Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Quiet Determination.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Quiet Determination.....

Nov 29, 2013, 2:01 PM

OK....for all the young folks, this is a post that a lot of older Tiger fans will identify with....but that doesn't mean it won't be worth reading---at least I hope not.

Anyone who's over the age of, say, 60, had parents who grew up in the midst of the Great Depression and far, far too many wars. Like all kids, we looked to our parents as examples to mold our lives after. Once we reached maturity, we began to glean what it must've been like for their generation and the incredible trials and tribulations they endured rightfully earning an appelation "The Greatest Generation."

I bring this up as a comparison to Tiger fans who endured our football program from about 1969 to around 1976--or, as I refer to it, "the late, oft lamented Hootie era." Take a few moments if you're unfamiliar and do a little research on Clemson football during those years. But don't misunderstand--I am in no way demeaning the special folks who practiced long hours beneath the Carolina sun and played their hearts out on Saturdays. Not in the least. Its the fans who sat in the stands during that time and cheered "their" Tigers just as hard and as loud as fans do "post MNC" I'm focusing on.....simply because I, and many of my living friends, sat amongst them.

Everyone on Tnet has now had to put up with snotty chicken fans who, after an eyedropper full of football success (historically speaking), run their mouths as if their football program had the bonafides of Notre Dame or Michigan or Alabama....or that somehow association with a conference has given them credibility. Its all smoke much like their lame player entrance. One doesn't just erase 100plus years of football impotence. It takes a long time. And whether they like it or not, this brief run-- which has oddly coincided with downswings in the programs at UFla, UTenn, and muddled years at UGa-- will do nothing to erase the chickens' miserable history in the minds of discerning fans.

My point is simple. Like the thousands of Tiger fans who endured those old bad days, we have all endured the bad new days (which really haven't been bad at all) with a quiet determination that will see onfield humiliation of the chickens return. It seems to me this particular Tiger team exhibits that same quiet determination and confidence. The time is nigh.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great Post!***

Nov 29, 2013, 2:03 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Born in '68

Nov 29, 2013, 2:07 PM

So I lived through it, but don't exactly remember it

Ironically, my first memories as a Tiger fan start around '78. That doesn't make me a coot, does it? Hope not, or I will have to turn my Clemson diploma in!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Quiet Determination.....I AGREE!!!

Nov 29, 2013, 3:19 PM

Excellent Post...
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Quiet Determination.....

Nov 29, 2013, 3:32 PM

1st game -- '67 beat NC State White Shoes "D". Clemson came down "The Hill" wearing orange shoes. Some of the good things 1) Tiger Paw, 2) Red Parker, 3) Steve Fuller, 4) "The Catch" Jerry Butler version. Greatest game I have ever seen in person or on TV.

Great, and very well written post. Having endured

Nov 29, 2013, 3:32 PM

the 68-72 seasons as a student, I can relate. And, as a gentle reminder to us and the coots, Auburn did whip Alabama about 5-6 times straight, but Alabama seems to have righted that ship.Indeed, the time is nigh.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Well done, Sir. Well done.***

Nov 29, 2013, 4:09 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will be 75 next Saturday and was the PA announcer during

Nov 29, 2013, 4:12 PM

some of those days you write about and a reporter going back to the dark days of the last Howard years. You have spoken the truth and in a great and forceful manner. Thumbs up my young friend.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2013, 4:19 PM

Considering where he started from, its hard not to give credit to what Spurrier has done during his tenure even considering the demise of 2 of the perennial powers in the Eastern division. That said, compare where Dabo is in his 5th year as Head Coach to where Spurrier was during his 5th year. The 4 year head start he had is a significant advantage to overcome. Spurrier's record in his first 5 years: 35-28 with losing record in the Conference (18-22). Dabo's record in his first 5 years (so far): 46-18 with a 30-10 record in the conference. Certainly ACC NOT equal to SEC but just being in the SEC during the past decade has certainly provided significant recruiting and financial advantages to offset the more difficult competition on-the-field. Dabo's best years are still ahead of him.............not sure that can be said for the HBC.

Nov 30, 2013, 7:30 AM

I survived 68-70 and pepsodent Paul. I endured 6 years as a student with losing records. I sat thru 56-20. But, I sat thru the rain in Athens for 7-6. I suffered the 77 gator bowl but gloried in the woody Hayes game, the 82 orange bowl, the Rodney Williams years and have a winning record in my life against the arrogant dirtpeckers. It is time to change the narrative. It is time to use our position and situation in the "lesser" acc as motivation. It is time for a steve fuller to step up. It is time for a future terry kinard to step up. It is time for something akin to 63-17 to happen again. It is time to stop the bleeding. It is time for the catch, the kick, the drive, 1st and 35, 4th and 16, the Stop. Today is the day. Who will step up?

Nice work TJ7. Always good to consider the big picture

Nov 30, 2013, 8:10 AM

when looking at events instead of the 10-minute perspective.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The time is nigh!

Nov 30, 2013, 8:33 AM

I am so proud of this team. They have worked hard, improved as the year has gone on, and are peaking at the right time. Quiet determination...let it explode tonight! Go Tigers!

Well said Jim! *******

Nov 30, 2013, 8:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here, here!!***

Nov 30, 2013, 9:07 AM

Nov 30, 2013, 4:17 PM

I turned 62 this week, and have never faltered nor turn my back on being a hard nose Tiger fan. And there has been some very unhappy times. But you can never know just how happy you are with our Tigers, unless you know how unhappy you have been with some of our seasons. It's great to be a Clemson Tiger!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every streak ends

Nov 30, 2013, 5:25 PM

Will it be tonight? I hope so, but if it's not, it will soon. I want it for Tajh and Dabo more than for me. I can handle it, but it's their life! I think the pressure is on us and that scares me. The last thing we want is to press. I feel pretty good about the game but win or lose, I'd take being a tiger any day!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen!!

Nov 30, 2013, 5:30 PM

null

Message was edited by: 1983Grad®

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic