Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Re: Recruiting rankings and coaching performance
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Oct 13, 2012, 11:15 AM

I've read Lowcountry's posts on recruiting classes and underachieving, and he's caught a lot a flack. I think he's got a legitimate gripe. Here's another spin on his point: How does SCAR lose two first rounders off last year's defense as well as the DC and the defense is arguably better this year than last? SCAR's recruiting classes only average about a 15 ranking over the years.

I don't have an answer for it except it must be coaching. This would include the S/C coaching. It somewhat makes Lowcountry's point doesn't it?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2012, 11:19 AM

I agree with both of you, and i will go ahead and TU you to try and curb the potential tsunami of TD you may receive for publicly agreeing with LCR. :)

COLLEGE: A three-year starter at strong safety for Clemson, finished his career with 234 tackles and 11 interceptions.

Oct 13, 2012, 11:35 AM

Junkie - Thanks for the TU even though I didn't actually come out and say I agreed with LCR. Since you did though, I have TU'd you back.

Gave your OP a point. I think the key is, even if you don't

Oct 13, 2012, 1:22 PM

agree with me, you recognize most of my posts are objective, well reasoned, and supported by numbers, facts, evidence. As such, they deserve respect and legit debate, not angry childish attacks.

The only reason people get angry, defensive, and nasty is because they know the facts aren't on their side. They know they are wrong, but unwilling to admit it.

Look at criminal trials. You know the defendant is guilty when the defense team's only strategy is be as nasty as possible and try and discredit every witness and muddle the facts with high paid experts willing to say anything for a fat check. If the facts were on their side they'd present them and win.

Look at the election. If Obama had been successful, had he not failed on almost every campaign promise, if he had anything positive to run on, he would. But he doesn't, so he resorts to class warfare, phony wars on women, panders to every special interest group he can dig up, and is running the dirtiest, most divisive campaign in American history. The only group of kool aid drinkers with more lame excuses than tnetters is the Obama campaign.

Twice in the past week there have been tnet articles making the exact same points I have made for years and been viciously attacked. I've said for years we needed to tackle and be more physical in practice and supported that with quotes from our past DC's and ex-Tiger greats. I've also been posting for years that talent alone will not win. It takes player development and superior coaching as well.

I am on record saying give me average talent with great coaching and I love my odds vs. great talent and poor coaching. VT has proved this for years, as have many other programs. Great coaches get immediate results and show significant improvement in years two and three. This has been proven over and over.

Additionally, coaching turnover does not hurt a program when the goal is winning and finding a great coach. Again, anyone knowledgeable and objective can clearly see within 3 years if a coach is making significant progress. If it were me, I'd hire and fire every 3 to 4 years till I found a winner. People will say no coach will go to a program like that, but they are wrong and history has proven that. Clemson has everything to be great except the desire to be great, which comes from the top. If we still had Bill Atchley as president and Bill McClellan as AD we'd be a top 10 program.

That's another point I've been right about yet attacked relentlessly. I've said for years that Barker's actions speak infinitely louder than his words. Now suddenly we have a new COB who has said enough is enough and winning matters. Tnet is all giddy about it and we're spending big money on coordinators to compensate for Dabo's lack of ability, but it proves I was right all along.

Coaches aren't concerned with turnover because it shows a commitment to winning. They have huge egos and unlimited confidence in their abilities. When a program with Carolina's history can get the Tanners, Holtzs, and Spurriers of the world, Clemson can get ANY coach it wants if it shows it is committed to winning and willing to pay. And only someone ignorant would think we can't afford it, we certainly can.

From '69 to '78 Clemson had 5 coaches - Howard, Hootie, Red, Pell, and Ford. How did 5 coaches in 9 years turn out? GREAT! Pell went 11-1 his 2nd year and Ford won the national championship his 3rd year.

Compare that to 14 years of TB and Dabo.

I'll take Ford's '81, '82, '83, '87, '88, or '89 teams over Dabo's 2012 team every day and twice on Sundays.

Stability has NOT gotten us back to where we were under Ford. Beamer at VT is the exception to the rule. Contrary to myth, Bobby Bowden made an immediate impact at FSU, just like Spurrier at Duke and Florida.

We are NOT significantly better under Dabo even with more games and a much weaker ACC. YES the ACC was in fact better in the late 70s and 80s and a scan of the final AP top 20 polls since 1975 proves it.

Teams take on the personality of the head coach and play like they practice. Stereotypes and cliches persist because they are largely true.

Getting back to the OP, people don't have to agree with me, but they lose the argument when they avoid debate and go straight to flames and personal attacks. If they really thought I was wrong they'd engage me, rather than harass me and bait me till I defend myself poorly using their tactics. I don't get in trouble with the powers that be because I'm wrong, but because it's easier to silence me than the drunk and ignorant masses. The reality is, they know I'm right and they are wrong, but they are personally invested in Dabo, which objective people avoid. Our loyalties are to Clemson, not people. As it should be. Pumpers are like Obama supporters and the MSM. They refuse to admit they are wrong. They refuse to admit they made poor emotional choices versus rational thought based ones. Thus, they double down and keep drinking the kool aid and attack those that dare question them.

Another quick analogy. Secretariat is the greatest horse of all time. Yet only a fool or someone ignorant of horse racing would think Secretariat would have been just as great with any trainer and jockey. Horse, jockey, and trainer are a team and each is critical to success just like players, coaches, S&C, and leadership from the top. Secretariat only finished out of the money in 1 race, his first. They immediately changed jockeys and Big Red won the next 5 and the rest is history.

Until Wilkins forces Barker to make more changes and cut out all of his interference, and until we get a better head coach that cleans house, including s&c, and starts over and changes our soft emotional culture, we aren't going to get significantly better.

My worst nightmares of hiring Dabo are coming true. We're doing slightly better, making it hard to fire him, but we are not making significant improvement, we are not any tougher, and we are still grossly under achieving.

You cry repeatedly Numerous times in Every post about

Oct 13, 2012, 6:49 PM

being Vicously attacked but yet every post is attacking Dabo. Hilarious!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2012, 5:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Recruiting rankings and coaching performance ]

dude i saw ncstate barely go .500 and have 4 guys on dline go nfl. one of them went 1st in draft

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It isn't just the rankings but which players make up those

Oct 13, 2012, 11:26 AM

rankings. Our classes have been dominated by offensive skill players. USC's have been more balanced with offensive and defensive linemen. Coaching and strength and conditioning are also an issue. I still believe the best way to build a successful program that competes at a high level over the long haul is with great defense , solid offensive lines and a good running back. High powered offensives are unpredictable and put too much pressure on offense.

Re: It isn't just the rankings but which players make up those

Oct 13, 2012, 11:39 AM

Coneross
I think making sure you have recruited the right kind of player/position would still come under coaching wouldn't it?

A HC's top jobs are managing recruiting, managing staff,

Oct 13, 2012, 1:40 PM

motivating, and game management. It's called leadership. Dabo has clear deficiencies in all of those areas.

I love how the pumpers went insane pumping Dabo following signing day year after year, now suddenly they are saying our coaching is great, but we lack the talent. It's like watching the incompetent Obama campaign. Every day a new excuse, a new lie, a new distraction, while Obama continually gets a pass and is hailed the savior.

Clemson and USC have flip flopped the 80s. We have

Oct 13, 2012, 1:33 PM [ in reply to It isn't just the rankings but which players make up those ]

lots of skill, but not a great OL nor defense. We are running a high powered, but soft offense. Compared to USC, which has a power rushing/play action pass offense and great defense. Really weird to see. And oh by the way, those that keep saying Danny Ford football is the past, Spurrier and Saban are clearly proving them wrong.

Re: Clemson and USC have flip flopped the 80s. We have

Oct 13, 2012, 3:29 PM

Explain how we have a "soft" offense. Our running game has been pretty good all year and our RB has more yards than SC's heisman RB.

Our OL is average at best. We're better in short yardage

Oct 13, 2012, 4:02 PM

this year, but not great. Ellington has struggled as the season has progressed and his average has declined the past several weeks. That's on the OL. We had 5 straight 3 and outs vs. FSU during the critical swing in the middle of the 2nd half. Anyone watching us play would never confuse us with a tough team. Ford had at least 5 or 6 teams that would eat this current team alive and ask for seconds.

Re: Our OL is average at best. We're better in short yardage

Oct 13, 2012, 4:15 PM

omg i thought groundhog day was over.

I love how I answer a direct question but you just C&P the

Oct 13, 2012, 4:22 PM

same nonsense. I keep posting the same things because we keep having the same issues. I'm not the problem, Barker, Dabo, et al are the problem.

Yeah Boyd looks real soft running the ball and AE

Oct 13, 2012, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Clemson and USC have flip flopped the 80s. We have ]

is one of the best RB's and has made many many plays after contact. The Oline is light years better than what you dumpers said preseason. That broken record is getting scratches on it

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Been several games since EA broke 100 yards and his avg

Oct 13, 2012, 5:12 PM

has been in steady decline for weeks.

Oct 13, 2012, 12:01 PM

Good offences always ranks high,good defence not so much.

Re: A HC's top jobs are managing recruiting, managing staff,

Oct 13, 2012, 2:23 PM

Winning 10 or 11 games in this cupcake conference is not a reason to say we have improved. If he looses to usuc for the forth year in a row, I would hope he is on the hot seat.

Agree. We could go 10-3 and accomplish nothing but

Oct 13, 2012, 3:37 PM

10 wins in a weak conference. And calling the ACC weak is putting it lightly.

We could easily lose to USC and our bowl and be 10-3, but NO div title, NO ACCCG, NO conf title, NO BCS bowl, be 0-4 vs. USC, and another bowl loss. Even worse, not a single win versus a good/solid team. No wins vs. teams finishing in the top 25.

TB won 9 games in 2007, we ran him off in 2008. Keeping Dabo for winning 10 while losing to every tough team we play is insane!!

Pumpers of course will continue their denial by chanting "first ACC title in 20+ years" as if it means we are significantly better or competitive on the national scene. Neither of which is true.

Sorry, coot. Not that easy to lose Dabo. He is class.

Oct 13, 2012, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Re: A HC's top jobs are managing recruiting, managing staff, ]

Spurlid is trash. Just listen to him talk --- trash talk. JERK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hatfield & TB were class, but class alone wins nada!! That'

Oct 13, 2012, 5:11 PM

is the problem with our fan base. They prefer a nice guy image HC over success on the field. Few great coaches are choir boys.

Oct 13, 2012, 3:32 PM

just keep in mind clemson is tied with UNC and LSU for most dlineman drafted the past few years.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More proof we have talent meaning our problem is coaching.***

Oct 13, 2012, 3:50 PM

Re: More proof we have talent meaning our problem is coaching.***

Oct 13, 2012, 3:56 PM

We have one of the best Dline staffs in the country.

Yet our dline is pathetic and we haven't had a great D since

Oct 13, 2012, 4:13 PM

the very early 90s. The more you post, the more you make my points for me. And while some of our D's staff might have had success at other programs, as a staff together at CU under Dabo they have been one massive fail.

Slapping together a bunch of good parts doesn't guarantee success. Additionally, contrary to tnet experts, the head coach has a tremendous amount of influence over success.

I said we needed to tackle in practice and was pathetically attacked and told we did. Yet now Dabo is admitting we didn't and now we are to address the issue.

Time and again I'm proven right by the facts and you tnet experts proven wrong. It's been this way since 2001 and will continue. Why? Because while I love Clemson, I'm objective. A fan base in denial is a programs' worst enemy. I'm not loyal to coaches nor administrators, I'm loyal to Clemson.

Re: Yet our dline is pathetic and we haven't had a great D since

Oct 13, 2012, 4:16 PM

our dline is pathetic this year because we are rotating 3 tackles that are not old enough to drink yet. We have lost a tremendous amount of talent on D to the draft the last 3 years, it is on its way back.

needless to say Steele was off on some of his evaluations, Koennings players are gone and it is showing.

In other words, more excuses. Stop talking out both sides of

Oct 13, 2012, 4:19 PM

your mouth.

Re: In other words, more excuses. Stop talking out both sides of

Oct 13, 2012, 4:21 PM

chill dude, maybe you can go see danny at the fair and feel better.

I'm fine you're the one making the excuses.***

Oct 13, 2012, 4:24 PM

Re: Yet our dline is pathetic and we haven't had a great D since

Oct 13, 2012, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Yet our dline is pathetic and we haven't had a great D since ]

You say you are objective but every one of your posts is the same narrow minded, negative opinion. You never point out the good things Dabo has done, always the bad. I think everyone is in agreement that it wasn't the best hire on paper and Dabo has made plenty of mistakes, but he has also done things that haven't been done in a long time at Clemson.

One thing I never see in your posts is a solution to all the problems you say we have had for all these years. Just a bunch of bitching. You're worse than my wife.

His soloution is fire the coach

Oct 13, 2012, 4:36 PM

if he were to ask anyone across the country or ESPN guys, if Dabo should be fired, he'd be laughed all the way back to Columbia. Guy is just the same old crap. O by the way here is a message I got today on if i'm close to being banned

Was told by this guy I was close to being banned

Message From: Bmeist on Oct 13, 2012 12:03 PM

I don't know where he got that from, you're good. Just easy on the insults rather warranted or not

They almost always support coaches even obviously bad ones***

Oct 13, 2012, 5:00 PM

Re: They almost always support coaches even obviously bad ones***

Oct 13, 2012, 5:04 PM

Of course, what was I thinking? You're never wrong huh? Dabo is here to stay for a good long while, so keep wasting your time and don't get on the band wagon when we win or you will be called out.

Patently false. I have repeatedly given him credit for the

Oct 13, 2012, 5:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Yet our dline is pathetic and we haven't had a great D since ]

Morris hire and credit for recruiting, although that is overrated. His classes are rated on average the same as TB's last 3. I ran the numbers. Sorry if your little feelings can't handle reality and the truth.

I musta missed that buried in all the negative Dabo hate

Oct 13, 2012, 5:10 PM

nothing you say is reality. Just living in fantasy world. Just keep hating, but like I said don't come talking good when you see what the future has in store. Just stay with your delusional hate. 98% of Tnet agree with me, 2 % with you. Yet the 98 % are delusional. Only in your world

Re: you are entitled to have your say - but so do I

Oct 13, 2012, 4:32 PM

To say we are not better? you have got to be joking. solid recruiting for several years - and not just a couple of 5 stars that bring up the average. We have an amazing group of receivers, another good group of linemen coming in, we now are recruiting a bigger circle than just SC. Some times defenses or offenses just don't work. Case in point - UGA defense (and sometimes offense), UF Offense, LSU Offense, and did anyone watch Oklahoma blast Texas today? does that mean all of those coaches are bad? of course not. The root issue of so many complainers here is simply that while Clemson is better, SC is ahead of us right now. If SC was 2-9ish like they generally have been over the past 100 years - would you still think that our coaches are bad? of course not. Things cycle - it is SC's time - but like most class programs - they win more than they lose. SC will go back to their average and Clemson will continue to be a very good program. I would rather have a class program like Clemson without coaches peeing on the street, many arrests, Garcia's, etc - than a short term winning streak.
Just my opinion.
Go Tigers - I for one - am proud to be a Tiger and support you all the way!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The guy can't see the very bright future for his hate in the way

Oct 13, 2012, 4:36 PM

As a team on the field we are not significantly better. I

Oct 13, 2012, 5:09 PM [ in reply to Re: you are entitled to have your say - but so do I ]

said we were better many times, just not significantly better.

TB won 9 games in 2007 and owned USC.

Dabo - 0-4 vs SC, 1-3 in bowls, 10-4 last year only 1 win better with far better OC and weaker ACC. Terrible record vs. GT & Top 20 teams. Losing season year 2, TB, with far less talent never had a losing season.

Are we better? Yes.

Are we significantly better? Are we competitive on the national scene? Not yet, far from it.

Learn how to read and comprehend.

Re: As a team on the field we are not significantly better. I

Oct 13, 2012, 5:10 PM

well who do you wanna be? cant think of a team in college or nfl that meets that criteria

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As a team on the field we are not significantly better. I

Oct 13, 2012, 6:34 PM [ in reply to As a team on the field we are not significantly better. I ]

just for clarification, what is Dabo's record in the Valley the last 2 years?

Oct 13, 2012, 5:11 PM

and Dabo has a win against the coots, that you seem to forget about

Re: Re: Recruiting rankings and coaching performance

Oct 13, 2012, 6:27 PM

Not as a HC. Some of my coot friends say Spurrier let him win that one so we would hire him.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic