Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recruit Update: ESPN: Watson changes story on visiting Auburn
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 88
| visibility 1

Recruit Update: ESPN: Watson changes story on visiting Auburn

May 28, 2013, 10:52 PM

ESPN: Watson changes story on visiting Auburn

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feel bad for him

May 28, 2013, 10:55 PM

Kid getting pulled in 10 directions. He made a mistake. Raise your hand if you ever made a mistake.

Re: I feel bad for him

May 28, 2013, 10:57 PM

Oh me! Me! I have made many mistakes way worse than this.

LOL...And being a young person, imagine how many more

May 29, 2013, 6:56 AM

mistakes are possible and/or probable over the next, say, 50 years! Enjoy.....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Recruit Update: ESPN: Watson changes story on visiting Auburn

May 28, 2013, 10:59 PM

To bad for Auburn that was just a wasted trip to lure him their. Its just a lot of pressure, and it will be be all for none. He's going to be wearing orange period...he's been recruiting for us already.

May 28, 2013, 11:00 PM

Stay strong Deshaun, schools will be coming at you with guns a blazing! We want you a CLEMSON TIGER!!!

Seriously...

May 28, 2013, 11:04 PM

Am I the only one who just wants to punch every ESecPN reporter in the face? I can't recall any stories or articles like this about any other team in the country that tries to stir up controversy, just ridiculous.

Don't blame ESPN. ESPN didn't go behind the staff's back and

May 28, 2013, 11:08 PM

visit Auburn. ESPN didn't lie to their high school coach and everyone else about visiting. Don't even want him to play for us now. He will be a great one, but there are others just about as good.

LOL, "don't want him to play for us"

May 28, 2013, 11:11 PM

He's cleared the air and made his peace with Dabo and Co. I find it strange that wouldn't be good enough for any fan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LOL, "don't want him to play for us"

May 29, 2013, 7:37 AM

How do you know he's made peace with Dabo and Chad. He lied directly to Chad, too, as per the article I read, and I didn't see anything in the article that said he had spoken to either Dabo or Chad since coming clean about the visit. He did say he regretted the visit, and that's good, but he will have to earn their trust again, IMO. I will be interested in hearing their responses to his revelation. I imagine a good show of remorse will go a long way in regaining their trust. I hope he learned his lesson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're about 8 hrs behind, try to keep us. The coaches will

May 30, 2013, 12:06 AM

not be making any statements about Watson since they can't talk about prospects, just signees.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nutsville***

May 28, 2013, 11:54 PM [ in reply to Don't blame ESPN. ESPN didn't go behind the staff's back and ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're not a Clemson fan. Hot 'lanta air. Go play on 285.***

May 29, 2013, 1:10 AM [ in reply to Don't blame ESPN. ESPN didn't go behind the staff's back and ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you are off your rocker***

May 29, 2013, 3:08 AM [ in reply to Don't blame ESPN. ESPN didn't go behind the staff's back and ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't blame ESPN. ESPN didn't go behind the staff's back and

May 29, 2013, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Don't blame ESPN. ESPN didn't go behind the staff's back and ]

If Deshaun want to play for us then I want him to play as well. He seems like a young man that is still developing the character he is going to need to succeed... he ain't there yet.

Some who want to jump on his case ain't there yet either...

You need to worry about your coot team and not be

May 30, 2013, 12:02 AM [ in reply to Don't blame ESPN. ESPN didn't go behind the staff's back and ]

bitter about the #1 QB in America selecting Clemson. Hurts I know but you will get over it.

Re: Seriously...

May 29, 2013, 1:17 PM [ in reply to Seriously... ]

If you think that you are the only one that would like to beat the h&ll out of everyone at esecpn and AJC. Then where have you been for so long, a coma.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea, we're the only achool with decommita and

May 29, 2013, 8:48 PM [ in reply to Seriously... ]

players committed who look around, and then have articles written about it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's cut ties with this one early rather than let him lie

May 28, 2013, 11:06 PM

to the staff for the next 6 months. He would no doubt be a franchise player, but no player is worth this type of disrespect. I said it when Nkemdiche was playing his games and people thought I was wrong and I'll say it now. This kid is playing games and Clemson deserves better.

67%

May 28, 2013, 11:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dude, or should I say Dud, has been masquerading for a while

May 29, 2013, 1:12 AM

He claims to be an alumnus but he can't claim to be a fan.

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

I always feel so inadequate when I read recruiting threads

May 28, 2013, 11:20 PM [ in reply to Let's cut ties with this one early rather than let him lie ]

on tigernet. Here I am just a simple football fan with no psychic powers surrounded by recruiting experts who can read minds. Dabo gets paid a lot of money to know more about this than you, and guess what he does. Every kid is different and sometimes they don't always do what you want. The way one kid acted last year has absolutely nothing to do with this one.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watch and see****

May 28, 2013, 11:28 PM

Tell 'em coot***

May 29, 2013, 8:22 AM

Nutsville II***

May 28, 2013, 11:55 PM [ in reply to Let's cut ties with this one early rather than let him lie ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^Virgin Mary speaks***

May 29, 2013, 7:30 AM [ in reply to Let's cut ties with this one early rather than let him lie ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell 'em coot***

May 29, 2013, 8:22 AM [ in reply to Let's cut ties with this one early rather than let him lie ]

Re: Let's cut ties with this one early rather than let him lie

May 29, 2013, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Let's cut ties with this one early rather than let him lie ]

I trust Dabo's judgement on this type of thing. I think your attitude toward the young man is despicable. The young man lied and he should not lie, I think all the coaches invloved are making that clear to him, that is part of growing up.

LOL!!! Bitter????***

May 30, 2013, 12:07 AM [ in reply to Let's cut ties with this one early rather than let him lie ]

Re: LOL, "don't want him to play for us"

May 28, 2013, 11:14 PM

Coots runnin wild on here tonight.

Re: Re: I feel bad for him

May 28, 2013, 11:15 PM

Me too sir!

All we have heard is what a great kid Deshaun is, and how he

May 28, 2013, 11:26 PM

is different, and how he is not the kind of kid that would lie; "If he did, it would be the first time".

I'm sure Deshaun Watson IS a great kid, and I believe this is out of character for him, and I believe it is the first time he has lied to his coach.

But he did.

This only reinforces two things we already know:

1. Recruiting and the pressure that goes along with it is out of control.
2. When a recruit commits, it doesn't mean they are committed. Even if they honor their commitment, their "word" often doesn't mean anything.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I always feel so inadequate when I read recruiting threads

May 28, 2013, 11:26 PM

Agree not every situation is Black and White just like in life you have to leave room for grey area.

To be fair

May 28, 2013, 11:29 PM

This is a black and white issue.

He lied.

Now, evidently he's talked to Dabo since and they've made their peace about it, and I don't think any of us simple fans should feign outrage.

But this isn't one of those situations that is murky. He did something spontaneous, then was stupid in the coverup. It happens, he got busted, and now he's got to re-earn the coaches' trust.

So be it. I'll wait until signing day to really care.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To be fair

May 29, 2013, 1:31 PM

Exactly!!! All these kids want us fans to suck up to them and follow them on twitter b/c they said I'm all in. Stop following and sucking up to them b/c they ain't All In until they are wearing Clemson's Orange. Until they have proven they are with us, then their not with us. Sign the LOI, then they are with us and All In with Clemson, PERIOD!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some of y'all are insane

May 28, 2013, 11:34 PM

Cut ties with him? You don't want him to play for us? Are you out of your mind?

I understand he went to Auburn, and lied about it. Not a good decision. However, he had the guts to admit it was a mistake. A MISTAKE. If his biggest mistake is visiting another campus, then we should consider ourselves very lucky. Keep in mind you are talking about a 17 year old kid. Quit acting so high and mighty.

The kid made a mistake. Big deal, let it go. He apologized to the coaches and admitted it, and thats plenty good enough for me. And no there are not "plenty just as good." He is the number one quarterback in the country, and he has broken just about every record he can break in the state of Georgia (pretty talented area). I don't know of many high school QBs passing for 4000+ yards and rushing for 1500 yards and racking up 60+ touchdowns in one of the hardest regions in the nation.

Amen! But that won't

May 28, 2013, 11:58 PM

appease the small minority of "purists" on here. The kid made a mistake and owned up to it. Good for him - surely he's learned a lesson on integrity.

Re: To be fair

May 28, 2013, 11:35 PM

I mean in referance to his offer being pulled just due to this.

He made a mistake. Here's how he makes up for it.

May 28, 2013, 11:39 PM

He confirms his 100% commitment to Clemson University. He tells everyone, including coaches and the media, that his recruitment is now over and that he will not entertain any additional offers. He states that he will not take any recruiting visits. His only discussion from this point forward will be about his senior season, his family, and Clemson.

Makes sense to me. If he's the great young man I believe he is, he will have no problem with this.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

^^ Agree***

May 28, 2013, 11:45 PM

Re: He made a mistake. Here's how he makes up for it.

May 29, 2013, 7:49 AM [ in reply to He made a mistake. Here's how he makes up for it. ]

I'm probably wrong but I thought he already did all of those things.

May 29, 2013, 1:36 PM [ in reply to He made a mistake. Here's how he makes up for it. ]

I Agree!!!

May 29, 2013, 1:48 PM [ in reply to He made a mistake. Here's how he makes up for it. ]

good plan, absolutely agree!! thats all and the least he should do @ this point

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why did Deshaun's COACH have to apologize for the lies?

May 28, 2013, 11:44 PM

I'm disappointed that Deshaun Watson's coach had to apologize for the lies. Coach only said what he said because Watson told him he never went to Auburn. Why couldn't Deshaun "man up" and admit it? Why did his coach have to do it for him?

He is a kid. Are you really not understanding?

May 28, 2013, 11:47 PM

I had good kids that grew up to be fine young adults but I could see one them doing something like this when they were his age.

We should lighten up.

Get real. The kid fouled up and he

May 29, 2013, 12:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Why did Deshaun's COACH have to apologize for the lies? ]

admitted it. Lay off of him. Welcome him as a future GREAT Clemson Tiger!

Re: Deshaun didn't admit anything; his coach did

May 29, 2013, 12:09 AM

Go re-read all the stories. Deshaun has not commented

Tell 'em coot***

May 29, 2013, 8:23 AM

Re: Go away coot. This don't concern coots, and he wouldn't

May 29, 2013, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Why did Deshaun's COACH have to apologize for the lies? ]

go to usuc if he didn't have any D1 offers.

Not a big deal, If anything our coaches will try to comfort

May 28, 2013, 11:51 PM

him. I doubt anyone at Clemson said "No more visits". If he wants to go somewhere they probably just want to know about it so they can keep that in mind and start recruiting him again if they feel it's needed.

Well, unless Watson is being treated differently....

May 29, 2013, 12:02 AM

Dabo told Fuller to shut down his recruitment and not take anymore visits.

"Today after practice, I called Coach Swinney and told him that I was 'All In.' He got really excited," Fuller said. "He was happy and proud. He was just telling me that commitment to Clemson was like a marriage, and that I would have to end my recruitment. He said that I can't take anymore visits and can't talk to anymore coaches. I told him that that's what I wanted to do."

From Tigernet:
http://www.tigernet.com/story//Fuller-commits-Clemson-11704

Re: I want to hear it from Deshaun not his coach

May 28, 2016, 7:45 AM

I think that's a fair request

Well then, give him

May 29, 2013, 12:01 AM

your phone number and beg him to kneel befor you.

Re: Well then, give him

May 29, 2013, 12:11 AM

Haha seriously. This is so ridiculous. He apologized to the coaches, in all honesty he owes none of us anything. He made a mistake, he atoned for it, its over (or it would be except for these saints on here demanding that he be tarred and feathered).

Re: How do you know Deshaun apologized to the coaches?

May 29, 2013, 12:26 AM

Did you talk to Dabo? Do you have his cell? Just kidding, but the info about the alleged conversation came from the same person who swore Deshaun never visited Auburn

This is how I know

May 29, 2013, 12:55 AM

According to TigerIllustrated article:

Watson reached out to his recruiter of record for Clemson, offensive coordinator Chad Morris, earlier this evening, and also talked to Dabo Swinney, and shared the news with them about his visit to Auburn.

"Both coaches realize he is a 17 year old kid... They realize it was a bad decision."

"The only way he doesn't (end up at Clemson) is if Clemson tells him they don't want him back. And I know Coach Morris and Coach Swinney won't do that. But I do think he has to earn there respect back."

LET IT GO

Re: This is how I know

May 29, 2013, 7:46 AM

I had not seen the TI article. That does make me feel better about him. I know he is a young man who is being pulled very hard in many directions. I hope he learns from this experience and is able to resist the temptation in the future. He will make a great Tiger.

Re: Again, that's from his coach not Clemson

May 29, 2013, 9:29 AM [ in reply to This is how I know ]

And this is the same coach who swore that Deshaun never visited Auburn or ever lied to him. Unless you talk to Dabo, then you don't know and neither do I.

Are you kidding

May 29, 2013, 10:10 AM

His coach did not know that he was in Auburn, I don't think that makes him a liar. TI did not interview Watson, they interviewed his coach. How is that Deshauns fault? But whatever, go ahead and keep thinking that they are all liars, you seem to be an extremely cynical person.

I think it would be fair for you to post your ph # on Tnet.

May 29, 2013, 12:16 AM [ in reply to Re: I want to hear it from Deshaun not his coach ]

Maybe someone will pass it on to Deshaun.

Again, I think that is a fair request.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reading comprehension would be a good start. Watson has

May 29, 2013, 1:24 AM [ in reply to Re: I want to hear it from Deshaun not his coach ]

spoken with the coaches. He doesn't owe YOU anything. I don't really think that's what your post is about, anyway. You're a consistent troll with an agenda.

He owes you nothing coot

May 29, 2013, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Re: I want to hear it from Deshaun not his coach ]

LOL

Sad news. I really thought Watson was better than this.***

May 29, 2013, 1:22 AM

Re: Sad news. I really thought Watson was better than this.***

May 29, 2013, 1:48 PM

I know, recruits at coot U would never do nothing like this right. Only in a coots (sewer) world are things perfect.

May 29, 2013, 6:54 AM

I really think he is committed to Clemson, however, I can see kids wanting to go visit other schools on their dime. I can only imagine the pressure on all of these high school kids being recruited by top schools. Just because I vacation in a lot of different places doesn't mean I want to spend my life there. Let em go and enjoy the process. He already knows Clemson is the best! Respond to this if you have Never told a lie or tried to cover stuff up. Sure it is Always better to tell the truth. He owes us (you and me) nothing at this time. After he signs the dotted line he owes Clemson his best effort. We all have some character flaws, so get over it

He lied to his coaches and friends.

May 29, 2013, 7:28 AM

I think the kid has his hands full now. He has to spend the summer thinking about playing this fall for a coach who he lied to.

I don't know about you guys but I'd be miserable having to face friends wearing something like this. He sure doesn't need any of us loading on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unfortunately ******

May 29, 2013, 9:30 AM

May 29, 2013, 7:51 AM

Sheesh some people are uptight. He had an opportunity to go see Auburn, where a kid from his state recently made it big as a QB. He felt bad and wanted to hide it. That's wrong, but natural. This is no more than momma finding a playboy under a mattress when she changed the linen in a teenaged boy's room.
It's not a big deal and ESecPN is bored when there aren't any real sports to talk about.

It's a little different when the kid has "committed" to

May 29, 2013, 8:38 AM

accepting 160-200k in tuition/room/board/etc. and that's for the average student. Not sure what the NCAA stipend is these days but I'm sure the average football player costs a lot more than the average student.

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

I'd rather be punched than lied to. I've lost trust.***

May 29, 2013, 7:57 AM

May 29, 2013, 8:12 AM

Well, according to Tigernet interview HC Miller said he hasn't lied to him in four years. At least we don't have to worry about any more lies until 2017.

I love this kid but this wouldn't be happening if he'd shut

May 29, 2013, 8:35 AM

down his recruiting. If he'd just tell everyone to "leave me alone", it wouldn't be this bad. He's left the door open. I understand he's young and being pulled in God knows how many directions, but he's done it to himself to a certain extent. Also, why has the top recruit at Clemson the last two years been wavering on his commitment?

Bottom Line: kid is a gamechanger and I hope he keeps his word and comes to Clemson and has a great career. However, it bothers me that his first instinct was to cover this up. Not exactly a trait I'd look for from the person that is supposed to be the leader of the team, the field General, but he's a kid and kids do dumb things sometimes. I hope its a one and done incident. I think he's going to be a great one at Clemson.

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: I love this kid but this wouldn't be happening if he'd shut

May 29, 2013, 6:14 PM

I agree. If he wants to show he is committed to Clemson, he can star recruiting for his future team. Not only will that show he is a Clemson commit but also every great player he can help get to commit makes his future that much easier and brighter !!!!

May 29, 2013, 8:52 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

This calls for at least a two game suspension!!!!!

May 29, 2013, 9:16 AM

Just kidding. I think we will be fine. He's a Tiger that made a poor choice - but he is still a TIGER!!!

"How can I cover this up?!?" Is that you Obama?***

May 29, 2013, 9:32 AM

Trust me, Deshaun, CLEMSON still wants you

May 29, 2013, 9:55 AM

Some fans get too involved emotionally with the recruits but that mess goes away after signing day. Don't let the negative nancies with their panties in a wad make you feel unwelcomed. They have nothing better to worry about than every move you make. Why somebody would rather give up a good recruit than deal with drama is beyond me.

My last post on this thread

May 29, 2013, 10:22 AM

You do realize he said he wished he could have left Auburn as soon as he got there (didn't have the transportation to leave). You are all acting like he is "wavering" on his commitment. He said he wishes that he never went, and that he is a 100% Tiger.

I've come to the realization that a lot of posts on here are coot trolls trying to make our fanbase look classless because they know they have no upside after next year. However, for those Clemson fans on here bashing him, you should be ashamed. You are (I'm assuming) a grown man hating on a 17 year old kid who says that he truly loves Clemson, and honestly you are not much of a fan at all.

Kudos to those on here who have stuck up for him. Go Tigers.

You must have replied to the wrong post here

May 29, 2013, 11:44 AM

I did nothing but bash people for criticizing and shunning Watson. I called those people losers. Unless your reading comprehension is very bad, you replied to the wrong post.

Re: You must have replied to the wrong post here

May 29, 2013, 11:53 PM

yes that was not directed towards you

Re: Trust me, Deshaun, CLEMSON still wants you

May 29, 2013, 8:48 PM [ in reply to Trust me, Deshaun, CLEMSON still wants you ]

They think that the other teams are going to roll out the red carpet and let us stroll pretty and cleanly into the National Championship Game without a spot or blemish. Hello this is the real world. Temptation gets the best of us. Thank God for his GRACE AND MERCY.

May 29, 2013, 10:24 AM

DW got pulled into this trip by an assistant coach at his high school; an adult inside his inner circle that should have been trusted to do what was right by DW that convince him to take a trip that DW himself said that he wouldn't take. he is a 17 year old listening to an adult mentor, and any coach on the high school team staff is a mentor.

the real question is how will the high school head coach keep this assistant on his staff when this staff member clearly undermined his influence and authority??

too often you knuckleheads want to blame an immature teenager when a lot of times adults are the culprits behind these kind of situations. adults gave Nkemdichee leeway to act the way that he did, i.e. his mother. in this case, an assistant coach influenced and prodded DW into taking the trip. children (teens included) only behave the way they are taught or allowed to behave...

DW is and always will be a CLEMSON Tiger!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2013, 2:00 PM

I think that Watson understands and see these coots on here as well as all of us Tigers on here see them as soon as they pop up and show their UGLY heads.

Lets please refrain

May 29, 2013, 5:35 PM

From bashing our recruits on here. Despite what you may think, they do come to this site and read the content on here. I would hate to lose such an awesome recruit because we were saying negative things about him. Sorry just my 2 cents

Re: Lets please refrain

May 29, 2013, 8:38 PM

This kid has the best football sparrow I ever seem. His pass looks like it is on a robe. Its so crisp that some of those high school receivers can't handle some of his passes at close range.

Message was edited by: oldschtiger70®

Re: Re: Recruit Update: ESPN: Watson changes story on visiting Auburn

May 29, 2013, 8:59 PM

I would hate to think of all the mistakes I have made in life . Just 17 alone is enough for two people! So who am I to judge!! He made a mistake at 17 and confessed to it that is the sign of a great man in the making!!!!! Now the thing about mistakes is do it twice and it becomes something else all together! Go tigers

Someone should light up that..

May 29, 2013, 9:26 PM

Assistants ### for dropping him in Auburn with no transportation. Who's paying the assistant for setting this up?

Nothing but support should be given to Watson and our Coaching staff. Don't be blasting him for allowing a mentor to guide him in that direction. Blast the sucker that took him to Auburn.

May 29, 2013, 9:54 PM

You air are an F-ing imbecile!

May 29, 2013, 9:56 PM

You sir are an F-ing imbecile!!!

Replies: 88
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive