Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: All In for Ten: Dabo turns into a Southern Baptist preacher last fall
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

TNET: All In for Ten: Dabo turns into a Southern Baptist preacher last fall

Oct 11, 2018, 4:10 PM

All In for Ten: Dabo turns into a Southern Baptist preacher last fall

Some people say that Dabo Swinney would be just as comfortable in the pulpit of a Southern Baptist Church on Sunday as he is on the sidelines of a college football game on Saturday, and that was never more evident than last fall. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of my favorite Dabo speeches ever...

Oct 11, 2018, 4:31 PM

Delivering a message that is simple in theme but enormously difficult to always flesh out... that love is truly the answer to the failings of the world . It’s the message those kids need to hear and the message we adults need to hear. I’m very proud of the way Dabo handled that question as well as other potential landmine questions laid at his feet

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One of my favorite Dabo speeches ever...

Oct 11, 2018, 5:14 PM

This is exactly the kind of influence Moms want their kids to have as they transition from teen to adult, and why we will continue to bring in the right sort of young men to play for Clemson!

Really?

Oct 11, 2018, 5:14 PM

I love Dabo, but as a Southern Baptist preacher myself, that would be a terrible sermon. Wise words from a wise man, but if it's not about Jesus and how much we need Him, it doesn't belong in the pulpit.

Re: Really?

Oct 11, 2018, 5:16 PM

He definitely had a great message, but I agree, it didn't sound particularly Southern Baptist.

Oct 11, 2018, 6:17 PM

Thank God....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2018, 2:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Really? ]

For that to be true, he would be asking for your coin after every verse, that is the Southern Baptist way, money money monnnneyyyyy!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2018, 6:24 PM [ in reply to Really? ]

sounds pretty preacher to me

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2018, 6:24 PM [ in reply to Really? ]

cbcolli said:

I love Dabo, but as a Southern Baptist preacher myself, that would be a terrible sermon. Wise words from a wise man, but if it's not about Jesus and how much we need Him, it doesn't belong in the pulpit.

Remember my friend that most people think that a sermon should tell us how WE should act. An actual sermon tells us what Jesus did for us sinners who can’t act as Jesus commands.
Already know I’ll be thumbs downed but that’s ok.
Keep preaching Christ!

Oct 11, 2018, 6:33 PM [ in reply to Really? ]

Oh I definitely agree with that point. No matter the “moral value” of the point, if it doesn’t flow from or to the cross... it’s not pulpit material of course. To me it’s impossible to separate the source of that love he’s referencing from the love itself. I didn’t acknowledge that In my post but I agree w you

Oct 11, 2018, 7:42 PM

I’m thinking the comparison may have had more to do with Dabo’s passionate, heartfelt delivery than whether he was trying to make a religious statement. If you listen to Dabo much at all, his faith is very evident. This was not the subject he was addressing in response to that question. Now his answer to the reporter that asked him about his faith earlier this season may qualify him for the pulpit.....

Oct 11, 2018, 8:14 PM [ in reply to Really? ]

Well I’m a Southern Baptist and Dabo is welcome in my church my home anytime!!
Dabo is having more of an effect on his world than most preachers!! I can’t believe your mind even went there.
Yes I know Jesus! Yes he is my Savior! He is my Salvation! Yes I believe in personal soul winning and I think Dabo is more effective at than most preachers!!!

Oct 11, 2018, 8:14 PM [ in reply to Really? ]

Well I’m a Southern Baptist and Dabo is welcome in my church my home anytime!!
Dabo is having more of an effect on his world than most preachers!! I can’t believe your mind even went there.
Yes I know Jesus! Yes he is my Savior! He is my Salvation! Yes I believe in personal soul winning and I think Dabo is more effective at than most preachers!!!

Oct 11, 2018, 8:37 PM

Ghandi once said he would have become a Christian if he had ever truly met one. To bad he never met William Christopher Sweeney.

Message was edited by: bleedsorange81

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would be a terrible sermon. Really?

Oct 11, 2018, 9:36 PM [ in reply to Really? ]

...did you actually expect Dabo to go into detail about Christ's salvation during a press conference? I think he handled the question in a great way. What better thing to do than grow young men within your sphere of influence and send them into the world prepared to share those values? I think that's what our Christ did with the 12. If that doesn't belong in the pulpit, what does?

If you follow Dabo at all, you would know that he has no qualms sharing his very powerful personal testimony. In appropriate settings. Indeed, in many pulpits around the Upstate. Not a college football press conference. Your criticism is misplaced.

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: That would be a terrible sermon. Really?

Oct 11, 2018, 10:13 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head. No matter the depth of dabo's own personal convictions, I admire that he has a unique way about preaching those within the limited confines of what a coach at a public institution can get away with... He speaks the truth lovingly and in a way that gets the message across without getting himself in hot water. No, dabo isn't preaching a sermon but that context wasn't the place for one. What he did, and in my opinion does well frequently, is preach without claiming the pulpit. One can make the message abundantly clear tactfully and do so while allowing oneself to remain in the position he/she has without throwing the baby out w the bath water if that makes any sense. It may have been francis of assisi who said, paraphrased, "preach christ to all the world. When necessary, use words." Some of that seems to be present in Dabo

A true preacher would have reminded you to tithe too***

Oct 11, 2018, 11:30 PM [ in reply to Really? ]

Re: A true preacher would have reminded you to tithe too***

Oct 12, 2018, 2:34 AM

That is what a true blooded Southern Baptist does, he will ask for your money 10 times in an hour of preaching!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen***

Oct 12, 2018, 1:25 PM

Re: A true preacher would have reminded you to tithe too***

Oct 15, 2018, 3:58 PM [ in reply to Re: A true preacher would have reminded you to tithe too*** ]

That is what a true blooded Southern Baptist does, he will ask for your money 10 times in an hour of preaching!!!

What a truly ignorant uniformed prejudice statement to make!
If a pastor or preacher preaches a sermon about tithing it is because it is a Biblical principle.
I am assuming from your comment that you do not have much experience with the concept or the joy of being able to give to others or anything. I feel certain that others if not all denominations have their charitable giving organizations but I know for a fact Soutern Baptist do and they give to storm victims and to the poor and needy and help out after disasters in every part of the world! Your generalization of pastors is childish and misinformed!!

Not if he understands the New Testament

Oct 12, 2018, 6:51 AM [ in reply to A true preacher would have reminded you to tithe too*** ]

I need to find of those New Testament only churches

Oct 12, 2018, 12:30 PM

In my experience, any preacher >50 years of age will mention tithing as a main theme at least 1x/month.

Younger congregations, younger pastors and smaller churches not as prevalent. Though I am shocked how few people give when the plate is passed around. Perhaps they pay monthly/yearly/online?

Re: I need to find of those New Testament only churches

Oct 12, 2018, 1:04 PM

Absolutely, the plate will never pass by me without me throwing a $20 dollar bill in it plus, if I made it in time for Sunday school, I'll give $10. in there. It cost to keep the lights on and the payments kept up. My Preacher wanted to add an addition to our church for just the kids Bible study. So what he did, he had a big dinner that he ask us to buy part of a brick for $500., and a whole brick for a $1000... When the collections were totaled, we had enough money for the addition, and get this, we also had enough to pay off the rest of our mortgage owed on our Church that was a dollar or two over $30 K. It was an awesome to be with our fellow Christians!!!

Re: TNET: All In for Ten: Dabo turns into a Southern Baptist preacher last fall

Oct 11, 2018, 7:20 PM

:) :) :) :) :)

Oct 11, 2018, 7:40 PM

EducationOnYourOwnTime® ain't gonna like this at all.

No sir.
No way.
No how.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Do I just get tagged anytime someone says the word Baptist?***

Oct 12, 2018, 1:25 PM

I'd say there are a couple things going on here

Oct 12, 2018, 3:36 PM

EducationOnYourOwnTime®:

1. You asked us to use the word Baptists and we complied, much to your chagrin nobody seemed to care
2. You went on a recent intolerant rant against religion and basically called those who pray delusional

So a bigot is defined as someone who is intolerant of those holding different opinions. Therefore, you are a bigot, and thus classof1994® declared you wouldn't like the baptist story. Hopefully that helps, was that helpful?

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I'd say there are a couple things going on here

Oct 15, 2018, 3:52 PM

1. That was a farce to make a point, but I guess it is a running joke now, so that's cool with me. I'll come chime in when y'all want.

2. Well yeah, prayer is a delusion. Decisions made based on religion cause a lot of problems in the world. Not going to back down from that. I can love my fellow Tigers despite their delusions.

Hate the delusion, love the Tiger, just as you can love fellow 'sinner' Tigers despite hating their sin.

Lord, please let me live this day as half the man that Dabo

Oct 11, 2018, 7:53 PM

Swinney is, and I'll be just fine.

Thank you, Amen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Too open-minded to be a preacher...at least a

Oct 11, 2018, 9:07 PM

Southern Baptist Preacher, who would never quote a Hindu like Gandhi!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Too open-minded to be a preacher...at least a

Oct 12, 2018, 2:51 PM

Be careful with presumptive statements about who Baptist preachers mention when preaching. Why? You, nor I can read the mind of man or God! So the statement of a Baptist preacher would NEVER mention.... Has no validity, it is simply opinion based.Remember that God uses whom he chooses and he also equips! Ghandi is just as important in God’s eyes as we are and whether he preaches about Buddha, Alah or any other being he is still relevant. Even to be mentioned by a Baptist preacher on Sunday morning! Mentioning another deity while preaching is not forbidden by God. What is forbidden by God is placing other deities, things and people before him. This is a teaching moment for all of us. Take this post to heart Sir!
Love you brother.

Oct 12, 2018, 2:33 AM

Stephen Paddock was the perp in Vegas?? ?? ??

Talk about someone who GETS IT....

Oct 12, 2018, 9:26 AM

Wow.....this needs to be screamed from the mountaintop.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2018, 9:55 AM

Wow, tiger nation is blessed to have this man leading these young men. If every football, basketball ,baseball, and sport coaches across this nation followed his example, what a wonderful change we would see. Go Tigers!!!!

Not many Southern Baptist Preachs quote Gandhi.***

Oct 12, 2018, 3:13 PM

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic