unworldly.

I think "reload" is precisely the right word.

I was wondering the same thing if maybe big Dex will come back like the other Power Rangers did last year. There are a lot of highly rated defensive linemen this year, but I can understand if he wants to leave to get paid the money he deserves.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2018, 10:02 PM

I agree. Being able to play everyone has been huge. We should be in the playoff again next year if we stay healthy. Sure we will see a drop off at DT and LT, but other than that we may be improved everywhere.

Nov 16, 2018, 11:42 PM

How can anyone out score us next year with what we have returning on offense?

Our OL recruiting has lacked numbers

Nov 17, 2018, 12:20 AM

We really need to pick it up recruiting wise on the OL. We just dont have a lot of bodies. I don't think it will be detrimental for next season but we have to pull some good ones soon.

The DL will be down a little as far as depth but we should be okay. We've been in the situation where our starters are playing 70-80% of the snaps. Most teams can't rotate their boys like we do. We will be fine at DE with XT on one side, XK or Henry at the other. Does Register have another year, I think so. Mascoll and Foster are there as well. Inside Pinkney, Jordan Williams, Jefferies???? Maybe we'll play the speed package with 3 guys that normally line up as DE. I love Coach V but he's gonna have his work cut out for him next year. Potentially we could be looking at replacing all 4 DL starters and 1 backup that would start anywhere else in the country. Joseph is gone. Lamar could go as could Simmons. Fields is gone and Mullen could too. A lot of mock drafts are showing Lamar and Mullen in first 3 rds. If this happens we are going to take a Serious step back. But I have no fear. Our offense should break records and Coach V is incredible.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our OL recruiting has lacked numbers

Nov 17, 2018, 12:40 AM

Big concern is DT. I honestly think Mullen goes and the rest of the juniors return (don’t count DexStar as he is gone). Nyles, Williams, XK, maybe the new guy Johnson shows out but DT drop off will be huge. With that said DE will be great again with who we have waiting.

Honey think OL with Carmen, Bockhorst, GC, JSimpson, and Someone will be a very good OL. Add our skill talent and we will average 35+ next year on O. Win a natty this year and rebuild with a playoff visit the next. TLaw will most certainly win his 3rd year too.

Re: Our OL recruiting has lacked numbers

Nov 17, 2018, 4:15 AM

Who replaces the soccastee slicer?

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic