Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did SEC ever give Clemson chance before getting SC?!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Did SEC ever give Clemson chance before getting SC?!

Nov 25, 2012, 12:45 PM

What say you?!

GoTiGERs...keep getting better Boys!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did SEC ever give Clemson chance before getting SC?!

Nov 25, 2012, 12:47 PM

I don't remember, but it seems like back then SC wanted desperately to get into the ACC, and they couldn't. I could be wrong, but I don't think we wanted to get into the SEC back then because the ACC was perceived as very strong.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2012, 1:05 PM

USC was never interested in getting back into the acc

Nov 25, 2012, 1:12 PM

we would have rejoined the acc if given the chance. thats where all our natural rivalries were, we were still playing alot of them, and the indepenant thing had not worked out. acc would have been a good fit for us but they wanted fsu.

sec wanted fsu also and took us as a plan b. there was no discussion that i remember about clemson but there was also no reason for clemson to leave acc. the acc was perceived as a good conference that was getting better by adding fsu. nobody then could really have guessed that the disparity in conferences would have developed as it has.

Nov 25, 2012, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Did SEC ever give Clemson chance before getting SC?! ]

That's not true. At the time, the sentiment was that Carolina would take the first live offer from the SEC or ACC. The sentiment was also that the preference was for the ACC, but that sentiment couldn't be expressed too strongly for fear of alienating the SEC. As I've posted on this forum before, a JP exectuve told me at the time t(despite JP's preference that Carolina be readmitted), there was not a single vote to be had from any ACC school. JP's preference was that they didn't want to risk SEC expansion into the ACC footprint.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2012, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Did SEC ever give Clemson chance before getting SC?! ]

The deal was that they were not going to invade another conference. South Carolina and Florida St. were independents and the SWC had broken up, opening up an offer for Arkansas.

Nov 25, 2012, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Did SEC ever give Clemson chance before getting SC?! ]

You are correct. Given the choice back then we probably would have gone back into the ACC. But the NC schools, especially UNC did not want us back and still held a grudge about us leaving the ACC.

It worked out well in the end. But you are correct.

Re: Re: Did SEC ever give Clemson chance before getting SC?!

Nov 25, 2012, 12:52 PM

Give me a break. Is the poster above 15? SC was in the ACC. Won a conference title while there. We left the ACC. Clemson had a chance to leave with us and did not. Don't fool yourself. No one wants in to your conference.

Coot education really paying off there fry boy.

Nov 25, 2012, 12:55 PM

Maybe you should learn how to read. Dumb a$$.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coot education really paying off there fry boy.

Nov 25, 2012, 12:58 PM

All you need to know about the two conferences is one has a fifty million dollar fine to keep you in it!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1 Title....funny***

Nov 25, 2012, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Re: Did SEC ever give Clemson chance before getting SC?! ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is what I hate most about losing to the coots. DA

Nov 25, 2012, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Re: Did SEC ever give Clemson chance before getting SC?! ]

mullet-wearing mouth breathers littering the board and wasting my time having to put their sorry behinds on ignore.

Bye, stupid coot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: Re: Did SEC ever give Clemson chance before getting SC?!

Nov 25, 2012, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Re: Did SEC ever give Clemson chance before getting SC?! ]

Every body wants out. Basketball conference. In a couple of yrs yall will be the big east

Hey madison76 don't be so rude for I'm 71 & ex-sportswriter

Nov 25, 2012, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Re: Did SEC ever give Clemson chance before getting SC?! ]

and my question wasn't stupid "Stupid" !

Yes, I knew SC was in the ACC and won 1 ACC title banner which is the only one they flag so proudly at Willie B. Just asking a simple question of whether Clemson was asked to leave ACC too when SC was invited.

Obviously not since SC left over some kind of issue that had them mad at ACC...or was it something to do with Basket Ball Çoach Frank McQuire with his feud with ACC & UNC?

A "civil" answer would be appreciated...still.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SC left because the ACC was dominated by north carolina

Nov 25, 2012, 1:08 PM

at the time Clemson would have laughed at the idea of going to the SEC

Nov 25, 2012, 12:59 PM

Back in the day, there was no thought of conference expansion to the extent that it is occurring now. My guess is that there was no consideration for poaching other major conferences. The Metro was not a major conference.

Nov 25, 2012, 1:04 PM

CU was never interested they wanted to stay in the acc and be UNC puppies

Nov 25, 2012, 1:20 PM

pecock1, SC did in fact attempt getting back into the ACC but they were turned down.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2012, 1:23 PM

When the SEC added SC and Arkansas, the ACC made *more* money per school then the SEC and had better academics. There was no reason then for Clemson to join the SEC.

For the young and/or misinformed...

Nov 25, 2012, 1:58 PM

1) SC formally applied for readmission to the ACC in the late 70's and was turned down at the same time that GT was admitted. My understanding at the time was that CU was supportive of SC coming back, but the Tobacco Road monopoly was dead set against it.

2) As noted by others, there was no move on CU's part to join the SEC in 1990 and conferences weren't raiding each other in those days (it was a very different world). The SEC was also not nearly as dominant as they are now.

3) The notion that CU backed out on a deal with SC to leave the ACC in 1971 is a modern myth.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic