Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Real talk about the UGA defense...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 65
| visibility 1

Real talk about the UGA defense...

Aug 25, 2014, 11:50 AM

Yes, I know Pruitt is there now.

With that said, is there any reason to expect them to be significantly better than last year?

I keep seeing UGA fans talking about all the returning starters they have, but is that actually true? I thought they were about to start a former RB at safety.

I personally don't buy an argument that claims they are suddenly elite on that side of the ball.

Thoughts?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Re: Real talk about the UGA defense...

Aug 25, 2014, 11:52 AM

it seems all the elite players are being beat out by walk-ons and bench players. But to be fair, it is hot outside.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right, and I saw mention of them possibly

Aug 25, 2014, 11:53 AM

going with JUCO transfers, too.

Not sure where all this supposed experience is coming from.

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Re: Right, and I saw mention of them possibly

Aug 25, 2014, 11:59 AM

I am hearing all the experience is up front. They should go ahead and line up in the vaunted 4-5-2.

Their Lbs are VERY good. DL and secondary not so much***

Aug 25, 2014, 11:53 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right, I will submit that they have one of the best

Aug 25, 2014, 11:54 AM

LB units in the country.

That secondary is looking questionable as ever though.

Re: Right, I will submit that they have one of the best

Aug 25, 2014, 2:30 PM

I'd look for them to be pretty solid along the DL in addition to the LBs. Secondary will be a weak link, but we've got to win the battle up front to get to the secondary. Our OL and play calling will be critical.

BRO, do you even SEC?***

Aug 25, 2014, 11:54 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: well ESecPN says they're stacked & reloaded...

Aug 25, 2014, 11:58 AM

both them & vegas doesn't think we have a chance ;)

I'm not ready to throw in the towel, not just yet.***

Aug 25, 2014, 12:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not ready to throw in the towel, not just yet.***

Aug 25, 2014, 2:32 PM

Vegas goes with the odds. UGa has a QB who's been in a few games. Clemson has a career back up who's never taken a meaningful snap. That's a big factor. UGa's at home. That's 3-5 points right there.

Re: BRO, do you even SEC?***

Aug 25, 2014, 7:21 PM [ in reply to BRO, do you even SEC?*** ]

lmao, awesome

you have won tigernet for the day

Aug 25, 2014, 11:57 AM

I watched a replay of ugay vs auburn and they have some defensive backs who are really good when the balls in the air.

;)

^^^^^This^^^^^

Aug 25, 2014, 12:45 PM

Indisputable...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How many are back this season/not suspended for 1st game?***

Aug 25, 2014, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Real talk about the UGA defense... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2014, 11:58 AM

One of my co workers is a UGA grad and has a lot of ties to the program and he has been saying the past few weeks that everything that he is hearing is that he hopes they score ALOT of points because he says everyone he has talked to has said the def looks very bad so far... im sure it comes from just learning new schemes and stuff but he says most of the UGA fans he has talked to that have seen the team is really worried about the Def even being as good as it was last year (which was bad)

Aug 25, 2014, 12:05 PM

they don't recruit smart players like FSU does, it could be a while before they pick up Pruitt's system.

Aug 25, 2014, 6:22 PM

> they don't recruit smart players like FSU does, it
> could be a while before they pick up Pruitt's system.

Nice. I was unaware of an intelligence ranking of recruits, please share the link. Thx in advance.

Aug 25, 2014, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Real talk about the UGA defense... ]

I wouldn't buy any of that, I have been to 4 practices and the DEF is being played down from the outside because no games have been played. From from the inside, this team is going to line up and kick some a$$.

Pruitt is a boss, Grantham can't hold this guys jock.

Aug 25, 2014, 3:00 PM

Oh yeah the defense has been being played down. I saw in the spring game stats that all 4 of your qb's went a combined 70% against that star studded secondary.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2014, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Real talk about the UGA defense... ]

Oh yeah the defense has been being played down. I saw in the spring game stats that all 4 of your qb's went a combined 70% against that star studded secondary.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2014, 3:10 PM

Actually, no one went for 70% passing.

Hutson went as high as 68%, which means he is just right for him. He is highly accurate.

You can find your facts here.
http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/041214aab.html

Aug 25, 2014, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Real talk about the UGA defense... ]

That statement also completely lets the fact slide that the defense could not hit the qb. Several plays the QBs would have been picking their teeth up off the floor if it wasnt for that common knowledge. It does have an effect on the percentage of completions

the qb wasn't ruled down with a touch ?***

Aug 25, 2014, 4:45 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think making a drastic, rapid improvement is unlikely.

Aug 25, 2014, 12:04 PM

Returning starters are not necessarily a good thing. Who wants a bunch of untalented returning starters? They were BAD last year. Ask Vandy.

^^ Might be the most rational statement I have seen on here.***

Aug 25, 2014, 2:37 PM

Aug 25, 2014, 12:04 PM

I think, maybe. UGA fan here. Granthem was a horrible college coach. Muschamp, Spurrier and Saban all agree. as per their statements on the SEC preview show. They all said you can only be successful running a Pruitt style defense.

As for RB at Safety, JJ was recruited as a DB, moved to RB because of depth issues, he is in his intended position now.

Last years D never subbed and were playing heavy because of Granthem. 2 things that don't go together well. Our D has also said they were confused last year because of complexity of scheme. Pruitt says" we will run 3 defensive sets and know them inside and out.

Dumbing down the scheme is a good start....

Aug 25, 2014, 12:13 PM

and will likely start paying real dividends next year and the year after. Experiencing significant improvement this year is unlikely IMO. UGa simply DOES NOT have the talent on that side of the ball that FSU had/has. I know you think you do, but you don't. That is in no way intended as a slight. It's just a fact.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

But but but

Aug 25, 2014, 12:21 PM

they're in the SEC! Their talent is NFL ready the day they sign the letter of intent

You do not know that, they are all the same stars coming in***

Aug 25, 2014, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Dumbing down the scheme is a good start.... ]

If you seriously think....

Aug 25, 2014, 2:48 PM

that UGa has the same talent level on defense as FSU, you may be as deluded if not moreso than the average Capon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you seriously think....

Aug 25, 2014, 3:11 PM

Of course talent wise, doesnt mean they were coached up.

^^^ expects the new DC to make hot dogs out of dog pewp ^^^***

Aug 25, 2014, 3:15 PM

Aug 25, 2014, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Real talk about the UGA defense... ]

I saw JJ play in high school for 4 years. He is a great athlete but as far as being a great DB I'm not so convinced that is his natural position. Camden County never really faced a team that could throw the ball. Most of their opponents run the Wing T. teams that they faced like Miami Central a couple of years ago lit up Their Defense for a lot of points passing. Camden won only because of their running game with JJ in the backfield. So it is still up in the air if he is truely a better DB than RB.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2014, 12:37 PM

> I saw JJ play in high school for 4 years. He is a
> great athlete but as far as being a great DB I'm not
> so convinced that is his natural position. Camden
> County never really faced a team that could throw the
> ball. Most of their opponents run the Wing T. teams
> that they faced like Miami Central a couple of years
> ago lit up Their Defense for a lot of points passing.
> Camden won only because of their running game with JJ
> in the backfield. So it is still up in the air if he
> is truely a better DB than RB.

JJ Green has been playing at nickleback (not CB or safety).... last we've heard he was running with the 2s behind Domnick Sanders. We'll see where he ends up...no clue myself.

Aug 25, 2014, 12:39 PM

I think JJ Green is physical enough to jam a slot WR, help defend the spread/read option, and or blitz the QB.

I would agree that I dont think he is a pure cover corner and def not a safety.

Aug 25, 2014, 12:18 PM

The Defensive line has shed some weight since pruitt arrived, 10-20 lbs each, while maintaining strength. This has helped them sustain and practice much harder. I am hearing that the DL should be very good, much better than in the previous few years. The linebackers .. no explanation needed. The secondary.. you are correct, it is very young at a couple positions. We are not starting a converted running back. At the moment I believe he is 2nd or 3rd string. Damian Swann is starting at one corner position as a senior and should be very good this year. Shattle Fenteng is going to be another CB starter, and he was the #1 JUCO CB in the nation last year. The other spots are going to be manned by Coorey Moore and Aaron Davis(both safety positions). Coorey Moore is a talented athlete and has had one of the best offseasons thus far. Aaron Davis is a walk on, but not a traditional walk on. He has surpassed many highlty touted recruits to attain a position at CB, then he was moved to safety to learn that position as well which is where he will be playing. Side note on Aaron, he was injured the last season and a half of his high school career, but many people believe he would have been one of the top recruits available for his class at DB if injury was not a concern. In spite of this he decided to walk on at Georgia because he believed he could work back into favor and earn a starting position, and he did just that. Lastly, when we switch to using the Nickleback/Star position in certain looks, Dominick Sanders will be the starter in my opinion. Sanders has some serious ball skills, and a natural play making ability. Just some info to digest. Can Georgia's D be better? Yes. Will they? Most likely yes as a result of coaching that has instilled more discipline and a focussing on speed, strength, and conditioning. Grantham failed to address that issue and allowed Georgia's Defense to play without any sense of Discipline whatsoever.

Notes: Overall there is several newcomers and unproven names, but the talent level is not lacking. I think it is good for your team that you will see them game one, because there will be growing pains. However, to think they wont be better than last year is crazy. Last year game one, DB's threw their hands in the air thinking ###.. where am i supposed to be... and in the bowl game to finish the season, they were doing the exact same thing. (coaching seem to be lacking?)..

Also, I do not think the new coaching hire is a magic wand that will fix all of our problems. However, I do expect to see results early on.

Aug 25, 2014, 12:29 PM

In 2013, we only returned 2-3 starters on defense and were very young.

This year, we return a legit 2 deep in the entire front 7. Our DL should actually be very solid IMO.... in better shape and more depth than we've had in the last few years.

Secondary is the biggest question mark. We return 3 guys that started at least 7 games last year (Moore, Mauger, and Swann) and a couple other guys with decent playing time Bowman, Dawson...and then have a handful of young guys after that competing for PT. Not sure what to expect but Pruitt has been crossing training a lot in the secondary so at a minimum I expect a definite improvement over their mostly horrendous play last year.

I doubt they will reach their optimal potential in game 1, but I think we have a lot of solid talent in the secondary to work with.

I firmly believe we will be a much better defense than you faced in week 1 last year. Just how much better..?... time will tell.

Aug 25, 2014, 12:32 PM

what happens when we throw the ball over the heads of your front 7 and play keep-away with your secondary?, that is what I would do.

Aug 25, 2014, 12:36 PM

> what happens when we throw the ball over the heads of
> your front 7 and play keep-away with your secondary?,
> that is what I would do.

That is why we play the game my man...

Aug 25, 2014, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Real talk about the UGA defense... ]

The answer is the same one you would give to me if I posed the same question to you. Because we are both in the same situation.

We are not in the same situation dawg.

Aug 25, 2014, 1:42 PM

Both safeties we return are starters from last year, so would have been 5* physical shut down corner M Alexander, had he not gotten injured before the season, complete stud and our other corner is a rangey RS freshman.

Our DC is in year three, with our secondary coach in year two.

Yeah, it's really not the same situation

Aug 25, 2014, 1:54 PM

Blanks was a starter at one safety spot at the beginning of last year, but he was going to be moved to his more natural nickel position this year anyway. Meanwhile, I guess somewhat similar to Moore, Kearse started a bunch of games at safety. Smith started every game at safety last year, Jenkins and Peters (Peters is out) started a bunch of games last year, and Alexander played his way into a starting role.

I would say the main difference is that UGa seems to be trying to find stop- gap type players to fill in for one of the CB spots and at least one of the S spots, while I think Clemson people feel like the guys we're playing are guys who are long- term starters.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We are not in the same situation dawg.

Aug 25, 2014, 2:14 PM [ in reply to We are not in the same situation dawg. ]

> Both safeties we return are starters from last year,
> so would have been 5* physical shut down corner M
> Alexander, had he not gotten injured before the
> season, complete stud and our other corner is a
> rangey RS freshman.
>
> Our DC is in year three, with our secondary coach in
> year two.

UGA returns 2 safeties that started 7 games last year... if one doesnt start, it will be b/c there is someone with better talent competing for that spot.

This will be Swann's 3rd season starting at CB and Fenteng is doing exactly what we would expect (and hope) from the Top JUCO CB, contributing immediately.

I honestly don't think our secondaries are in much different shape no matter how you want to spin it.

Fair assessment

Aug 25, 2014, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Real talk about the UGA defense... ]

Georgia fans will probably look at that and think y'all will get better, while Clemson fans and others will be more skeptical.

Good point about Pruitt trying to improve speed, though. I was kind of amazed how slow your front 7 looked last year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just spot the ball...

Aug 25, 2014, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Real talk about the UGA defense... ]

I'm tired of these Mutts already.

I don't care if they have the 85 Bears defense we are going to roll their snotty little SEC arses.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just spot the ball...

Aug 25, 2014, 7:17 PM

All I'm hearing is your butthurt!!

I don't really get it, either

Aug 25, 2014, 12:25 PM

They return all of their LBs from last year. While they were pretty good in terms of getting tackles, I thought they looked pretty slow against Clemson.

Their DL gets almost no pass rush, although they usually leave the pass- rushing to their LBs.

Their secondary will actually be worse than it was last year, in my opinion. UGa fans like to think they're "returning three starters," but what they really mean is that they're returning some guys who had to play last year because of suspensions and injuries.

Pruitt very well could improve them, but let's remember that what he did at FSU followed the great success that Stoops had before him. FSU actually allowed more yards per game last year than they did the year before, although they did allow a few less points per game.

Meanwhile, we shouldn't pretend like UGa was the absolutely worst last year, either. UGa fans like to make Grantham the scape goat for some of their failures last year, but how do you blame a coordinator for the ball bouncing off a guy's hands and hitting a receiver in stride for a TD to (just about) end the game? I'm also not sure how you can blame Grantham for an offense that bogged down in games against Vandy and Nebraska (mostly because of injuries).

Re: I don't really get it, either

Aug 25, 2014, 12:28 PM

Any georgia player who says we are returning 3 starters in the backfield is telling you a lie. Read my post above for explanation to that.

Aug 25, 2014, 12:32 PM

> Any georgia player who says we are returning 3
> starters in the backfield is telling you a lie. Read
> my post above for explanation to that.

"A lie" is a little harsh dont you think? We dont have a clue who is legitimately starting vs Clemson just yet...just who has been reported as "working with the ones" which seems to change from week to week.

Bottom line is, Moore, Mauger, and Swann started 7+ games last year...those 3 return. Will they all start this year? at least 2 will...

Aug 25, 2014, 12:35 PM

Well, a lie could be harsh:p.. It isn't going to be 3 starters though.. We know for sure that Aaron Davis is starting as he has not left the #1s at all in the off season, and he has also been trusted to learn more than one DB position. I agree with you. We will definitely return and start two of them.

I don't get the Grantham hate, either

Aug 25, 2014, 1:39 PM [ in reply to I don't really get it, either ]

He had some decent defenses. I just think there were some really bad misses on the recruiting trail. His scheme may have been more complex than optimal for their current personnel, but surely there are some kids with the right mix of talent and smarts out there to recruit?

Re: I don't get the Grantham hate, either

Aug 25, 2014, 1:44 PM

What? We had 7 players drafted off a horrible Defensive squad in 2012. That tells me recruiting is there and coaching is not. Just my opinion.

That defense actually wasn't that bad

Aug 25, 2014, 2:11 PM

You finished 32nd overall, which I agree isn't great for a defense with that much talent on it. However, you only gave up like 18 points/ game which was top 20 in the country, and you pass defense was 15 in the country. Where you weren't very good was run defense.

The year before, you had like a top 5 defense, so maybe 2012's defense just looks that much worse in comparison.

Re: That defense actually wasn't that bad

Aug 25, 2014, 6:20 PM

> You finished 32nd overall, which I agree isn't great
> for a defense with that much talent on it. However,
> you only gave up like 18 points/ game which was top
> 20 in the country, and you pass defense was 15 in the
> country. Where you weren't very good was run defense.
>
>
> The year before, you had like a top 5 defense, so
> maybe 2012's defense just looks that much worse in
> comparison.

Dawgs were pretty good vs. the run last year, check the stats. Real good actually.

We'll have to wait and see whether those 7 amount to anythin

Aug 26, 2014, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't get the Grantham hate, either ]

That will tell the tale more so than who got drafted.

And it wasn't a horrible squad, it just didn't meet expectations. There were many teams who did even worse.

Everything I have read on there secondary states

Aug 25, 2014, 12:54 PM

No returning starter and Pruitt is still mixing things up, looking for the best fit, in the eleventh hour.

With Peake back, I more than like our chances against whatever group they decide on.

Re: Everything I have read on their secondary states***

Aug 25, 2014, 12:55 PM

Swann is definitely a returning starter***

Aug 25, 2014, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Everything I have read on there secondary states ]

Re: Swann is definitely a returning starter***

Aug 25, 2014, 1:33 PM

Yes. Pruitt said week one that Swann was the only one game ready.

Aug 25, 2014, 1:47 PM

> Yes, I know Pruitt is there now.

Improvement expected.

We return nearly every person from the front 7. I'm cautiously optimistic about the secondary because of Pruitt's background there.

Aug 25, 2014, 2:04 PM

Improvement expected.

We return nearly every person from the front 7. I'm cautiously optimistic about the secondary because of Pruitt's background there.

We have been running a 3-4 hybrid for years so their is no real transition in schemes and design, just application and approach from new perspectives.

The chair is against the wall.

John has a long mustache.

Spot the ball!!!***

Aug 25, 2014, 2:20 PM

Aug 25, 2014, 6:18 PM

>
> With that said, is there any reason to expect them to
> be significantly better than last year?
>
> I keep seeing UGA fans talking about all the
> returning starters they have, but is that actually
> true? I thought they were about to start a former RB
> at safety.
>
> I personally don't buy an argument that claims they
> are suddenly elite on that side of the ball.
>
> Thoughts?
UGA has elite talent and athletes on both sides of the ball, the product of top ten recruiting classes every year. On D, their old DC was a bust, wasted the talent he had. Grantham will not be missed. In steps a DC that actually maximizes his talent and has shown he can direct a top 5 type D. Yeah, the Dawgs will be better on D.

Aug 25, 2014, 6:26 PM

He showed that in one year. With a terribly schedule easy schedule. Their biggest regular season challenge in Clemson rolled over for them. Miami was burning on fumes (probably should have lost to Wake Forrest at home). Pruitt's defense did not look all world against Auburn especially early in that game. He had one of the most talented defenses I've ever seen last year to boot.

The man will probably improve your D but he isn't DC Jesus.

Aug 25, 2014, 7:54 PM

Nobody is saying he is. What some of the Georgia fans are trying to get all the Clemson fans is that Grantham didn't make these players get after it 100% of the time,to were Pruitt gets after them. Here is an example:during practice Grantham never got after the players when standing in line to do a drill some players were goofing off and not paying attention, to were Pruitt has put a stop to that and you better pay attention or get chewed out! And when you do the drill right he asks you what you did, then if you don't know he will explain it to you and put it in a way that you can understand why you done it that way!

Replies: 65
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic