Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recruit Update: Pirates select Clemson baseball signee No. 9 overall
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 94
| visibility 1

Recruit Update: Pirates select Clemson baseball signee No. 9 overall

Jun 6, 2013, 8:04 PM

Pirates select Clemson baseball commit No. 9 overall

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

okay Lecroy

Jun 6, 2013, 8:19 PM

let's see this good recruiting that Mickey Plyler speaks of you so much. GET HIM TO COLLEGE!! the good ones do, just sayin

Re: okay Lecroy

Jun 6, 2013, 8:20 PM

uhh, thats not going to happen. too much $ available for signing

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2013, 8:25 PM [ in reply to okay Lecroy ]

good lord find me that long list of top 10 picks that turn down millions to go to school. they are few and far between.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every year a first round draft pick...

Jun 6, 2013, 8:41 PM

turns down the money to go to college. In 2010 Karsten Whitsen turned down the money to go to Florida. In 2011, Tyler Beede turned down the money to go to Vanderbilt (the same year Clemson lost Daniel Norris who claimed he "loved Clemson and really wanted to go to school there"). Last year Mark Appel turned down 3.8 million from the Pirates to go back to Stanford for his senior year and became the #1 pick this year, where he'll probably get 8 million. He could also find himself in the Majors by September, but likely not any later than the beginning of next season.

So it's not unheard of but rare.***

Jun 6, 2013, 8:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So it's not unheard of but rare.- very rare for us

Jun 6, 2013, 8:51 PM

apparently

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very rare for anyone it seems

Jun 6, 2013, 8:55 PM

Seems about 1 a year for first round players. SO that's about 3%.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Every year a first round draft pick...

Jun 6, 2013, 11:16 PM [ in reply to Every year a first round draft pick... ]

There's one year from your junior to senior year and three between now and the end of your junior year.

A huge difference between Appel and Meadows's situations.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

But Appel lost his "leverage"...

Jun 6, 2013, 11:23 PM

by going back to college for his senior year. He will also move up the system MUCH faster than Meadows could. A large part of Meadows' signing bonus will likely be gone by the time he gets to the Major Leagues (if he gets there at all) because minor league players barely make minimum wage and they don't get paid during the offseason.

Re: But Appel lost his "leverage"...

Jun 6, 2013, 11:26 PM

Really?

Go back and take an Economics course.

$3 million invested properly can care you through life.

null

Wow

Jun 7, 2013, 7:23 AM [ in reply to But Appel lost his "leverage"... ]

So you are trying to say that he is going to SPEND more in 5 years than the median family in the US MAKES in 40.

Dayum. You really are off your rocker on this one.

Jun 6, 2013, 9:01 PM [ in reply to Re: okay Lecroy ]

Just gotta match their offer and he's ours

Re:Recruiting a kid that is not going to ever play for you

Jun 6, 2013, 9:26 PM [ in reply to okay Lecroy ]

is like putting a milk bucket under a bull.

Re:Recruiting a kid that is not going to ever play for you

Jun 6, 2013, 9:31 PM

I would rather have him commit to us than the c$$ts

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he doesn't show up...

Jun 6, 2013, 9:36 PM

signing him accomplished nothing. No one cares who a college signs that doesn't get to campus.

Re: If he doesn't show up...

Jun 6, 2013, 9:39 PM

I do not agree!! I think it speaks well of our program for someone like that to commit and sign.. he might help us in the future???

Nope...

Jun 6, 2013, 9:45 PM

Nobody cares where somebody signs if he doesn't show up. Clemson certainly doesn't promote those that didn't get to campus. The only way he'll help in the future is if he's patrolling center field. What did Clemson get out of having Madison Younginer sign with the Red Sox? What good did it do for Neil Walker to sign with the Pirates?

Re: If he doesn't show up...

Jun 6, 2013, 11:31 PM [ in reply to If he doesn't show up... ]

We signed him. What happened if he slipped in the draft and came to Clemson instead? If we didn't get him he would have ended up at South Carolina. We were his top 2.

But if he doesn't show up...

Jun 6, 2013, 11:35 PM

then Clemson accomplished nothing by signing him. Nobody cares who a school signed that didn't get to campus. "Well, he WOULD have gone to...". Yeah, well, nobody cares. If he doesn't come, then Clemson didn't "get him".

You're right, Lecroy should have looked into his

Jun 6, 2013, 11:59 PM

crystal ball three years ago and realized that this kid was too good to go to Clemson and given up on him....

Give me a break, that's the dumbest #### thing I've heard all week.

Any number of things could have happened that could have had him end up here, and you can't just give up on talent cause there's a chance they'll go in the first round. Hell, look at last year, Crownover was set to go early until his TJ surgery bumped him down a few rounds, and now he's a sub 2 ERA weekend starter.

Quit acting like a coot and use your brain.

Edit: Lecroy wasn't here 3 years ago, but you get what I'm saying.

Message was edited by: tgrfn787®

What did Clemson gain by signing him?...

Jun 7, 2013, 12:04 AM

And don't give me the "well, he would have gone to Clemson" BS because nobody cares about that. College is not just a "fall back" in case the draft doesn't work out. And Austin Meadows knew before he signed that it was likely he'd be drafted high. The next time Clemson lists someone that didn't play there as a "Tiger in the Pros" will be the first time. Do you want what's best for Clemson or for the kids?

Re: What did Clemson gain by signing him?...

Jun 7, 2013, 12:28 AM

You still didn't answer the question. What if he didn't get drafted where he wanted and ended up in school but we didn't recruit him? What if he grew up a Clemson fan but we thought, "There is no way he ends up at school, he'll go pro, let's not waste our time" so we don't even recruit him and then he goes to USC. Then who complains when he's killing Clemson in two years? That's right US. We signed him, he didn't end up at Clemson. THAT'S IT. It happens, it's baseball dude. He made the decision he thought was best for him, but I'm sure he's probably lying in bed right now wondering why "baseballfan" on Tigernet doesn't approve.

Clemson didn't gain anything by signing him...

Jun 7, 2013, 12:37 AM

and if he wasn't committed to Clemson, or any other school, then he shouldn't have signed. Nobody cares who a school signs that doesn't show up. The fact that he signed with Clemson doesn't do Clemson any good down the road. Are you saying Clemson didn't waste the time by signing him? What did Clemson get out of it? The fact that he MAY have played here? Who cares? College isn't a "fallback" in case he doesn't get drafted where he wanted. Hunter Harvey didn't sign with a college and he still was drafted in the first round.

Re: Clemson didn't gain anything by signing him...

Jun 7, 2013, 12:41 AM

You're making no sense now. You basically just repeated what I said. We signed Meadows. Done. Will he go pro? Maybe, if he does, good for him, if he doesn't, well then we just got our starting right fielder for the next 3 years. He's the #2 outfielder in the country. I'm sure Leggett didn't mind taking a little time and recruiting the kid. Worst case scenario he goes pro, not the end of the world. He did what's best for him, congrats Meadows, good luck to you.

If he goes pro, does that help Clemson?...

Jun 7, 2013, 1:03 AM

Of course not. What does he have to lose by going to school? Very little. There's a VERY slim chance that he could suffer a career-ending injury, but he could do that crossing the street. The money will still be there three years from now, college baseball won't be.

And he's a center fielder, a position that Clemson will need very badly next year since Thomas Brittle has graduated. And no, Clemson can't go out and find one just as good at this point. If he doesn't show up, the program suffers. And yes, one player can make a HUGE difference in the future of a program. Don't you think UNC would have been better off if Madison Bumgarner or Rick Porcello had showed up? Wouldn't Clemson have been better off if just ONE of the group of Jeff Francouer, Zack Greinke, Matt Whitney, or Jeremy Hermida had showed up? Just think if Jeff Francouer had done what Kyle Parker did and showed up a semester early. How nice would it have been to have him in right field for the 2002 season? So yes, one player can make a HUGE difference in a team's success.

If he doesn't sign we are in the exact same position as now

Jun 7, 2013, 8:50 AM

Looking for a CF not as good as Meadows. Jack knows the deal, he will have planned for it. You've got the wrong take on it. In a situation like this, its all upside for Clemson. If he doesn't come, oh well, its like we never had him to begin with. If he does come, hot #### we just got a 1st rounder

Everybody does it

Jun 7, 2013, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Clemson didn't gain anything by signing him... ]

Here are the 12 High school players that were drafted in the top 25 picks. You'll see that only one of them chose not to sign with a University, and almost all of them signed with major programs who have been to the CWS in the past.

the #4 pick signed with A&M
the #5 pick signed with UGA
the #8 pick signed with Texas
the #9 pick signed with Clemson
the #10 pick signed with Cal State Fullerton
the #11 pick signed with USC (the real one)
the #14 pick signed with San Diego (not sure if it was UCSD or SD State)
the #16 pick signed with USC (again the real one)
the #21 pick signed with Sakerlina
the #22 pick did not make a commitment
the #24 pick signed with TCU
the #25 pick signed with Florida

That doesn't make it right...

Jun 7, 2013, 2:55 PM

any more excuses?

Are you really going to argue right or wrong?

Jun 7, 2013, 3:08 PM

This isn't kindergarten, right or wrong doesn't apply in the grown-up world.

This is the way the recruiting game is played and Clemson plays it just like every other major program.

Plenty of teams have signed guys that they then lost to the pros and still gone on to win national championships without those players.

Why did we even offer him then?

Jun 7, 2013, 7:26 AM [ in reply to What did Clemson gain by signing him?... ]

If Meadows knew he was going to be a first rounder then Jack knew he was going to be a first rounder. Jack knew the risk by offering him.

What did they lose by signing him

Jun 7, 2013, 2:14 PM [ in reply to But if he doesn't show up... ]

it's not like they didn't continue to recruit other outfielders.

Re: What did they lose by signing him

Jun 7, 2013, 2:25 PM

we did not lose ANYTHING but we did gain by having him associated with Clemson in a positive way!! I think this is a big win

I think you're an idiot...

Jun 7, 2013, 2:58 PM

He's not associated with Clemson if he doesn't go to school. And who cares whether he recommends Clemson to some other kid? "I think you should go to Clemson" "Why, you didn't?" "Yeah, well, I didn't need Clemson, I got my money anyway".

They didn't GAIN anything from signing him...

Jun 7, 2013, 2:56 PM [ in reply to What did they lose by signing him ]

if he doesn't make it to campus. Clemson loses a great deal if he doesn't show up.

No more than UGA, Texas A&M, or Cal State Fullerton

Jun 7, 2013, 3:03 PM

they all had guys drafted early in the first round, they're all losing just as much.

Not true

Jun 7, 2013, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Re:Recruiting a kid that is not going to ever play for you ]

these kids all know each other, and having big name commitments increases interest in your program and helps pull in other recruits.

Re: Re: okay Lecroy

Jun 6, 2013, 8:21 PM

Beat me to it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Recruit Update: Pirates select Clemson baseball signee No. 9 overall

Jun 6, 2013, 8:42 PM

so whats that...3 years in a row now where we lose our top recruit in the draft. We just have the worse luck with recruiting or we recruit these guys for no reason whatsoever knowing good and well they're gone already.

Not Clemson related...

Jun 6, 2013, 9:09 PM

but the Cardinals just drafted a pitcher from Gonzaga #19 overall. A guy from the University of Jacksonville went #18.

I guess that's JL's fault, too***

Jun 6, 2013, 9:16 PM

Here you go folks

Jun 6, 2013, 9:36 PM

baseballfan and deroberts now have their 2014 excuse: "If Meadows had only signed we wouldn't have this problem"

In 2012 we heard all about how the talent was down and the incoming class was going to make a difference.

In 2013 we heard all about how we were so young.

In 2014 the excuse-makers will point at the talent loss from the draft, even though every supposed high level program loses talent each year.

Getting a LITTLE ahead of yourself there...

Jun 6, 2013, 9:38 PM

I haven't made any excuses for the 2013 season. Then again, to some of you anything but "Leggett sucks" is an excuse.

Re: Here you go folks

Jun 6, 2013, 10:04 PM [ in reply to Here you go folks ]

2012 - Did the recruiting class not make a difference last season?

2013 - Were we not young?

I know that now you think I'm an "excuse-maker" now, but I'm really not, those are 2 legit points IMO

Those two will argue with a stop sign

Jun 6, 2013, 10:06 PM [ in reply to Here you go folks ]

Wouldn't smell #### if they stepped in it

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If our best 4 football signees never set foot on campus it

Jun 6, 2013, 10:31 PM [ in reply to Here you go folks ]

would undoubtedly affect the program. That's not an argument, that's a fact.

Many people don't care about the program...

Jun 6, 2013, 10:33 PM

as long as the kids "get their money" then plenty of fans don't seem to mind. Money does NOT make it right. I'm sure Mark Appel wishes he taken the money last year. NOT.

When we have a player who might not make it

Jun 6, 2013, 11:39 PM [ in reply to If our best 4 football signees never set foot on campus it ]

primarily because of grades in football since the draft rules are different, we typically recruit a fall-back option at the same position instead of whining about it in the media like Jack has done concerning the MLB draft multiple times in the past.

Take the money to the bank...sign with the Pirates

Jun 6, 2013, 10:06 PM

you can come back to college down the road.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

College baseball will not be there down the road...

Jun 6, 2013, 10:15 PM

the opportunity to go pro still will be. This "you can still go back to college" crap is stupid. He signed TO PLAY BASEBALL, not to go to Clemson when he fails as a professional.

Pretty sure poster did not say....

Jun 6, 2013, 10:28 PM

he would come back and play baseball. What he is saying is take the money and you can still come back and get a college education if you want to.

Guess you can't read...

Jun 6, 2013, 10:30 PM

I don't care that he can come back to college later. He signed TO PLAY BASEBALL NOW. Is that so hard to understand? This "you can always come back" crap has to stop.

Not sure why a kid should limit his options.

Jun 6, 2013, 10:42 PM

Are you saying all players that sign to play at a university should play regardless of where they are drafted and how much they could make? Why is it bad for a guy to choose to give it a go in the professional ranks knowing he can come back and get a degree somewhere if it doesn't work out. What am I missing?

don't you know...playing baseball for Clemson is the

Jun 6, 2013, 10:46 PM

ultimate goal of every kid....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YES!!!!...

Jun 6, 2013, 11:08 PM [ in reply to Not sure why a kid should limit his options. ]

if you sign to play for a school you should do so. End of discussion. I don't give a flying **** that you can come back to school later. That isn't the point. HE SIGNED TO PLAY BASEBALL FOR CLEMSON FOR THE 2014, 15, and 16 SEASONS! Is that really so hard to understand? Did he sign to come to school 5 years from now? And I don't want to hear the BS that "I really love Clemson and wanted to play there" because that's a lie. Anybody that really wants to play for Clemson will do so. I get so sick of reading where these kids spread all these lies about their intentions. Just tell the truth BEFORE the draft. That's what Hunter Harvey did. He didn't have any desire to go to college so he didn't sign with one. He was still drafted in the first round. I guess a kid doesn't owe the coach that signs him anything, does he? Dabo Swinney could never be a baseball coach. He doesn't like it when kids that make VERBAL commitments continue to take visits even though they haven't signed. Would you feel the same if the NFL had the same draft rules? Why should baseball players have rights that football and basketball players don't? Why should baseball players have the right to "see where they're drafted" before deciding whether to go to school? And don't give me the scholarship BS because that wouldn't matter.

Re: YES!!!!...

Jun 7, 2013, 12:12 AM

But who are you to decide what Austin Meadows is to do with the next 3+ years of his life. He's the #2 rated outfielder in the country and he got drafted in the top 10. I know it's Grayson High School, his parents may be well off, but what if they aren't? What if they're up to their eyes in debt and mortgage payments? Are you the one that's going to decide if Meadows is to take the money and help himself and his parents or go to school? No. That's HIS decision, let's leave it at that. Sometimes you have to take a chance, and in this case taking the money is a bigger chance because it WILL be harder to make it to the bigs. But he's a great talent and he obviously believes he made the right decision.

Baseball players should have different rights because it's a different sport with different rules. If you don't like them right a letter to the NCAA, Tigernet won't change those rules, they've been like that for a while.

If they're up to their eyes in debt...

Jun 7, 2013, 12:30 AM

then he shouldn't have signed with Clemson since he couldn't afford to go. Stop making excuses for these kids. You obviously care more about the kids and their bank accounts than you do Clemson. So baseball players should be able to manipulate the schools that sign them while football and basketball players can't. Yeah, that makes sense. All I know is that if you sign with a school you should honor the commitment, regardless of the money. College isn't a "fallback" if the draft doesn't work out. I sure wish Clemson could sign somebody like Tyler Beede who turned down a first round offer two years ago to go to Vanderbilt. I guess you would have advised him to go pro too, huh? Take the money because it may not be there three years later. Well, I'm sure Tim Corbin is glad he didn't.

Re: If they're up to their eyes in debt...

Jun 7, 2013, 12:36 AM

So you're calling me a bad person because I care more about high school kids and their futures over our university. You're ridiculous dude. First of all, you aren't going to win me over because I'm 20 years old. I think the exact same things Meadows does, I'm sure of it. You're being dramatic. One recruit would be great but this isn't basketball, it won't make or break a whole season.

YOU are the one not thinking. You're putting a college baseball program before this kid's future. Have you ever met him? Have you met his parents? No, you haven't so don't sit there and make the decision for Austin Meadows. We can sit here and talk about how the system is messed up all we want but that is how it is. Ranting about nothing on Tigernet isn't going to change that. I just said that. Pull out a pen and some paper, write a letter to the NCAA, put a stamp on it and drop it off at the post office if you don't like the system. Arguing on a messageboard about what's right and wrong for an 18 year old does nothing at all.

I want people to do what they say they're going to do...

Jun 7, 2013, 12:44 AM

it's black and white. You sign with a college, you go to college. It's isn't a matter of "Well, I'll go if I don't get the money I want". If you think like he does then you don't have any more class than he does. And if you're admitting that you'd lie to make money then that's a pretty sad statement. Yes, I put Clemson's best interests over the kids because they've supposedly made a commitment to Clemson. Nobody forces anybody to sign an NLI. I DID meet Madison Younginer AND his dad and his dad stood there and flat-out lied to me. He told me that they had too much respect for the Clemson coaches to drag out their decision until the last minute and that's exactly what they did. So I don't care whether he makes it or not. In fact, it'll suit me just fine if he fails miserably.

Re: I want people to do what they say they're going to do...

Jun 7, 2013, 12:50 AM

Haha you just don't understand the whole process. Have you ever been recruited to play a college sport? Probably not, so I don't think you understand everything that goes on. I understand that he signed a letter of intent morally he SHOULD honor it. But that's not how it goes. If it had to go like that they wouldn't let high schoolers enter the draft. That's what it comes down to. This process has been like this for a while and you calling Austin Meadows a liar is kinda sad itself. You are essentially saying Austin Meadows, Lucas Sims, Jeff Franceour, etc. all deserve to just rot in hell I guess because they can't honor their word to a baseball coach.

"In fact, it'll suit me just fine if he fails miserably." This right here is absolutely embarrassing to Clemson University. You are saying this about an 18 year old kid. You should reread what you're saying and reconsider your though process because if you are wishing the worst on this kid you may be a great Clemson fan but you're a terrible person. Bless your heart.

I guess you missed the part...

Jun 7, 2013, 1:08 AM

where I said that Madison Younginer's father stood there and flat-out lied to me. Why should I want him to succeed since he father lied to me? I'm saying those players lied because they didn't keep their word to the coach that signed them. In Francouer's case, it was Tommy Bowden. He had a full ride to go to Clemson, so money wasn't the object. Plus, his parents had plenty of money anyway. MOST players that sign to play baseball come from middle-class or better families. Clemson doesn't sign players that can't afford the tuition.

Re: If they're up to their eyes in debt...

Jun 7, 2013, 7:24 AM [ in reply to If they're up to their eyes in debt... ]

> then he shouldn't have signed with Clemson since he
> couldn't afford to go. Stop making excuses for these
> kids. You obviously care more about the kids and
> their bank accounts than you do Clemson. So baseball
> players should be able to manipulate the schools that
> sign them while football and basketball players
> can't. Yeah, that makes sense. All I know is that if
> you sign with a school you should honor the
> commitment, regardless of the money. College isn't a
> "fallback" if the draft doesn't work out. I sure wish
> Clemson could sign somebody like Tyler Beede who
> turned down a first round offer two years ago to go
> to Vanderbilt. I guess you would have advised him to
> go pro too, huh? Take the money because it may not be
> there three years later. Well, I'm sure Tim Corbin is
> glad he didn't.

Why don't you go away and take Leggett with you, Clemson would be a lot better off with out you or him.

I've seen you post on here for almost ten years and you've

Jun 6, 2013, 10:46 PM [ in reply to Guess you can't read... ]

changed user names but still haven't changed the fact that if you disagree with someone they are wrong.

he will have PLENTY of money to go to school

Jun 6, 2013, 10:45 PM [ in reply to College baseball will not be there down the road... ]

and in fact in most professional contracts are funds set aside to go back to school. Take the money.

You must be illiterate...

Jun 6, 2013, 10:59 PM

it's not about going to school. I don't care that he can go to school later. He signed to play baseball NOW. He can't go back and play baseball. He can still go pro 3 years from now. Honor your commitment. The **** with the money.

Re: You must be illiterate...

Jun 6, 2013, 11:12 PM

The !$%# with the money?

The NCAA Rules cover this.

Going to the pros now versus waiting 3 years and possibly losing $3 million is a personal choice.

Let the kid figure out what to do.

I know what I would advise and you would be upset.

You may be independently wealthy though.

Every situation is different.

null

Of course you'd advise somebody to "take the money"...

Jun 6, 2013, 11:20 PM

because it's all about the money and not about doing the right thing. Do any of you care about anything but the money? I'm certainly not wealthy, but I do believe in in honoring your commitment. And that commitment isn't dependent on the money. Can you prove that somebody would lose 3 million dollars? No. There's the chance, but there's an equal or greater chance that the money will still be there 3 years from now. Plus, college players tend to start out higher and move up faster through the system.

Re: Of course you'd advise somebody to "take the money"...

Jun 6, 2013, 11:36 PM

"The right thing" here is taking the money. Honoring a commitment is one thing, turning down an insane amount of money for an 18 year old is another. By the time he's 22 he will probably be in AAA if not the bigs so he's not really starting off any lower. He was drafted 9th, there isn't much to improve on there.

No...

Jun 6, 2013, 11:45 PM

doing the "right thing" is honoring your commitment to your college. Madison Younginer and Richie Shaffer were in the same HS class. Richie went to college and Younginer didn't and Richie was drafted higher, got a bigger bonus, and is playing at a higher level than Younginer is. He's much more likely to make it to the Major Leagues than Younginer is. In your world, Tyler Beede would have taken the money 2 years ago instead of going to Vanderbilt. By the time next year's draft comes, it's unlikely he would have lost any money and he'll move up through the system of the team that drafts him faster than he would have out of HS. Over 60% of the players that made their Major League debuts last year were drafted out of Division 1 colleges. Less than 15% were drafted out of HS.

Re: No...

Jun 7, 2013, 12:07 AM

But that doesn't always happen. The Yankees drafted a kid who played travel baseball with one of my former high school teammates in 2012. He was committed to Coastal Carolina but they offered him $1 million dollars to go pro and he took it. He comes from a very poor family. He may have gone to Coastal and been phenomenal and got drafted earlier in three years (he went in the early 3rd round I think), but he might not have. Many people wondered why he didn't enroll at school but like I've been saying, none of us can speak for the kid. Sometimes it comes down to what's best for you and your family and not appeasing the fans and coaching staff of a university.

If he couldn't afford college...

Jun 7, 2013, 12:14 AM

then he shouldn't have signed (if he actually did) with Coastal Carolina. I get so sick of people acting like baseball NLI don't mean anything. And don't give me the "leverage" BS. College isn't about "leverage". It isn't a "fallback" in case the draft doesn't work out. DeShaun Watson made a visit to Auburn after VERBALLY committing to Clemson and people go crazy over it. Yet nobody seems to care when players that SIGN to play baseball for Clemson don't show up. It's amazing the hypocrisy involved in sports. Doing the right thing isn't conditional. Money doesn't make doing the wrong thing right.

Re: If he couldn't afford college...

Jun 7, 2013, 12:22 AM

I won't argue with you because we clearly have differing opinions. Football recruiting is different than baseball recruiting, it's as simple as that, it's always been that way and it won't change.

And if you're wondering why if he signed or not google his name: Jordan Cote. Drafted 3rd round by the Yankees, got $750,000 and not $1 million like I thought.

College isn't used as leverage. Almost all of these high school kids commit to schools and set a signing bonus number in their head, if it hits that they go pro, if it doesn't they play in college. That's just what happens.

NLI means ONE thing................

Jun 7, 2013, 12:52 PM [ in reply to If he couldn't afford college... ]

It means that IF a player plays his college sport he will play it for you. It offers NO other guarantee.

Actually, it means nothing...

Jun 7, 2013, 1:12 PM

but you don't care about Clemson either. Do these HS kids pay you to tell them to bypass college? I hate this friggin system and the deceit that it encourages.

Re: Actually, it means nothing...

Jun 7, 2013, 2:59 PM

deceit? The coaches knew that this kid had a chance of never getting to campus.

null

It means EXACTLY what I said it means........

Jun 7, 2013, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Actually, it means nothing... ]

nothing more,nothing less. You just get so wrapped up on the whole subject that you are unable to comprehend or accept it. My statement was a simple statement of FACT as to what the NLI does.

Re: NLI means ONE thing................

Jun 7, 2013, 4:12 PM [ in reply to NLI means ONE thing................ ]

why is it so hard to get this point across to guys on here?
There is no hurt on either side.. I would much rather a player sign with us than someone else.. IMHO Jack knew he was gone the entire time.. no damage to the Tigers

Jun 7, 2013, 7:27 AM [ in reply to Of course you'd advise somebody to "take the money"... ]

> because it's all about the money and not about doing
> the right thing. Do any of you care about anything
> but the money? I'm certainly not wealthy, but I do
> believe in in honoring your commitment. And that
> commitment isn't dependent on the money. Can you
> prove that somebody would lose 3 million dollars? No.
> There's the chance, but there's an equal or greater
> chance that the money will still be there 3 years
> from now. Plus, college players tend to start out
> higher and move up faster through the system.

Go away STUPID!

Jun 7, 2013, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Of course you'd advise somebody to "take the money"... ]

Do the right thing for the kid or for you? Wow you are incredibly selfish.

null

Re: Nae, just dumb***

Jun 7, 2013, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Re: You must be illiterate... ]

Re: You must be illiterate...

Jun 7, 2013, 12:40 AM [ in reply to You must be illiterate... ]

Really how do you know that he can go pro in 3 years, do you have a crystal ball or something? Let's say he turns out to be a bust or suffers a career ending injury. When you get an opportunity this big you would be an idiot to pass it up.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

you played this game with Jeff Francoeur yrs ago...we've

Jun 7, 2013, 7:54 AM [ in reply to You must be illiterate... ]

heard it Robert...

Re: College baseball will not be there down the road...

Jun 6, 2013, 11:34 PM [ in reply to College baseball will not be there down the road... ]

All it takes is one play to end his career. He can throw home from right field and tear up his elbow, he could take a pitch to the head, he can tear an ACL rounding first... knock on wood, hopefully none of that happens but it can. it's not as likely as football but I don't care how much I love Clemson if it means taking $3 million and playing pro ball then I'd do it too. And anyone saying they wouldn't either comes from a family with more than $3 million to spare or they're lying.

And I could get hit crossing the street...

Jun 6, 2013, 11:40 PM

if you live your life in fear of what might happen, then you'll never do anything. How many people end their careers with a torn ACL in college? Jamie Moyer had "Tommy John" surgery at 45 and still played Major League baseball. I guess "commitment" really doesn't mean anything anymore, does it? How would Dabo feel about a situation like this?

Re: And I could get hit crossing the street...

Jun 7, 2013, 12:02 AM

I don't think you understand how much money is being thrown his way. He's 18 years old. I know for a fact that if the NFL had the same rules where kids can go pro out of high school or wait until their junior year, there would be a ton of kids going pro right away. Clowney, Watkins, Bridgewater, etc. could all go pro and get a quick pay day.

He wants to play baseball and to make $3 million to do that it probably wasn't a tough decision for him. Call me what you want but if Meadows is anything like me, coming from a middle class family you will take the opportunity to support yourself and your family while playing the game you love. Even if it means going back on a commitment. He obviously loved Clemson (he committed afterall) but it comes down to what's best for Austin Meadows and his family, not what us fans are going to think. I wish him the best.

You really need some Preparation H....

Jun 7, 2013, 7:54 AM [ in reply to College baseball will not be there down the road... ]

for that major case of "red a$$".

Wow...just wow !!!!

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Every year a first round draft pick...

Jun 6, 2013, 10:08 PM

Exactly, it NEVER happens at Clemson!

Pick was to compensate for

Jun 6, 2013, 10:53 PM

Not signing Mark Appel last year. If he doesn't sign Pirates lose the pick instead of picking up a pick in the 1st round next year. It is safe to say Pirates know what is gonna take to sign him and plan to do so.

Congrats to him. He has set up great options for his future

Jun 6, 2013, 11:08 PM

He'll have the world at his feet at 18 years old

Then don't complain about the results on the field...

Jun 6, 2013, 11:11 PM

next year if they don't go to suit you. He won't have anything at his feet and you should know that.

Re: Then don't complain about the results on the field...

Jun 6, 2013, 11:40 PM

He will be 18 years old, playing professional baseball, and have a cool $3+ million sitting in his bank account. He certainly does have something going for him. I'm 20 years old, I still live with my parents when I'm not in school, and I have $12 in my bank account and I'm happier than a pig in ####.

You're barking up the wrong tree here

Jun 7, 2013, 7:12 AM [ in reply to Then don't complain about the results on the field... ]

I know how the game is played with baseball recruiting. Usually you roll the dice that the prospect will not have a breakout Sr season but this kid has been a 1st round projection since the summer after his So season. If Jack and LeCroy don't have a backup plan for this one, its on them. This isn't some 15th rounder that unexpectedly signed for 50k.

exactly...not a surprise when a kid with first round talent

Jun 7, 2013, 7:58 AM

is drafted and takes the money.

baseball and football are different

Jun 7, 2013, 1:26 AM

The wear and tear on a 18 year old in the NFL is much greater than that of one in the mlb. In football they would have 25-30 year old grown @$$ men in their prime beating them up every play. In baseball, its a more mental game (yes its a long grueling season) but they are not being physically beaten by much bigger stronger players. Same with the NBA. That's why baseball and basketball rules differ from football. Its just the way the games are played.

Re: Recruit Update: Pirates select Clemson baseball signee No. 9 overall

Jun 7, 2013, 8:30 AM

Wow just wow Baseballfan you are one selfish individual.

null

Replies: 94
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic