Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does anybody *really* think that...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Does anybody *really* think that...

Aug 26, 2013, 6:47 PM

Be honest, does anybody (Dawgs or Tigers) really think that their team is going to win in blowout fashion? I'm talking 44-6 and the like. I ask this because reading the posts on both Dawg and Tiger boards would leave you to believe that there's no way that this will be a good game, with a relatively close score. One team or the other has to win BIG, if the posts that I read are correct.

Georgia fans are saying things like Clemson has no defense, the Tigers are soft from ACC play, UGA tends to beat Clemson over the years, don't judge by the LSU game because the Bayou Bengals weren't excited about playing in that bowl game, etc etc etc. UGA easily wins this game, despite the fact that it's on opening day, on the road in a hostile environment, and against a highly ranked team.

Some Clemson fans aren't any better. UGA lost everybody who matters on defense to graduation/draft, Murray hardly ever wins a big game, the Dawgs can't hope to ever stop Clemson's offense, which will end up with 600+ yards of offense and 40+ points, Clemson's defense will be good enough to stop Georgia's offense.

Is there no Tiger or Dawg fan (besides myself) who thinks that there's more than a reasonable chance this this game will be somewhat sloppy, with opening day mistakes and jitters? Both teams having more turnovers than normal? Plenty of penalties? And a score of something like 24-21, one way or the other?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not exactly.

Aug 26, 2013, 6:51 PM

What I see happening is something close to the Clemson-FSU game last year. Close game at halftime (I believe it was 21-14 at the half), a few critical stops by one side in the second half, and one team winning comfortably, but not quite blowout levels.

(And yes, I think it'll be us winning.)

Re: Not exactly.

Aug 26, 2013, 6:54 PM

I'm okay with you thinking that your team will win. I just don't get all the 44-6, and it's over before the second quarter type of posts. These are two good teams, but playing on opening day.

Re: Not exactly.

Aug 26, 2013, 8:47 PM

I don't believe most rational fans of these teams expect it to be a blowout for either side. Obviously we'd all like it if our teams could dominate, but it's not likely. It's not just coming from the Clemson side though...I forget which, but I landed on a UGA website a few weeks ago (I think it was SB Nation) and there were guys talking about how it would be over by the half, and that they expected the Dawgs to run up 70+ points.

Re: Does anybody *really* think that...

Aug 26, 2013, 6:52 PM

it will be a close game.7 or less will decide the winner IMO.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Aug 26, 2013, 7:00 PM

I think we kick your ### 55-14. Good luck though. Seriously I agree. Thinking 35-31 either way.

Aug 26, 2013, 7:02 PM

it depends, how many UGA players get ejected for targeting?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 26, 2013, 7:12 PM

None, SEC Refs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've heard ramblings on here that they'll be ACC refs

Aug 26, 2013, 10:27 PM

Anyone know for sure?

I definitely don't think that. I believe it will be close

Aug 26, 2013, 7:39 PM

going into the 4th qtr. Your D will look strangely like LSU's did from that point on. We win 40-something to 30-something.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

I am with you!

Aug 26, 2013, 10:19 PM

45-34 after giving up a chippy late

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is no way

Aug 26, 2013, 7:52 PM

either of these offenses will be held to a single digit score. Anyone that thinks otherwise is smoking crack.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 26, 2013, 7:52 PM

Honestly, I'm thinking the game will be similar to our game vs NC State last year (not saying you guys are NC State-like, just saying we couldn't stop them and they couldn't stop us). I wouldn't be surprised to see one team in the 60s and one in the 40s. I feel pretty sure it will be a shootout, but then again I am just the average fan that doesn't know anything.

I think we will win because we are at home and generally play very well in the comfortable (for us at least) confines of Death Valley.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 26, 2013, 8:27 PM

On paper, it should be a close game.

However, both teams are noted for inexplicable meltdowns from time to time.

We'll all know for sure what goes down in 5 days!

There you go trying to use logic & not using facts

Aug 26, 2013, 8:35 PM

in the past 2 years
would like for you to do some fact checking see how many games the dawgs have played in where their D had to run more than 70 plays, then check and see how many games the Tigers O ran more than 70 plays

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I first predicted a ten point win but

Aug 26, 2013, 8:39 PM

I have moved off of that. I see a blowout by one or the other. I hope it's us. But I see a 28 point win by somebody.

count me in , heck "opening day" you never know what you

Aug 26, 2013, 9:38 PM

have.

High profile game you would think it is dialed up a notch. One never knows .

will you be in attendance ?

Aug 26, 2013, 10:03 PM

Anyone who thinks Georgia would run up 70 points doesn't know anything about Mark Richt. He's a gentleman and doesn't run up scores when it can be avoided. I'll be at the game, holding my breath until we really know what either of these teams can do. It's all speculation until kick-off.

I don't really know what to expect.

Aug 26, 2013, 10:05 PM

I'm excited to see what Venables has done with the D in his second year. Pass rush will be the key to winning this game imo.

Aug 26, 2013, 10:21 PM

Don't see how either side could be really confident. On one side you both know you have a good team who can win. On the other you both no you are playing a good team who can beat you. I think both teams know their offense will score. Both fanbases seem to be pointing out reasons their defense has the advantage but, to be honest, all of that sounds more like hope than fact. We don't know how the guys stepping into starting spots for uga will respond. We don't know how much more in sync the tiger defense will look with year two of venables. What we do know is that two very good offenses will play two unknown defenses. Leads me to look for a shootout where the team with the ball last has the best shot. To me that favors clemson as the home team and the team built to score more quickly. I have been picking clemson and hoping something would change my mind but it hasn't. Think clemson wins a close one.

All that being said, if UGA can pound out long clock killing scoring drives and really win time of possession by a large margin I think they will win by a solid margin. However, I think the cu run defense is good enough to not let that happen repeatedly. Murray will have to make some big plays in a very hostile place. Boyd will make big plays. Murray doesn't have to match him but he will have to come pretty close. Not in terms of stats but in terms of making big thows when he has to.

Aug 26, 2013, 10:23 PM

Man I just used "no" for "know." Disregard everything I said as the ramblings of an idiot. Embarrassing.

Re: Re: Does anybody *really* think that...

Aug 26, 2013, 11:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Does anybody *really* think that... ]

And that's where Gurley comes in. Word around practuce is that Gurely is Trent Richardson size with track star speed. If Gurley and Marshall get going Clemson is going to have a tough time winning

That's why they're called linebackers... if he gets that far***

Aug 27, 2013, 12:28 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Re: Does anybody *really* think that...

Aug 27, 2013, 9:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Re: Does anybody *really* think that... ]

Maybe but it could go either way. I was one of the few gamecocks picking clemson to beat lsu. Mentioned on this board that I just thought it was a good matchup for clemson. The reason was I felt clemsons run defense was being overlooked because their pass defense was subpar. Their run defense got better and better last year as the season progressed. I think thats why spurrier went withbthomoson and the possession game. I felt they would slow down the LSU backs and that mettenberger couldn't beat them. Obviously, murray is a different quality of qb than mettenberger but I think clemson can slow gurley down enough to make murray have to convert some obvious passing downs. I think the biggest matchup of the game may be murray versus death valley.

Itll be close all game with one of the teams scoring a late

Aug 26, 2013, 10:24 PM

TD to win by 10. Dont have an inclination to who but sure hope its the men in orange

this game is a toss up....

Aug 26, 2013, 10:30 PM

.. anyone who disagrees is living in the clouds.

I don't

Aug 26, 2013, 10:34 PM

I think it's going to be a tough game. If it is a blow out unfortunately I think it'll be us that get blown out. My biggest worry is our D. I know we beat LSU and all, but also almost lost to NC State. UGA has a defense as good as LSU's (well, last year. not sure what graduation and early exits did to y'all), but with an offense a lot more balanced and effective than LSU's.

It's at night, in DV, and our offense could hit the ground running. I think it'll be a close game, but not really very high scoring. I'd say somewhere in the high 20's or low 30's.

Aug 26, 2013, 10:35 PM

I'm with you, I don't think it will be a blowout by any stretch of the imagination unless one team comes out and commits something like 6 turnovers and the other is in midseason form. Which I don't see happening. Both teams WILL have opening game jitters. And both teams WILL make their fair share of mistakes.

And as far as the rest of it goes - UGA fans are naturally going to think they are superior because they are in the SEC. And we Tiger fans aren't scared of the SEC because (USC jr. notwithstanding) we've had a good track record against SEC opponents under Dabo Swinney.

However, I would like to note that I'm tired of hearing SEC homers talking about how LSU wasn't 'excited' to play in that bowl game. They came out on the first play of both halves and brought the wood to our offense - scoring on both drives/possessions and injuring Sammy Watkins in the process. So don't tell me how they 'didn't come to play' because we were obviously watching two different games. We won that game because we gassed their defense, who was not built to stop a no-huddle/hurry-up offense.

Aug 26, 2013, 11:06 PM

When you have two teams with powerful, experienced offenses but suspect defenses there is always a chance for a blowout.

Suspected of committing assault? Clemson's D "turn up".***

Aug 27, 2013, 12:32 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic