Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for the bored...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Question for the bored...

Jan 29, 2019, 4:38 PM

Let me preface this by saying that my question is in no way intended to be accusatory. It's a genuine question. So I'm gonna do my best to ask it in a way that avoids that presumption. But if it comes across as such, please know that's NOT what I'm trying to do.

We know that Dabo always tells interested prospects to take their time before committing to his program. He wants them to make sure they're 110% all in from day one, and he unashamedly preaches the "commitment means commitment" message to all of his guys.

Knowing that, is it a bad look for Dabo to go recruit a player that's already committed to another program? Does that look hypocritical? As nothing more than an outsider fan, I obviously don't know the detailed ins and outs of life in Dabo's profession, so I gladly claim ignorance on the subject. I was just wondering about this from an ethical standpoint though. On the surface, my mind wants to think it's a hypocritical move, but I'm not ready to grant my mind that conclusion yet.

I love Dabo and everything he stands for. He has earned the right through all of his successes to be given the benefit of the doubt almost every time. And I hope he stays at Clemson for the rest of his career. But I'd love your opinions on this. And if anyone has any first-hand experience (as a former player, coach, etc), I'm definitely interested in your take.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo is committed to his offer. That is all.

Jan 29, 2019, 4:50 PM

Dabo's job is to bring in the best young men he can. He is committed to his offer when it is given. That is all. He is not necessarily doubting an athlete's commitment. He is only giving them the opportunity to come play at Clemson.

Is it like asking a girl out when she's engaged? Of course it is, but it would be better to know now than after the wedding (i.e. transfer portal).

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for the bored...

Jan 29, 2019, 4:53 PM

If the player commits to us they have to be 110%. It doesn't matter if they aren't committed to their other options.

Jan 29, 2019, 5:16 PM

There are different philosophies in recruiting. you stated Dabo's philosophy. Some other schools hand out offers like candy. Maybe 5 times what they will accept. Theses offers are not committable. In other words they must get school's permission to accept. Other schools, accept a verbal commit but later may tell recruit his verbal commit is no good (because they find a better player).
Dabo accepts first player to verbally commit and never pulls the offer if that player commits.
there is no issue with offering player who have verbally committed to other schools.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2019, 5:33 PM

Is it fair to conclude that by offering a player who is already committed elsewhere, Dabo expects him to break that commitment and commit to Clemson instead? Does that go against what Dabo expects from his OWN verbally committed players?

No, it's just like being in sales and going after customers.

Jan 29, 2019, 5:28 PM

If you believe in your product or service you get a warm sensation from delivering information about your product to those in search of a supplier. Dabo doesn't lie or deceive in any manner, as best as I can tell.

His determination to not offer a Clemson scholarship until he's ready to hold a place for a recruit shows his integrity. Knowing that other coaches will offer five kids the same spot on their roster is a fair comparison to gauge Dabo's integrity. Offering kids a sure spot often bails them out of being victims of those wishwashy coaches who offer one knowing they'd turn him away if a better or higher ranked recruit suddenly commits late to play for them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2019, 5:30 PM

Dabo also does not offer unless he has a real chance at landing a recruit. Meaning the conversation with this particular player had to have indications that the player was willing to decommit fro Alabama. How could Dabo know this player has any idea of decommitment? He had to have conversations with him before the offer was extended.

Jan 29, 2019, 5:46 PM

Solid question but think about it this way, would he be doing them a service by never telling them they had a shot at Clemson because they made a rash decision for a smaller/equal school? Or by saying hey, I know you're a verbal commitment elsewhere but after spending time looking at your film and you as a person we would like to have you as a part of our class here at Clemson if you want... Dabo's job is the put the best players (skill and fit) on the field at any given time regardless and if he doesn't go after the best pieces he's never going to accomplish that so I think it's acceptable for any coach to do that, let the kid know his options and pick how he builds for his future.

Jan 29, 2019, 5:58 PM

I doubt anyone on this board know all coach Swinney feeling on this subject.I don’t think it’s unethical to offer a player who is committed to another school.If he is truly committed all he has to say is no thanks.I know that some of those committed to Clemson have received offers from other schools and that also in my mind isn’t unethical

Jan 29, 2019, 5:59 PM

I’d say if there is a problem, it’s that “committed” is a made up term that has no standing as far as the NCAA is concerned. It means nothing. In everyday life the meaning of committed is clear. The sports talking heads use that discrepancy between real world understanding and NCAA legalese and they try to draw a straight line between the two, when in fact there is zero connection. I know a girl that “committed” to Texas when she was in the 7th grade. That’s all fine and dandy, if she makes it there she’ll be a star for sure, but if she shreds her knees before she gets there guess what, Texas won’t be doing anything for her. That’s how much “committed” means.

Jan 29, 2019, 6:43 PM

Many recruits commit and even say in their commitment announcement that they are still open to offers or considering others. In other words not truly committed. Not saying this particular case but if they have truly closed down their options it seems like they wouldn't even announce another offer.

Seriously? Morally Obligatory? Hilarious****

Jan 29, 2019, 7:11 PM

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic