Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about transfers and sitting out a year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Question about transfers and sitting out a year

Feb 11, 2019, 7:54 AM

I mentioned this in another thread but I am sure it got buried and not read.

I know coaches do not have to sit if they change programs and the student-athletes do, but aren't the coaches more an exception to the norm? Every job I have had after Clemson I signed an intellectual property and non-compete agreement. If I leave my company I cannot do this again for a year. I effectively "sit out" a year. And yes my current company has enforced it on a marketing rep that left a few years back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every job I have had paid me money***

Feb 11, 2019, 8:00 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and football players at least, are now paid a stipend***

Feb 11, 2019, 8:01 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Every job I have had paid me money***

Feb 11, 2019, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Every job I have had paid me money*** ]

CLEMSON provides most everything else, but the players have to BYOG.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably not as much as football players are paid though

Feb 11, 2019, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Every job I have had paid me money*** ]

Scholarship stipend room and board is a lot more than just the 34000 a year tuition

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question about transfers and sitting out a year

Feb 11, 2019, 8:03 AM

In my jurisdiction a non-compete is cannot be enforced. They put it in contracts as most will assume it can be enforced so they won’t bother going to a competitor, but if you fight it then you will win.

In the case of players/coaches, I agree there should be consistency. I assume a coach under contract needs approval from the team to leave or they negotiate a clause in the contract to give the coach the power of choice. Players do not have the same representation and therefore follow the rules placed upon them by the NCAA system.

Feb 11, 2019, 8:03 AM

If a coach is fired and paid a buyout, then I assume that is the "penalty", although that affects the school more than the coach. If a coach was in a high paying contract and vluntarily left to take another job, I am not sure how that would work.

Not college, but I know in the NFL Bruce Arians left the Cardinals and basically had to "sit out" last year before being able to sign with the Bucs since he had left a contract.

However I know Chad Morris had signed a large contract extension with SMU and then left the next year for Arkansas, so I'm not sure how that was allowed...

Message was edited by: aclemfan48®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2019, 9:44 AM

In the case of Morris and most mid major coaches, I believe they make sure to write into their contract that they can only leave for a "step up" job.

Morris would not have been able to leave for another mid major head coaching position.

SMU most likely also wrote in that Morris could not leave for an OC position at any school.

I have heard of that before as well.

I believe our coordinators have it written into their contracts that leaving for another coordinator position requires the next school to pay some sort of buy-out.

I'm not positive on that but have heard that mentioned before.

Feb 11, 2019, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Question about transfers and sitting out a year ]

It's usually done with buyouts. If a coach leaves for another program there is a buyout that the coach or new school has to pay that will allow the coach to coach immediately. In most cases that's for a lateral move. For example head coach to head coach position. Where as if say a Defensive Coordinator leaves for a head coaching position then that does not apply. Now remember back when Danny Ford left. He was not allowed to coach anywhere else until his contact was completed at Clemson. So he went initially to Arkansas as a advisor. While Clemson paid his salary for the next I think 3 years. If he would've started coaching before that 3 years were up Clemson would no longer have to pay him and he would've ended up having to pay something back. I believe they did the same thing to Tommy Bowden when he left. He decided to go into broadcasting instead of coaching and We had to pay the remaining portion of his contract.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2019, 1:52 PM

Most noncompete clauses can't be enforced.

If you did sign one, why would you possibly do that?

Where does your company get engineers when they hire experienced talent?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our non-compete is more for our marketing people

Feb 11, 2019, 2:15 PM

to keep them from trying to take their sales contacts with them. We had one try to just to do just that and they enforced the non-compete on him.

It didn't really affect me the way it was written as an engineer which is why I didn't mind signing it but was just saying it does exist.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic