Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recruiting snapshot '18
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Recruiting snapshot '18

Dec 11, 2017, 11:03 AM

Seen lots of posts wondering about who we get to finish off the '18 cycle. Figured I'd make a post and link it on my profile so it can just be referenced quickly. Feel free to comment and I'll update this list.

Offensive Targets:
- Justyn Ross - 5* WR from Alabama. Down to us, Bama and Auburn. We likely lead, but might go all the way to signing day. TE
- Cade Mays - 5* OT from Tennessee. Down to us, UGA and OSU. Tennessee is likely out, but they keep trying (bless their hearts). I'd say prolly 60/40 us over UGA right now. Both sides are confident, but UGA being a rival to his childhood team will play some sort of effect. Commits on the 20th. EE
- Jackson Carman - 5* OT from Ohio. Down to us, OSU and USC (real one). OSU leads and we are probably a distant third. I believe he commits on the 22nd. EE
- Lyn-J Dixon - low 4*/high 3* RB from GA. Down to us, Louisville and Oklahoma St. Tennessee might still be in it. We have been the "favorite" for a while, but him not pulling the trigger yet is surprising. Will likely commit sometime in January. Staff has given him until the end of December before we move on other targets. TE > Update: Probably committing/signing on December 20th. Likely down to Oklahoma St and Clemson (due to cancelling Louisville visit).
- Jashaun Corbin - low 4*/high 3* RB from FL. Probably down to us and FSU. Was an FSU commit that decommitted after Jimbo left. Taggart will likely get him to recommit. Has wanted a Clemson offer for a long time, but will likely end up at FSU due to Clemson waiting on Dixon. If he has not recommitted by the end of the year and follows through with his official visit to Clemson in January (and Dixon has not committed to Clemson), I'd expect him to receive an offer and could commit on the spot. TE
- Jamaree Salyer - 5* OG from GA. Might already be a silent to UGA. Would consider him a UGA lock.
- Jovaughn Gwyn - 3* OG from NC. Probably between NC St and SCar. Highly unlikely Clemson gets back in it after slow-playing.

Defensive Targets:
- KJ Henry - 5* DE from NC. Clemson lean. Also considering UGA and VT heavily. Alabama and SCar are probably out of it. Commits on the 20th. EE
- Brendan Radley-Hiles aka "Bookie" - high 4* DB from NV, now at IMG in FL (height keeping him from 5*). Down to us, Florida, Oklahoma and UCLA. I'd say it's probably even across the board right now. TE
- Patrick Surtain Jr - 5* DB from FL. Down to us, Bama, Florida, LSU, OSU and FSU. LSU is the public and industry favorite. Would take a miracle for Clemson to land him. Might not even get an official. TE
- Tyson Campbell - 5* DB from FL. Down to Alabama, Florida, Miami, UGA, OSU, LSU and Clemson. We might be able to sneak back in if we an get an official visit. Miami is the leader. TE
- Quindarious Monday - 4* S from GA. Committed to Auburn and probably solid. EE
- Matthew Hill - High 4* WR/S from GA. Committed to Auburn (as WR) and probably solid. Clemson recruiting as a S. TE
- Anthony Cook - 5* DB from Texas. Down to LSU, OSU and Texas. Likely a Texas lean and commits on the 20th. EE
- Chamarri Conner - high 3* S from FL. VT commit. Clemson is yet to apply the press. Would not expect a flip. TE
- Nigel Bethel Jr - low 3* CB from FL. Florida commit. Clemson has offered but not applied the press yet. Nigel is ranked outside of the top 1000 players, but has elite speed and cover skills. I'd expect him to be a developmental CB that would contribute his JR/SR years. TE
- Jaycee Horn - low 4*/high 3* CB from GA. Was once a Tennessee commit. Is now likely a SCar lean. Doubt we go after him hard. TE
-Leon O'Neal Jr - high 4* S from Texas. Was an A&M commit. A&M and Oklahoma likely lead but we do have a small possibility if we can get an official. Will probably recommit to A&M very soon. TE Update-> Released a top 4 of Clemson, UGA, Oklahoma and TA&M on Dec 13. Looks like we are solidly in it. An official visit could be huge here. Hopefully we can get him to come to campus at the beginning of the year.

Summary:
My best guess would have us ending up with Henry, Mays and Ross. Dixon would be the next most confident on the list, but that is still foggy. I think Bookie is the CB we feel the best with, but he is definitely not a lock/lean and many in the industry would say we are behind both UCLA and Oklahoma. We have an outside shot at Campbell and Carman, but I don't see us landing either. OL and DB/S are really the only 2 positions we have multiple spots left. I'd expect that we only take 2 OLmen this cycle (Mays and McFadden) and save the spot for next year. Then I hope we can land either Bookie or Campbell, but would not be surprised if we got an under-the-radar guy close to signing day and then save the third spot for a 2019 guy.

Landing Henry, Mays, Ross, Dixon and 1 DB would put us at 17 commits and easily in the top 5 for quality of commits. Anything else is just icing.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Disclaimer: I am not a recruiting expert or insider. I am just an observer and recruiting follower.

Edit #1: Added EE for early enrolling and TE for traditional enrolling for each main target.
Edit #2: Update for Leon O'Neal and Lyn-J Dixon.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Recruiting snapshot '18

Dec 11, 2017, 11:08 AM

Wow! You must be a pro at this.

^^^Didn't read the disclaimer***

Dec 11, 2017, 11:42 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^^Didn't read the disclaimer***

Dec 11, 2017, 12:11 PM

Guess I should have put it at the top. lol

Wouldn't have mattered.

Dec 11, 2017, 5:10 PM

poo-pooers have to poo-poo.

Thanks for posting. Question about

Dec 11, 2017, 11:09 AM

RBs. I know we have been on Dixob for a while. Can we not get in on someone higher than a low 4/high 3. Maybe 2019 we are on with higher backs. I don't know. Coaches know what they are doing, I'm just a fan.

RB recruiting has been weird this year

Dec 11, 2017, 11:17 AM

There is really only a few elite RBs in this cycle. Probably one of the worst RB years in recent history. I'm not even sold on the 5* RBs being 5*-worthy any other year. That being said, we went all out and missed on Zamir "Zeus" White, who was clearly head and shoulders above anyone else in this class. The rest of the top backs we really never went after because we were waiting on Zeus. Dixon/Corbin are probably about as good as any of the other RBs ranked from 5-25, but none of them are Travis Etienne. Dixon presents some matchup problems similar to Ellington in that he's a good receiver and is dangerous in space. Corbin is more like Jacques Patrick.

'19 is a little bit better than this year for RB talent. Quavaris Crouch is a Bama-style back from Charlotte, NC. Problem is that we might pursue as a LB and that could affect things. Noah Cain from Texas (plays at IMG) is also an elite back that we are in on early. We are also in it with Devyn Ford, who is elite. I would expect us to land one of those three or another top back in '19.

WEEEE TOOOO DEEEEP***

Dec 11, 2017, 11:10 AM

Dec 11, 2017, 11:12 AM

how about Leon O'Neal? XT seems to think we have a great shot at him, but i dont see him mentioned on the boards often.

any updates?

Will add and update***

Dec 11, 2017, 11:19 AM

BTW BOOKIE IS NOW A 5*

Dec 11, 2017, 11:15 AM

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/brendan-radley-hiles-12454

Re: BTW BOOKIE IS NOW A 5*

Dec 11, 2017, 11:18 AM

Thanks, was just looking at composites for the most part. Kid is a legit stud.

BTW Bookie lives in Calabasas, CA near Los Angeles

Dec 11, 2017, 11:27 AM [ in reply to BTW BOOKIE IS NOW A 5* ]

PRAY FOR VICTIMS OF CALIFORNIA WILDFIRES

Bookie will be a TIger.***

Dec 11, 2017, 1:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bookie will be a TIger.***

Dec 11, 2017, 1:09 PM

I've got a suspicion of the same thing. But publicly it looks wide open. I think we have made up some major ground recently.

Calabassas is a long way away, however since he came a long

Dec 11, 2017, 1:59 PM

way, he could come here hopefully. Also, that is a fire endangered area he is from...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BTW BOOKIE IS NOW A 5*

Dec 11, 2017, 6:51 PM [ in reply to BTW BOOKIE IS NOW A 5* ]

Looks to be very very good!!!

Dec 11, 2017, 11:43 AM

Sweet insight! Thanks for sharing.

Mackey's take on the situation

Dec 11, 2017, 12:38 PM

We will get somewhere between none and all of these recruits. They may play once they get on campus. I guess we'll see.

^^^^good analysis is good***

Dec 11, 2017, 12:43 PM

Re: Mackey's take on the situation

Dec 11, 2017, 1:19 PM [ in reply to Mackey's take on the situation ]

Is that the Reader's Digest condensed version of the OP? If so, excellent job!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I certainly do appreciate the input Psycho I think we

Dec 14, 2017, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Mackey's take on the situation ]

didn't need MP to tell us that but then that might be your point. Player development is very good among these coaches as you can tell by Etiene but then I have to believe with our new facilities and three straight ACC Championships plus the obvious Natty and third straight trip to the final four it seems more five stars should be knocking down our door like they did Spurrier and Florida back in his hayday but I'm very happy the way it has worked out obviously. I'm just a little surprised even more, especially DL and RB's, aren't sitting around hoping we call. Which does not mean I'm unhappy with the recruits we have. That is important. I hope my point is taken the right way. GO TIGERS!

Dec 11, 2017, 3:47 PM

Awesome Update. Thanks. ??????

Dec 11, 2017, 6:57 PM

I appreciate your take on all of this stuff , and I swear that recruiting news in December excites me more than a reindeer on Christmas eve .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I agree. The 20th could end up being Clemson’s Christmas

Dec 11, 2017, 7:24 PM

I know I’d rather have two 5* commitments on that day than the boxers/socks/whatever coming to me on the 25th.
And most of the predictions are just me reading tea leaves. I read literally every update on 4 different sites.

Re: I agree. The 20th could end up being Clemson’s Christmas

Dec 13, 2017, 2:42 PM

I love recruiting and I love reading all that our coaches do for recruiting. And the thing that recruits have to say is pretty interesting. But with every recruit that are on top of the recruiting board that our staff is after the most, are the ones that I'm more interested in and try to follow. The very moment that one of them start with game playing with peoples heads I turn them right off and they don't matter to me personally anymore. The very most important thing I don't do, I don't waste 30 seconds of my life worrying about if they come to us. I will always along with other Tiger fans wish them well, and relate to them that they would never regret coming to Clemson, some may, but it really isn't that many. But without being a close friend, a mother or father, a coach or who ever else is close to them, there isn't a thing that I can do to get them in a Clemson uniform. Believe or not, there are things that ordinary fan can do to turn them away, and that is why I say that if you don't have something good to say about them, it is better for Clemson FB if you just don't say anything at all!!! Here is to us getting all that out coaches believe will better our our FB team. And for our fans as a team, always be nice when it comes to recruiting these "kids"! ! ! ! !

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can you add the enrollment plans of each recruit?

Dec 11, 2017, 7:30 PM

Early Enrollment / Traditional Enrollment

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Yes, I will try to add

Dec 12, 2017, 9:06 AM

at least for the most likely targets.

Do you want commits too?

Re: Yes, I will try to add

Dec 12, 2017, 9:40 AM

'Beggars can't be choosers', but yeah, I think it's relevant to any recruit whether they are committed or not.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Re: Yes, I will try to add

Dec 13, 2017, 2:48 PM [ in reply to Yes, I will try to add ]

Can you do the silent commits also?;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2017, 9:06 PM

2 side notes
KJ said not much interest in UGA anymore, Tyson said he doesn't like being at Clemson when he was at the cookout claiming we "pressured him".

Dec 11, 2017, 9:09 PM

Campbell has also said we're pretty much back in it. Probably still ends up at Broken Chain U, but there's been some movement for us to get back in.

Dec 12, 2017, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Recruiting snapshot '18 ]

Both of those are incorrect. KJ is still legitimately considering 4 schools. Alabama is the one that has backed off, not UGA.
And Tyson has left the door open for Clemson to still secure an official visit. Crazy things happen when we get kids on campus for an official. "We" did not pressure him. It was some of the commits that were there with him.

Dec 11, 2017, 9:17 PM

Thanks ... lots of good information from someone who supposedly is not an expert. Thanks for sharing.

Dec 13, 2017, 2:52 PM

Well it's the experts that are wrong most of the time!!!

Is Justyn Ross planning on announcing during the early or

Dec 13, 2017, 4:31 PM

normal signing day?

TIA

Re: Is Justyn Ross planning on announcing during the early or

Dec 13, 2017, 5:46 PM

I believe he is taking it to February signing day.

Maybe NSD, maybe a bit before that

Dec 14, 2017, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Is Justyn Ross planning on announcing during the early or ]

I think he will commit sometime in January. His original plan was to go all the way to NSD, but I think we have such a lead right now that I think a commitment during the UA game is possible.

thanks gtriple! Very insightful!

Dec 14, 2017, 10:35 AM

You answered a LOT of questions I had with that awesome post. Thank you sir!

Re: thanks gtriple! Very insightful!

Dec 14, 2017, 10:38 AM

No problem. Most of this info is from experts on this site and others and I am just putting it all together and updating it.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic