Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Chad Morris tweets about Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

FB Update: Chad Morris tweets about Clemson

Jan 26, 2014, 6:02 PM

Chad Morris tweets about Clemson

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chad Morris, filling in for Tim Bourret.***

Jan 26, 2014, 6:11 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Chad Morris tweets about Clemson

Jan 26, 2014, 6:45 PM

Morris's offense has been astoundingly productive at Clemson. What's maybe more intriguing to me is that when you add it up, Clemson's had some first-round talents at WR in Nuke Hopkins and Sammy Watkins...and a lot of years, and a lot of places, some holes in other places that Morris's scheme has sort of covered up everywhere else.

Tajh Boyd produced huge numbers at Clemson, and he does a bunch of things very well...but for that, NFL scouts have certainly been pointing out some of the more glaring holes in his game. He wasn't overly accurate, he tends to lock on to his primary and force balls when rattled without going through a progression, and he tends to sense pressure when there is none instead of stepping up into the pocket. He'll go anywhere from the 3rd round to the 6th round...and honestly, that's probably about right. He is not ready to just step into the NFL and start right now. Nonetheless...Boyd pretty much scored TD's for fun at Clemson and broke scoreboards and records at will, under Morris, even with his limitations.

Clemson's also had some killer tight ends over the past few seasons like Dwayne Allen and Brandon Ford, and while Seckinger and Leggett showed some potential, they also looked like the sophomore and freshman they were, this past year.

The biggest limitation Clemson's offense probably had this past year was at RB. Hod Rod was a good RB, mind, and might sneak into the 7th round or make somebody's NFL roster as an undrafted free agent, but when you've had (a healthy) James Davis, CJ Spiller, and Andre Ellington as your previous three starting RB's, or when you compare Hot Rod to, say, any of the starters at FSU, or UGA's Todd Gurley, or Ohio State's Carlos Hyde...well, McDowell also looked like what he was, which was a solid #2 or bench guy by the standards of a Top-10 program. Even so...he still got his 1,000 yards.

As far as OL goes, the NFL really hasn't given Morris's linemen a sniff. Brandon Thomas will go late somewhere in this draft. Other than that, you have to look back to Chris Hairston back in 2011, I believe, to see a Clemson OL who was drafted into the NFL. Morris has certainly not had anything resembling a dominant offensive line...again, unlike most Top-10 programs.

All of which is to say, Clemson's had some killer WR's...and some okay-to-decent skill around those WR's, but Morris's offense has nonetheless produced some mind-boggling numbers largely with talent that the NFL has not been overly impressed with, especially this past season. The 2012 offense was actually comparatively loaded compared to this last season's roster, but the production did not drop off much.

Be very fascinating to see what Morris can do with basically what amounts to a complete turnover of the skill-position starters at Clemson, especially with road games at UGA and FSU in two of the first three games. That said...I think when the jury finally comes back, it's going to be pretty evident that it was Morris's scheme, and not overwhelming talent, that's been driving the offense under Morris. The guy can coach.

Quozzel

Jan 26, 2014, 7:30 PM

Great to have you back, I have missed your insight into the football program for the last couple of years. I remember what happened and I cannot blame you a bit for your hiatus. Thanks

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2014, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Chad Morris tweets about Clemson ]

True dat!

Some how, some way...

Jan 26, 2014, 7:43 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Chad Morris tweets about Clemson ]

we gotta recruit better on the O-line-IMHO

Re: Re: FB Update: Chad Morris tweets about Clemson

Jan 27, 2014, 7:24 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Chad Morris tweets about Clemson ]

I agree with what your saying but now it looks like we will have all the offensive pieces Morris needs to run his offense completely. We could be scary good. Especially w a great defense!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2014, 8:09 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Chad Morris tweets about Clemson ]

Very well said.

The lack of interest in Boyd from the NFL regarding things like his read progressions and problems holding onto the ball for too long have piqued my interest. It makes me wonder if the dip from last year to this year at the QB position will be as massive as we all expected it to be.

This is especially true when it comes to Watson gearing up in 2015 (which seems more likely than him just stepping right into the starting role). I guess the problem there is we could lose Chad before 2015...but until then, I'm gonna enjoy this ride.

Jan 27, 2014, 8:22 AM

CK is very competitive... I would not count him out to win the job next year or the next.... that said I do think Stoudt will start at UGa this August.

Jan 27, 2014, 8:34 AM

The Chad Kelly situation is difficult for me. I think he's (potentially) in a bad situation because Stoudt has been in the system since Morris came to Clemson, giving him a systematic advantage even if I do believe Kelly is probably more gifted physically. Pair that with the arrival of Watson, who appears to be Kelly's superior physically, and who already has a deep knowledge of a similarly styled offense, and it may be difficult for him to get the starting position.

Jan 27, 2014, 9:25 AM

Because of Stoudt and the entry of Watson, Kelly could get impatient if he's not playing in 2014. I would not be surprised if he transfers and it would be hard to blame him.

Jan 27, 2014, 9:45 AM

Yea I expect him to transfer if he's not starting in 2014. I would 100% understand it too. He's a strong D1 talent who may just find him in a "perfect storm" situation.

Jan 27, 2014, 8:16 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Chad Morris tweets about Clemson ]

The players we had worked their tails off... I think that says a lot about them and the coaches.....
Also I would like to point out that Auburn and Clemson run very similar offenses with a different talent mix.... Auburn had a lot of rushing yards and Clemson a lot of passing yards.

Jan 26, 2014, 7:17 PM

Nice!! Now...beat S.C......and FSU wouldn't hurt either.

Jan 26, 2014, 7:46 PM

And he's finally about to have a qb he recruited to run his offense. Watch out!

Dilusional

Jan 26, 2014, 7:52 PM

Chad has cost us 2 straight against the obs

morris didnt turn the ball over 6 times

Jan 26, 2014, 9:05 PM

he is not the problem

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: morris didnt turn the ball over 6 times

Jan 27, 2014, 12:33 AM

Agree! Every player we have on our team knows and has been coached to hold onto the ball until the play has been blown dead. Yet some fans will constantly blame the coaches for players turning the ball over. That makes as much sense as a monkey humping a FB. Same goes with dropped passes that are just bone headed mistakes that aren't usually made in practice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

... as much sense as a monkey humping an 'exercise' ball.***

Jan 27, 2014, 1:11 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: morris didnt turn the ball over 6 times

Jan 27, 2014, 9:07 PM [ in reply to morris didnt turn the ball over 6 times ]

I know, doesn't it make your mind feel like it just took a huge bite out of a half green lemon when folks want to blame the coaches for all those bone headed turn overs!!! It makes you ask yourself, do these people really believe that our coaches teach our players the best way to turn the ball over. And that the coaches are pissed b/c the ball didn't come out the right way or something. Holly chit they have to be coots to be that stupid!!!! Dabo, Morris, and BV haters at their best at hating on our coaches. But that must be a good thing I guess b/c, they see that their high horse is about to fall flat on his A$S and crumble....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I knew Chad was going to have all those turnovers.***

Jan 26, 2014, 11:54 PM [ in reply to Dilusional ]

I bet that is on his resume.***

Jan 26, 2014, 11:29 PM

It is Delusional *

Jan 26, 2014, 11:34 PM

And Chad Morris had it going in Coladump this year , we just could not stop handing back to the Chickens. That streak has nothing to do with our offensive coordinator , it has to do with the fact that the Dirty Dirtpeckers are having a pretty good run and are on another level talented defensively right now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Were...***

Jan 27, 2014, 1:12 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chad was at least partially to blame for the first one

Jan 27, 2014, 12:26 AM

Regardless I do grow tired of his 'too cute' plays that he seems to love. They are for jump starting an offense that can't get anything done not the offense destroying the opposition. The risk of killing a drive with a negative play does not justify the gain, when you could gain it with your vanilla offense anyway. In contrast we didn't see really any gimmicks against FSU. The one team we really couldn't move the ball against.

Re: Chad was at least partially to blame for the first one

Jan 27, 2014, 8:12 AM

Agreed. I want Chad to stick to his offense. The Watkins WR pass was unforgivable. It may have been acceptable if it's the third quarter, nothing's working on offense, their defense is pinning their ears back and blitzing every play and we need some sort of spark...but this was the first drive of the ballgame and we were moving the ball at will.

Hang 70 on SCjr and the ship will be righted....

Jan 27, 2014, 8:07 AM

That is all.

Jan 31, 2014, 9:06 AM

I doubt we can repeat that agaain.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic