Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Random questions...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 506

Random questions...

Mar 29, 2019, 10:44 AM

Curious about something.

1. Did you or do you read comic books? What extent? Did you collect lots, or just read sometimes.

2. If you did and no longer do, about what age did you stop?

I don't remember hardly ever seeing comic books growing up...wondering if it was a generational thing that was big for mine, or a regional thing, or what.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Random questions...

Mar 29, 2019, 10:49 AM

1. No.

2. N/A

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't think I had a single friend or acquaintance that read or collected them. I'm 35 and from the midlands to help you with your regional and generational research.

My brother in law is the only one I can think of that was in to comic books. He's about 30 now and still seems to be interested in them... ***shrug***

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Nope, never did that I recall.

Mar 29, 2019, 10:50 AM

I don't remember any friends reading them either.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I pretty much learned to read from comic books.

Mar 29, 2019, 10:51 AM

One of my grandfather's best friends owned the newsstand in downtown RH, and every once in a while he would drop off a brown grocery bag filled with comics at the house. I probably stopped reading them by 7th grade or so, but when I graduated from college and was getting ready to move into the house I bought, I sold my comics to a collector. I had a footlocker that was crammed full. Can't remember exactly what he paid me, but it was in the neighborhood of a few hundred. Probably worth a LOT more if I still had them today since these would have gone back to the late 60s and early 70s.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First evidence that "older folks"

Mar 29, 2019, 10:55 AM

may be more likely to have experience with them. :)

My limited research indicates that the 1960s was a pretty big time period for comics. Stan Lee emerged, and characters like Spider-Man, Iron Man, X-Men were born.

It was definitely a big deal among kids when I was growing

Mar 29, 2019, 11:10 AM

up, but nothing at all like the comic book nerds of today. We didn't sit around and discuss the characters and stories or anything, but we definitely traded comics and baseball cards equally.

Most of what I know about nerds of today, I learned

Mar 29, 2019, 11:13 AM

from watching Big Bang Theory.

LOL, yep. That's kind of what I pictured as I was typing

Mar 29, 2019, 11:17 AM

that post.

The internet sure made it easier for those folks

Mar 29, 2019, 11:27 AM [ in reply to It was definitely a big deal among kids when I was growing ]

to find each other. My friends and I didn't sit around talking about literature of any degree though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The internet killed my side gig of buying and selling

Mar 29, 2019, 11:37 AM

instruments too. When I was traveling in sales and could every pawn shop and junk store in the two Carolinas, I could turn a pretty hefty profit because most of them weren't educated enough to recognize a lot of the rare vintage instruments. Then the internet came along, and all of a sudden every pawn shop decided that their Mexican-made Squier Tele or Strat was worth $800. Now all pawn shops ever get is trash that probably can't even be made playable because there are too many outlets for buying, selling, or pricing instruments.

I am glad to hear at least one person defeated a

Mar 29, 2019, 12:18 PM

pawn shop. I have always just had an uneasy feeling in them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My best win was a 1960 Les Paul TV Special that I picked up

Mar 29, 2019, 2:25 PM

from a pawn shop in RH for $200. It wasn't in mint condition but I still got $2500 for it. It's worth WAY more now.

Re: I am glad to hear at least one person defeated a

Mar 30, 2019, 2:39 AM [ in reply to I am glad to hear at least one person defeated a ]

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GxvnVzaDglI

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

I never cared too much for them.

Mar 29, 2019, 11:04 AM

Didn't like trying to figure out the order to read the bubbles.

I read a few when I was pretty young

Mar 29, 2019, 11:05 AM

Early elementary school but the pictures distract me. Give me a wall of text any day.

I did keep reading mad magazine into high school if that counts as a comic.

I’ve noticed my 20 something to 30 something friends seem to be into them and the whole Comic-Con, cos play thing.

There are a few snobbish hipster folks I know that wouldn’t be caught dead reading comic books but are all about “graphic novels”

The success of the Marvel movies

Mar 29, 2019, 11:09 AM

has perhaps led to a resurgence among young adults.

I will admit I've seen all of those movies, and am a big fan, to the point of seeing them in theaters right away and buying them on DVD. They are well-made.

I'll agree on Mad Magazine.

Mar 29, 2019, 11:12 AM [ in reply to I read a few when I was pretty young ]

Read that, Cracked Magazine, and National Lampoon probably until I went off to college.

I was way more into those

Mar 29, 2019, 11:16 AM

National Lampoon, esp. because boobies.

Somewhere in the attic, I still have the issue with

Mar 29, 2019, 11:20 AM

Pinto's First Lay, which is the short story that the ###### from Animal House sprung from.

s c r i p t...

Mar 29, 2019, 11:21 AM

for the love of all that is holy and righteous.

I did have one comic book...

Mar 29, 2019, 11:07 AM

I think some aunt or uncle must have given it to me for a Christmas present or something. Looking back now, I think it was more of a "compilation" of issues in one larger book. It was about the Death of Superman, and I can still remember a lot of how it went. This huge ugly thing called Doomsday killed him. I read that thing probably 100 times...didn't have much else to do, I guess.

I went out and bought the Death of Superman issue when it

Mar 29, 2019, 11:16 AM

came out, I think around 1992 maybe? Didn't even read it, but I still have it in the plastic sleeve untouched since purchase. No idea what it's worth, but I figured with all the hype it would be worth more than I paid for it someday. Everyone in my office went out and got one that day.

Yep, that would be the timeframe...I was 8-9 years old.***

Mar 29, 2019, 11:19 AM

Re: I went out and bought the Death of Superman issue when it

Mar 29, 2019, 11:21 AM [ in reply to I went out and bought the Death of Superman issue when it ]

about $300 if you can find a buyer

https://www.hollywoodmemorabilia.com/item/superman-75-dc-comics-193-comic-book-cgc-98-death-of-superman.html?sku=9293334&utm_source=HollywoodMem_PLA&utm_medium=cse&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImeWr4NKn4QIVymSGCh0Z6AwdEAQYASABEgICwPD_BwE

This thing I had was a larger book, probably 100 pages.

Mar 29, 2019, 11:23 AM [ in reply to I went out and bought the Death of Superman issue when it ]

Probably worth nothing, since it wasn't the actual "comic book issue", but a compilation. There were parts centered around other characters besides Superman, but all tied in to the story of this Doomsday thing.

Easily found what I had on Amazon....

Mar 29, 2019, 11:28 AM

This is exactly it.

https://www.amazon.com/Death-Superman-Dan-Jurgens/dp/9990006520/

There were somewhere around 10 of them

Mar 29, 2019, 11:34 AM [ in reply to This thing I had was a larger book, probably 100 pages. ]

The death of superman was followed by a series "funeral for a friend" I believe. Of course followed by the "re-birth" of superman.. lol..

I used to collect comics, but I never read them.. I think I still have that whole set put away somewhere in mint condition.. No clue how much they may be worth.

GO TIGERS!!

I read a lot of collections of classic spiderman

Mar 29, 2019, 11:28 AM

comics as a kid, but I never bought or collected any single release comic books.

ROH

Yes, I collected comics, mostly in the 80's, mostly Marvel

Mar 29, 2019, 11:54 AM

So, that would have been between the ages of 6 to 16...

Still have a box of them in the closet, weren't worth much the last time I checked - mostly X-Men, Spiderman, Avengers, Fantastic Four.

Once in awhile, I'll get on the Marvel app on my iPad Pro and read some older comics - that size iPad is perfect for reading magazines and comics.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2019, 12:01 PM

I read the Walking Dead comics all the way through when the zombies breached the walls of Alexandria.

Nothing other than that though.

same as you.

Mar 29, 2019, 12:26 PM

I was born 1985 and never had any interest in them

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I rarely saw them growing up, either, but they were...

Mar 29, 2019, 12:31 PM

fairly popular. I might've bought one or two just to check them out, but I was more into actual books. Now people read comic books and call them "graphic novels" to make themselves feel more grown up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I grew up in the 70s and didn't read comic books, but

Mar 29, 2019, 12:46 PM

I had several friends that were super into it. Just never appealed to me.

Now, however, my 12 yr old is into all this Marvel movie stuff and I actually find it kinda interesting. I was shocked at how well made the movies were.

Mar 29, 2019, 2:16 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heck yeah I read em. Still have my collection of a few thou

Mar 30, 2019, 8:15 AM

My Dad would always bring them home for me. Loved reading em.

Offered them to my kids before to read but I may as well have offered for them to sniff dog poop.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2019, 8:45 PM

yes - read only Marvel - Spiderman, FF, X-men, Iron Man, etc from age 8-9 to 13ish. Marvel had the best artists back then, imo.

Still have a lot of them - put away in plastic bags for whatever anyone wants to do with them down the road.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 506
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic