Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for house coots
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,177

Question for house coots

Dec 3, 2019, 9:13 AM

I don't have an account on any UofSC websites so I'll ask here, and it's not meant to be an insult of any kind.

If given the opportunity, should y'all leave the SEC? Would you want to?

You've beat your chest for years about being in the SEC but what has being in the SEC really gotten you?

Finances? You used to argue that Clemson wouldn't be able to keep up with you bringing in an the SEC money, yet you've been the one playing catch up with facilities. Even more than that, your school seems to basically have said the only reason Muschamp is still coaching is because you can't afford the buyout. There were even reports that you asked FSU (gasp, an ACC school) how it managed it's similar buyout.

Other schools have proven you don't have to be in the SEC to be elite, and you don't have to play an unthinkably tough schedule.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for house coots

Dec 3, 2019, 9:46 AM

This is definitely something I have changed my opinion on in the past few years.

A decade ago I would have called you crazy. But yeah, I would leave the SEC in a heartbeat for the ACC for the reasons you mention.

It’s just impossible to build traction in the conference if you’re not one of the haves. Our football program has the same problem your basketball program has in the ACC. Just too many blue bloods to overcome

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Dec 3, 2019, 9:53 AM

That's a reasonable reply.

My counter to your point about your football program and our basketball program would be, how many players come to either program so they can say they play in the best conference in the country for their particular sport?

I don't pay attention to scar football recruiting in detail, but I know I have at least heard Clemson basketball recruits mention that there is a draw to playing in the ACC.

If you lose those players who sign up for a lower tier program in a top tier conference, how much would it hurt either program?

I don't know the answer but it's something that would definitely have an impact.

Dec 3, 2019, 9:56 AM

I think Dabo has shown if you’re winning kids won’t care the quality of opponents you’re beating.

But I agree it takes away one of the carrots you have to offer.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Dec 3, 2019, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Question for house coots ]

I think the recruiting results for both Clemson basketball and South Carolina speak for themselves.

You may be 1 or 2 good recruits every now and then who are drawn to the conference affiliation, but for the most part, both our basketball recruiting and usc football recruiting hasnt been impressive. Although Clemson BB recruiting has seemed to pick up a little with the new facilities.

I think most of the time players want to play for a team that is winning vs playing for a losing team in a conference that's winning

Dec 3, 2019, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Question for house coots ]

UofSC joining the ACC would be an excellent catalyst for Notre Dame to finally join the ACC in football.
Keep the divisions balanced, etc...
Believe I read a while back where ND extended their TV contract with NBC however.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,177
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic