Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question on Alabama recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Question on Alabama recruiting

Jan 26, 2017, 7:41 PM

Each year we are told that Alabama is number 1 or 2 as far as elite talent in their recruiting class. We hear they have 4 and 5 star players in most all backup positions who would be starters on most all teams. Now I see where one of their top line backers said he played almost all the snaps during the championship game and could hardly walk for several days after the game. If they have those elite talented players are they not getting coached up or are they not as elite as they are said to be. I understand there is a drop off usually in backups but my goodness if anyone shouldn't have a drop off or at least much of one it should be Alabama with their wealth of 4 and 5 star recruits.What say you?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question on Alabama recruiting

Jan 26, 2017, 7:48 PM

At the beginning of Monte Burke’s biography of Nick Saban, he describes a conversation between the new – at the time – Alabama head coach and his new boss, athletic director Mal Moore. Moore and Saban were in the air, leaving Miami and bound for Tuscaloosa to make the announcement that would change the face of college football.

In Burke’s re-telling of the story, Saban asked Moore if he thought he just hired “the best football coach in the country.”

Somewhat taken aback, Moore said yes.

“Well you haven’t,” Saban told him. “I’m nothing without my players. But you did just hire one hell of a recruiter.”

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/alabama-biggest-recruiting-misses-nick-saban/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 26, 2017, 7:54 PM

You know I was thinking the same thing. The game announcers kept talking about Alabama's front seven wasn't as deep as in years past. According to all the recuiting experts Alabama has had the number 1 recruiting class the last 4 to 5 years and the most 4 and 5 star recruits. So how can they not have second and third string front seven that are as good or better than most other power five program's starters?

Jan 26, 2017, 10:57 PM

They are thin for only this season and they were EXTREMELY lucky that the 5 seniors in the front 7 came back this season for them or it would have been a different ball game for them. They will be even thinner next year with some freshman coming in and Hand and Frazier coming back. The issue they have is guys tend to stay longer at Bama because they don't get a chance to showcase themselves until their Junior and Senior seasons...that makes guys behind them young and inexperienced. They usually balance back out every 2 years with depth. What they've done has been remarkable considering guys like Hand, Allan, Robinson, Tomlinson, and Foster could have left last season for the NFL and probably had success.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jan 26, 2017, 8:13 PM

I get what you are saying, and it makes sense. But I believe the amount of championships they have won the last 8 years speaks for their recruiting. They have made all 3 playoffs and will probably make it again next year. That comes from recruiting high every year.

you are right. I think their recruiting ranking is part of

Jan 26, 2017, 9:02 PM

The media sec hype. How else could we match up to them 2 years in a row if we had alledgedly lower ranked classes than theirs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

We had two 5 star LB recruits who

Jan 26, 2017, 9:23 PM

didn't play against Bama. Bouleware and Joseph played every play or almost every play. I guess there are certain positions where coaches want experience out there no matter how tired the players are.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty simple - if Bama converts 5-6 3rd downs, Clemson _

Jan 26, 2017, 10:44 PM

Doesn't run 99 plays.

If we run say 80 plays, then substitution Bama issues and depth are not significant.

Bama's defense and coaches was not prepared for playing a game 1 and 1/2 games against a spread offense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pretty simple - if Bama converts 5-6 3rd downs, Clemson _

Jan 26, 2017, 11:00 PM

Spot on.

They knew it was going to be difficult because history indicated that, but they weren't prepared for 99 plays. See LSU peach bowl.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic