Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rashan Gary not playing bowl game...imagine that
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Rashan Gary not playing bowl game...imagine that

Dec 2, 2018, 11:07 PM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25436515/de-rashan-gary-michigan-wolverines-skip-peach-bowl

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rashan Gary not playing bowl game...imagine that

Dec 2, 2018, 11:21 PM

I can remember when Rashan Gary was supposedly the nation's best defensive tackle coming out of high school and Dexter Lawrence was the second best. Can anyone imagine Big Dex sitting out the bowl season like this dude? Of course not, and for that matter I cannot imagine any one of Christian Wilkins, Clelin Ferrell, Austin Bryant or Albert Huggins pulling that crap either. We have a great bunch of classy young men who put the team first. I think that Gary and Harbough just about deserve each other, and Clemson deserves the fine young men that comprise the best defensive line in the history of college football.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2018, 11:28 PM

Some of the credit for getting CW,CF et al. back for this season goes to Dabo. He is the person who develops the culture and molds them into people who cannot think of sitting out a bowl game. Dabo recruited Gary - so he must be a good guy. I bet that had he come to Clemson, he would not be skipping the bowl game.

Dec 2, 2018, 11:39 PM

In all fairness if Michigan was in the playoff he probably wouldn't sit out either.

Dec 2, 2018, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Rashan Gary not playing bowl game...imagine that ]

To be fair though, I highly doubt he’d be sitting out if Michigan were in the playoffs. I got one wouldn’t blame any of our guys like Wilkins or Lawrence that are projected to be drafted high if we had missed the playoffs and they decided to skip the bowl.

Dec 3, 2018, 6:48 AM

And if we weren't in the playoffs I cannot imagine Big Dex sitting the game out either.

He would have been a poor “Power Ranger” ...***

Dec 2, 2018, 11:48 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2018, 12:11 AM

Hey, playing for a possible National Championship is not the same as just a bowl game. Had Clemson had 2 regular season losses and missed the playoffs Dexter Lawrence would likely not play. Winning a bowl game is more just for pride. If a star player with a likely 1st round grade gets an acl tear for a bowl game, he could lose millions. It is just not worth the risk...period.

Dec 3, 2018, 12:14 AM

Although not talked about much, I suspect that all of our guys that are projected as high draft choices (at least first several rounds) have quite a hefty insurance policy against an injury that would hurt their professional careers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2018, 8:05 AM

Those insurance policies are better than having nothing, but they don't come close to making up for the money these guys can lose. Jaylyn Smith from ND lost millions a few years ago when he tore his acl in a bowl game.

Dec 3, 2018, 1:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Rashan Gary not playing bowl game...imagine that ]

They can tear an ACL in the line at McDonalds. Choosing not to play the game for fear you could lose money ( albeit a ton of cash ) is just a weak thing to do , IMO .
Also disagree with your assertion about Dexter Lawrence , I believe wholeheartedly that kid would play in the Birmingham Bowl if that is where we were headed .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dec 3, 2018, 8:08 AM

Yeah because we hear about guys tearing their knees out at McDonalds all the time right? You also have no way of knowing what Lawrence or any other player would do in the same position as Gary. Maybe he would play, but you have no way of knowing. I'd have zero problems if any of our players who came back for this season were sitting out our bowl had we not made the CFP.

Sure, they can obviously get hurt in a playoff game as well, but at least there they would be playing in a game that means something. Not that a bowl game means nothing at all, but winning the Belk Bowl or whatever, isn't going to make a huge difference to a program overall, and at least you can get some experience for whatever guy played in his place.

Dec 3, 2018, 12:48 AM

If any of our players were to sit out during a bowl game that means nothing due to the fact that they could get hurt and lose millions, would you really care that much?

Dec 3, 2018, 1:41 AM

Clowney’d. Again.

Selfish.***

Dec 3, 2018, 6:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Dec 3, 2018, 7:49 AM

I said that yesterday and predicted that. Top NFL prospects won't play in any bowls other than the playoff bowls. No bowls matter anymore other than the playoff bowls.

Something does seem a little off with Gary

Dec 3, 2018, 7:53 AM

But just viewing this as an isolated incident, I have no problem with it at all. He's been battling an injury all year, he's still projected to be a high 1st round draft pack, and his team is playing in a meaningless bowl game.

Anyone remember what happened to Michigan's Jake Butt when he decided to play in the Orange Bowl against FSU 2 years ago?

Re: Something does seem a little off with Gary

Dec 3, 2018, 7:58 AM

He is normal in this regard. Stud NFL prospects don't waste their time with meaningless bowls.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic