Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Questions about Hulu and Streaming in general
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Questions about Hulu and Streaming in general

Aug 9, 2019, 6:37 PM

I am considering cutting the cord but this is all very new to me. I am looking at using Hulu. I currently have 3 TVs but usually only 2 are used at the same time. I also have a vacation spot with 2 TVs. The Internet speed at my vacation spot is only 50 mbps and that is the max available.

My questions assuming I go with Hulu:
* When network and/or ESPN games are regional will I see the games in my region or all of them?
* If my region is that based on my billing zip code?
* How would you recommend using Hulu on all these TVs? I have an old Roku (hate it) and Chromecast and AppleTV. I really like the Apple TV but its expensive. The Chromecast seems to have more issues and it seems more and more sites are making it hard or impossible to use from my Mac or iPhone

Any other recommendations??

Thanks from an old technology challenged Tiger

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Questions about Hulu and Streaming in general

Aug 9, 2019, 7:19 PM

Your Only option is You tube TV. All the others do not allow sharing outside of your zip code . They kick you off when someone logs into your account other than on a mobile device outside of your home area .

YouTube TV allows up to three simultaneous streams , and I am using one in Tampa right now while my wife is at home in TN using hers

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NOT true

Aug 10, 2019, 9:42 AM

PSVue allows 5 simultaneous streams in your home, 3 total outside your home. And it works on Fire stick. And it has NFL Network, NFL Red Zone, NHL, and MLB networks. And unlimited DVR. Best streaming package for sports, without a doubt. Streaming outside of your house has to be on a computer or mobile phone, but you can use Chromecast on a TV outside the home.

Aug 9, 2019, 7:19 PM

Your Only option is You tube TV. All the others do not allow sharing outside of your zip code . They kick you off when someone logs into your account other than on a mobile device outside of your home area .

YouTube TV allows up to three simultaneous streams , and I am using one in Tampa right now while my wife is at home in TN using hers

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2019, 7:26 PM

I have You Tube TV and I use it with Roku stick. I use it in AZ and SC. You can use it with more devices and TV’s than Hulu Live. Unlike Sling TV ... you can also view the same program at the same time on multiple TV’s. I get the AZ locals when I am in SC. I havent checked on how to switch the locals when u are in a different location. I believe you will be able to switch as long as the IP address matches up with the new zip code. ( Not positive on how that works ) . 50 mb is plenty . The streaming has a lot to do with the processor of the device ( ie Roku ) . Amazon firestick does not support YouTube TV. Pricing is around $45/mo. I would definitely consider YouTube Tv. I had Sling before and its way better. They offer free 7 day trial and its mo/mo so its just a click away from pausing the account and you can then unpause it with a click as well.

Aug 9, 2019, 7:35 PM

Thanks! Do you know if I could still use My existing AppleTV with YouTube (and supplement with new Rokus for my other TVs)?

Regular YouTube has been iffy on my AppleTV so worries me a bit.

Aug 9, 2019, 8:32 PM

cu1981fans said:

Thanks! Do you know if I could still use My existing AppleTV with YouTube (and supplement with new Rokus for my other TVs)?

Regular YouTube has been iffy on my AppleTV so worries me a bit.

yes my sister uses Apple TV on one tv and Roku on others .

Aug 9, 2019, 8:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Questions about Hulu and Streaming in general ]

pshuey21 said:

I have You Tube TV and I use it with Roku stick. I use it in AZ and SC. You can use it with more devices and TV’s than Hulu Live. Unlike Sling TV ... you can also view the same program at the same time on multiple TV’s. I get the AZ locals when I am in SC. I havent checked on how to switch the locals when u are in a different location. I believe you will be able to switch as long as the IP address matches up with the new zip code. ( Not positive on how that works ) . 50 mb is plenty . The streaming has a lot to do with the processor of the device ( ie Roku ) . Amazon firestick does not support YouTube TV. Pricing is around $45/mo. I would definitely consider YouTube Tv. I had Sling before and its way better. They offer free 7 day trial and its mo/mo so its just a click away from pausing the account and you can then unpause it with a click as well.

Unless you really want to switch to SC locals I would not do it. You are only allowed to switch your home zone 4 times In a year . That is with YouTube . If you are using half and half each year you could do it. Or if you preferred to have SC locals in n AZ you could do it. Just not more than 4 times in 12 months.

You tube Tv is the Only one of the big streaming services that allows you to use TVs in multiple zip codes . That is a big plus for some people. I was very happy when they picked up ACC network

Aug 9, 2019, 9:31 PM

Let me settle this for you Go with YouTube tv you won't be sorry. You get all the local channels unlimited DVR (which you have to pay extra on hulu) if you go out of town it still works without turning your home one off if someone at home is watching. Better user interface and yes you can watch regional games. Didn't miss a single Clemson game last year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2019, 10:13 PM

I currently use Hulu with live TV. I used to use DirecTV Now which didn't care where you were but their sports programming went down the tube. Hulu does use your home zip code but you can still use it on vacation on your phone, laptop or tablet. These devices just have to log into your home network at least once every month I think. What I've done in the past is use my VPN to make it look like I'm in another city. This is helpful being a Bears fan and not wanting to watch the Panthers every week.

Aug 10, 2019, 12:54 AM

There is a way to watch on a regular TV at another location. I currently have Directv, but am looking to change to Hulu. I just talked to Hulu last night and told the rep that I had a lake house and needed to be able to go from my residence to the lake house. Once I told him that was a deal breaker (that if it wouldn't port, I wouldn't change), he then fessed up. Use whatever device you want on your home network... I use a Firestick. He said you had to have a Chromecast (only works with a Chromecast) on your other TV. Login on your laptop, phone... and then cast to the TV. I haven't tried it yet, but the rep said that would work. I'll be trying it soon.

Aug 10, 2019, 7:28 AM

detyger said:

There is a way to watch on a regular TV at another location. I currently have Directv, but am looking to change to Hulu. I just talked to Hulu last night and told the rep that I had a lake house and needed to be able to go from my residence to the lake house. Once I told him that was a deal breaker (that if it wouldn't port, I wouldn't change), he then fessed up. Use whatever device you want on your home network... I use a Firestick. He said you had to have a Chromecast (only works with a Chromecast) on your other TV. Login on your laptop, phone... and then cast to the TV. I haven't tried it yet, but the rep said that would work. I'll be trying it soon.

That is correct because you are technically watching it on your phone and streaming to your chrome cast attached to the TV. That works but is sort of a pain. YouTubeTV just lets you use your TVs in both locations is cheaper has unlimited DVR and more simultaneous streams included. The only reason i was considering Hulu live was because YouTubeTV had not picked up the ACCNetwork. Now that they have . It is a no brained for me , YouTubeTV

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic