Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ranking Conferences
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Ranking Conferences

Jan 22, 2019, 3:16 PM

I apologize if this has already been posted. I heard about this article
[https://bellyupsports.com/2019/01/definitive-overall-college-football-conference-ranking/],
blogged about on my ACC football site
[https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2019/01/ranking-conferences-12119.html],
then thought I'd share the gist of it with you guys here...

Basically, the OP compares all FBS conferences in terms of
* average home attendance
* non-conference win% vs. P5
* bowl win%
* final AP Top 25 teams
* playoff appearances
* national championships
* Top 10 TV ratings
* NFL draft picks

Based on all of that, the ACC comes in 3rd, behind only the SEC and Big Ten:

Final Ranking.
Overall Score/Ranking
SEC 11
Big Ten 19
ACC 27
Pac-12 31
Big 12 33
AAC 47
MWC 47
CUSA 54
SBC 54
MAC 59

Sounds about right (until the ACC overtakes the Big Ten, that is!)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ranking Conferences

Jan 22, 2019, 3:59 PM

In all honesty ranking conferences really doesn't matter.

Until they start awarding championships to "conferences" instead of football teams I don't care.

Fans that hang their hat on "conference supremacy" root for teams that aren't relevant.

Congratulations to SEC fans on their supposed "conference supremacy".

Clemson isn't impressed.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2019, 4:03 PM

Attendance and viewership? That is no way to rank conferences.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2019, 4:07 PM

"Average home attendance". Now that is something the coots can hang their hat on, almost as important as riding the coattails of Alabama. They go to the games even if they are losing. In the ACC, if a team is a loser, the fans stay home.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2019, 4:42 PM

More - this time from SI.com (Seems like this SI mailbag question gets asked every off-season, doesn't it?)

Quote:
From Tim: The ACC has won three of the last six national championships. The SEC has two and the Big Ten only one. Clemson has a good shot at one or two more over the next couple years. Yet the ACC is still the Rodney Dangerfield of Power 5 conferences. Why is that?

Tim, you must be talking to people who don’t actually watch college football because people who do don’t view the ACC that way. Yes, the league was weaker top-to-bottom in 2018 than it has been in years, but that’s probably an anomaly due to Bobby Petrino quitting well before he got fired at Louisville and a horrific first year for Willie Taggart at Florida State. Plus, as everyone saw last week when Clemson demolished Alabama, the ACC absolutely had the nation’s best team in 2018.

The ACC has come a long way from the BCS era, when it was the poster child for conference mediocrity. As the playoff era dawned, it got better at the top and deeper in the middle. It got better in its annual rivalry games against SEC teams. Clemson and Florida State turned losing streaks against South Carolina and Florida into dominant winning streaks. (Florida struck back against Florida State this year, but the Gamecocks remain well behind the Tigers.) The real issue now has been consistency among the programs not named Clemson.

North Carolina broke through with a Coastal Division title in 2015 and then fell off a cliff. NC State has had its moments but keeps losing to Wake Forest and got shelled by Texas A&M in the Belk Bowl. Virginia Tech seemed to be back to its consistently competent ways in Justin Fuente’s first two years, but the Hokies went 6–7 in 2018. Miami rose and then fell again, and the Hurricanes are hoping Manny Diaz can produce a more consistent product.

What should be exciting for the league is that Scott Satterfield will get Louisville going quickly. Florida State will bounce back—either because Taggart engineered a turnaround or because the Seminoles found someone who could. What Dino Babers is doing at Syracuse looks sustainable, and Pittsburgh seemed to finally find itself in the back half of 2018. (Even though the Panthers are undergoing another offensive overhaul this offseason.)

The ACC isn’t anywhere close to the Rodney Dangerfield of Power 5 leagues. That’s clearly the Pac-12. And not Back To School, triple-lindy Rodney Dangerfield. We’re talking Ladybugs, just-here-for-the-check-and-the-chance-to-hang-with-Jackee Rodney Dangerfield.
----------

Look, I get it - the ACC had a bad non-conference record last season, and most of its flagship teams faltered... but what the league failed to do in the regular season it did in the bowls, and fresh faces taking over at Louisville, UNC, Georgia Tech and Miami could be just what the doctor prescribed!

If anything, I'd say the ACC started weak but ended pretty strong - which bodes well for 2019.

Now, when the ACC gets PAID appropriately for its performance and TV ratings... that's another question.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic