Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about DW and the team
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,321

Question about DW and the team

Oct 17, 2016, 11:08 AM

I know he's put on some weight, and I'm sure it's almost all muscle. And he needed it if for no other reason than not getting injured again. But I've noticed some things have changed this year. He's routinely overthrowing the really deep balls. I think every game this year we've gotten a WR open on a fly route for a sure TD and the ball sails 10 yards past the WR. I've also noticed the balls being thrown behind the receivers on slant routes where the player has to slow up to catch them. I know there are plays designed for the throw to be short and the WR breaks back to the ball, (like that fake fade route this past game), but I know these slants are designed for the WR to catch the ball in front of them so they don't break stride.

Basically, DW seems to be under-throwing the short passes and overthrowing the long passes. I remember one play all the WR's were covered so DW passed the ball to his dump off guy on a short sideline pass. He under threw it and the receiver had to pick it up off the dirt.

I'm just wondering if all that time in the weight room and conditioning isn't messing up his accuracy by making him stronger than he used to be? As a wiry freshman right out of highschool he looked like an injury waiting to happen. And it did. But his quickness seems to be off when running the ball as well. I saw him tuck the ball and run into the pile this game for a no-gainer where he could have cut it outside and made who knows how many yards.

As for the team, I see some things that are different as well. Some games they look as if they want to do just enough to win, and no more. You see us get up two TD's and then the defense slacks off (Louisville), and you saw it with Troy. Then you have a BC game when we're up against the nation's #1 defense (by the numbers) and we obliterate them. And frankly our second string looked better than our first against BC.

But with NC State, this wasn't us playing just good enough to win. That was Louisville, Troy, etc. This game we gave them the chance at a win with a relatively short game-winning field goal which they missed. Then, notice how we came out and dominated in overtime? It's like the light clicked on for them to try again, just like it did at the end with Louisville when we marched down and got a TD after being stalled for the entire third quarter on offense.

And the turnovers (fumbles) are almost all, if you look at them, due to unnecessary second effort to gain another foot on plays. It's almost like they're trying TOO hard for extra yardage when they just need to fall. And this isn't always happening in a 3rd and short situation.

These are just some things I've noticed with DW, and with the team, that concern me. We look mental instead of physical out there. DW, to his credit, does not get screwed up by turnovers, which is a credit to him. He just keeps on going. I think over the season you will see our team does better on the road, especially at a "quiet" place like BC. Up there we dominated because we could just go and play. No crowd to please. No pressure. We just played well. It would not surprise me a bit to see us go to FSU and dominate them. We seem to play with cooler heads and less pressure on the road.

That's my .02.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fire Batson!***

Oct 17, 2016, 11:09 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. Work with DW to get his accuracy back

Oct 17, 2016, 11:12 AM

with 10% more strength. That's all. He needed the weight added if they're going to run him a lot and have him not get injured. He just seems to have problems adjusting to it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fire Streeter!***

Oct 17, 2016, 11:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Rehire Chad Morris as QB coach

Oct 17, 2016, 11:19 AM

Seriously, I think that's his calling. If he doesn't coach QB's in the NFL, he should stick to coaching QB's in college. I would argue he's one of the best QB coaches in the country. Not OC or HC, but as a QB coach, he's the best IMO. He built a rep as an OC and then went on to be a HC, but if you really think about it, it is his work with the QB's that gave him his success. Now he's out positioned himself salarywise, but I see his next move to coach QB's in the NFL just because he won't take the salary cut to coach them in college.

Re: Rehire Chad Morris as QB coach

Oct 17, 2016, 11:34 AM

> Seriously, I think that's his calling. If he doesn't
> coach QB's in the NFL, he should stick to coaching
> QB's in college. I would argue he's one of the best
> QB coaches in the country. Not OC or HC, but as a QB
> coach, he's the best IMO. He built a rep as an OC
> and then went on to be a HC, but if you really think
> about it, it is his work with the QB's that gave him
> his success. Now he's out positioned himself
> salarywise, but I see his next move to coach QB's in
> the NFL just because he won't take the salary cut to
> coach them in college.

I do not want Morris back on our staff.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dont either because it would not work due to the past

Oct 17, 2016, 11:35 AM

But he needs to stick to coaching QB's somewhere.

kidding....

Oct 17, 2016, 11:27 AM [ in reply to No. Work with DW to get his accuracy back ]

I think there has to be something to what you are saying. He needs to grow into his new body

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And I'm serious about Chad Morris.

Oct 17, 2016, 11:35 AM

His best contribution to any team would be as a QB coach. He dominated HS football in Texas with excellent QB coaching and a fast paced offense to take advantage of the QB. But his entire offense was QB centered, and at the college level, it can be schemed. But what he did with Tajh Boyd, was nothing short of miraculous. Tajh was a good QB, but Chad put him into the Heisman conversation. We now have a better OC situation than with Chad, and Streeter is doing good, but I promise you DW would have done even better with Chad as his QB coach. Then again the team would not be as good as it is now if he was the OC. Chad will not make it as a head coach or even as an OC, but I see him leaving SMU for the NFL someday to coach QB's. That is his calling.

Re: Question about DW and the team

Oct 17, 2016, 11:23 AM

Very perceptive post. The same issues we all SHOULD see.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,321
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic