Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Random Thought on Awards
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 982

Random Thought on Awards

Jul 25, 2018, 11:34 AM

IF there was one award a Clemson player could win this upcoming season, and it would mean (via its significance) that Clemson would win the National Title....what award would that be?**

**Heisman is not included for the purpose of this question

I saw Greg Huegel was named to the Lou Groza watch list, and I thought that if he won that award, being a consistent scoring machine, that could lock up the Title. I choose this because most everyone feels secure in the defense, RBs, and QB options. And when it comes to tight games in the playoffs, you need points to win.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Random Thought on Awards

Jul 25, 2018, 11:37 AM

The answer is the Biletnikoff Award. If we have a receiver who puts up enough yards/TDs to win this award, then our offense was highly effective. Combine that with our defense and we win a national championship.

null

You serious, Clark?

Jul 25, 2018, 11:41 AM

You are saying you would rather see our kicker win a national award instead of...

A QB winning the Maxwell or O'Brien award?
A D-Lineman winning the Bednarik or Nagurski award?
A RB winning the Walker award?
and most of all
A WR winning the Belitnikoff award??

C'mon man!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You serious, Clark?

Jul 25, 2018, 12:12 PM

Yeah, excluding the QB awards, it would have to be watching Tee Higgins winning the Belitnikoff award. It would be nice to see Greg win an award for kicking the most xtra points by a kicker in a season.

I'd also vote for Galloway to have a breakout season as well but I really think we'll see enough rotation at TE for one to win the award... but definitely needs to figure into our O a lot more than last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You serious, Clark?

Jul 25, 2018, 12:53 PM [ in reply to You serious, Clark? ]

I get it, I really do. But, the question wasn't necessarily what award I want to see a Clemson player bring home because it is a cool award. We've had plenty of players be finalists for almost all awards in less than stellar team seasons, and so have other teams.

Just an example of winners for the awards you listed:

Maxwell - Mayfield OU, Jackson UL, Henry BAMA,
O'Brien - Mayfield OU, Watson CU, Watson CU,
Bednarik - Fitzpatrick BAMA, Allen BAMA, Matakevich TEM
Nagurski - Chubb NCSU, Allen BAMA, Matakevich TEM
Walker - Love STAN, Foreman UT, Henry BAMA,
Biletnikoff - Washington OKST, Westbrook OU, Coleman BAY

Title winners there are Henry, Watson, and Fitzpatrick. So out of 18 possible instances, 4 hit, and Henry counts for 2/4 in one season. While there are some big names there, can't really point to one as a surefire Title aware, just all nice to have. But in full disclosure, the last 3 Groza winners are from Utah, ASU, and UCLA.

For a points breakdown (by primary position):

Groza winners points scored:
2017 Gay (UTAH) 130 points VS Washington (78pts), Love (114 pts)
2016 Gonzalez (ASU) 108 points VS Westbrook (102 pts), Foreman (90 pts)
2015 Fairbairn (UCLA) 107 points VS Coleman (120pts), Henry (168pts)

As you can see, kickers fair pretty well, when they are used. And 2015 was a stupid-good season fro Henry, 28 TDs rushing. Keep in mind, most are relied on for kickoffs as well, which is another added component if you're getting touchbacks. Also have to keep in mind, Linemen/Defense awards don't necessarily mean points on the board, like a kicker award does.

I was just trying to pick one award, where 1 player would have the most impact, beyond the known quantities we know from all the positions you listed. And again, we'd like to think (based solely on last year) that kicking would be the biggest question mark awards-wise.

Replies: 4
| visibility 982
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic