Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about the sections of Johnstone.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Question about the sections of Johnstone.

Apr 5, 2020, 5:56 PM

I never lived in Johnstone, so I never really knew it like the back of my hand, like a lot of folks. I could maneuver around and find the rooms I needed to, of course. But I certainly can't remember any of that from the 70s. And I've been intrigued by these old photos. And I'm bored. LOL. Do I have the sections labelled correctly? And how did they name those little sections that connect one to another, like between F and E?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: Question about the sections of Johnstone.

Apr 5, 2020, 6:19 PM

The bridge from F to E was definitely section F. I lived there for a year. The one between D and E was likely part of section E.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 5, 2020, 6:22 PM

the F? is definitely F. lived in that area... F301.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Haha I too was in F301***

Apr 6, 2020, 2:25 AM

But showered in E because it was closer

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Apr 6, 2020, 6:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Question about the sections of Johnstone. ]

Wasn't it called F annex, I was in it in 66/67 year?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 6, 2020, 6:11 PM

Nevermind, looking at it wrong, F annex came out in front of the PO

Yes, I was in B 518 four years. B5 was actually ground

Apr 5, 2020, 6:29 PM

level. My room faced the dining hall across the plaza.

The cool thing was you could walk through Johnstone from F section to B section without leaving the dorm. B sections lowest level was 5: and the highest was 9. E section went to level 6, and I think F only went level 5, with level 1 the lowest.

The closets in those Johnstone rooms had a place for a rifle as Johnstone was built when Clemson was still a military school.

Re: Yes, I was in B 518 four years. B5 was actually ground

Apr 5, 2020, 7:23 PM

I lived on B5 in 87-88. Interesting place. We were a registered student organization and got block seating like the frats...even had t-shirts

If you google the 1979 TAPS look under Special

Apr 5, 2020, 10:05 PM

Interest and you will see the B-5 picture. If you are familiar with the Pershing Rifles at Clemson they used to bring a frog to the dining hall and they would light a cigar and it would drift smoke onto the other tables, including the B-5 table. One Friday after Happy Hour we stole the frog off of their table.

The 1979 B-5 picture was taken in the snow at the Calhoun Tombstone. The frog was placed on top of the Calhoun Tombstone for the picture. When the Taps staff saw the frog we were told we were going to be expelled from school if we didn’t return it. We did, but the tradition that came after that was the Pershing Rifle guys started handcuffing the frog to one of their new pledge guys in Harcombe..

I was the President of B-5 in 1980-1981, and was also social chairman as I worked at Bollwinkles, which was a funk/ beach dance bar by the KFC, later became Crazy Zacks.

Ah, the good ole days,

Used to love Bollwinkles. 35 cent can night. Ah the

Apr 5, 2020, 10:20 PM

memories (and the forgots!).

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, Wednesday night $1 cover and 10 cent draft beer.

Apr 5, 2020, 10:36 PM

Thursday night was $1 cover and 35 cent long neck bottles. I was a manager and a DJ. I worked there 3 years.

We would have 1000 people a night from Wednesday-Saturday.

Re: Civil engr you have Tmail***

Apr 7, 2020, 12:59 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You have T mail.***

Apr 8, 2020, 6:57 PM

I’m RP!***

Apr 8, 2020, 7:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Civil engr you have Tmail*** ]

I found that pic, page 402 of 1979 Taps. Awesome. LOL***

Apr 6, 2020, 12:10 AM [ in reply to If you google the 1979 TAPS look under Special ]

Re: If you google the 1979 TAPS look under Special

Apr 6, 2020, 2:21 AM [ in reply to If you google the 1979 TAPS look under Special ]

https://www.tigernet.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/233306/584DF0C7-0F50-4F55-8B69-116D9279DF67.jpeg

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: If you google the 1979 TAPS look under Special

Apr 6, 2020, 9:10 AM [ in reply to If you google the 1979 TAPS look under Special ]

What was it about B5? In 88 I came back after a weekend away to find the Sig Eps bathtub in the showers. Apparently the frat used the tub as some kind of tubathon fundraiser. Guys on the hall waited for an opportunity and stole the tub. Strange times.

I’ll have to see if I can find that old B5 shirt.

An Abundance of Roaches

Apr 5, 2020, 6:36 PM

Really big roaches. American cockroaches, sometimes called water bugs, not the wimpy German type. You could hear them scratching when they got stuck trying to get under the door.

Re: An Abundance of Roaches

Apr 5, 2020, 10:20 PM

In D-2 the roaches wore sun glasses and straw hats. A few smoked Cuban cigars.

They were robust!!!!

I lived in E. The F? was definitely F. As far as the other

Apr 5, 2020, 6:49 PM

sections I really don't have any useful memory of them. Typically entered and exited via one end or the other of the long E section hallway. Like you I could get where I was going when needed though! I am looking at your photo and wondering about F-Annex. I am trying to remember if there was a "newer" section of F that ran parallel to Norris or not. Have to look at more photos!

Here's a later photo that shows F-annex and part of A-annex.

Apr 5, 2020, 7:04 PM

They were both built a little later and a little different construction. Memory starting to come back a little the more I stir it up!

Yes, that is what is missing... F Annex. That was confusing

Apr 5, 2020, 8:50 PM

to me as well. I was in Norris 202 my freshman year, the window in red. I spent 4 more years in Norris but across the hall in 201, facing the Quad. Do you have a pic with F Annex?

Doh! Here it is. Intended to attach the first time.

Apr 5, 2020, 8:56 PM
F-Annex.jpg(198.0 K)

YES! That is what I remember. If we looked out our window

Apr 5, 2020, 9:19 PM

we saw Harcombe and a section of Johnstone, F Annex. Same view from the bathroom windows, they were just to the left of room 202 in red. In the center of Norris.

Yes! I lived in F-annex 3 years

Apr 5, 2020, 7:23 PM [ in reply to I lived in E. The F? was definitely F. As far as the other ]

F-343

Apr 5, 2020, 7:02 PM

The B you have to the left is not correct; that was above the loggia and had offices. The placement office was up there, not sure what else. I think the radio station was up there too.

I lived on B-6

Apr 5, 2020, 7:08 PM

I was on B 7. I seem to remember someone tossing a burning mattress out the window somewhere in the B section.

so I have B section wrong? just the leftmost, so to speak?***

Apr 5, 2020, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Question about the sections of Johnstone. ]

Re: so I have B section wrong? just the leftmost, so to speak?***

Apr 6, 2020, 1:09 PM
johnstone B.JPG(108.4 K)

Correct. The B you have to the right is correct. The leftmost one is not B-section.

Apr 5, 2020, 7:04 PM

F annex is not in the picture. It ran perpendicular to the end of F and parallel to the frat quad.
In 81-83, I lived 1 year on D-4, 1 year on F-5, and 1 year on F-5 Annex.

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Apr 5, 2020, 7:13 PM

Here is a picture of a Johnstone Closet

Apr 5, 2020, 7:19 PM

With space for a couple of M1 Garlands!
Go Tigers!

Russ Cassell, the former WFBC radio morning show host,

Apr 5, 2020, 7:24 PM

said a couple of times that while he was a student at
Clemson, he stayed in Johnstone E2 and they called it
the E2 Zoo. Might that have been the section between
D and E?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We were E2 (also called it Zoo) from 82-84

Apr 5, 2020, 8:15 PM

E2 was the lowest level of E which meant we were about 4 feet below grade if looking toward Harcombe (lived on that side of the hall our first year with a lovely view of the retaining wall below grade) and if looking toward the P Plant we were about 4 feet above grade looking out on the driveway and parking area. Good times.

Where you have D or E it is E lived there ‘84-‘87***

Apr 5, 2020, 7:24 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 5, 2020, 7:35 PM

E is correct, as with F is to the left of that. Building A is where I spent most o fmy time, cute little honey named Jessica. However the hottest girls lived in the shoe boxes.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 5, 2020, 8:16 PM

I lived in Section F, room 413 for two years. It was the largest room in Old Johnstone because it was the Battalion Commanders room, as initially designed. F section started at a door off E section which is also the overpass. used to see guys sneaking out girls from F-1 early some mornings. for the good old days.

Apr 6, 2020, 8:08 AM

I was in E5 right next to the bathrooms, I remember the gun racks had been painted over so many times in the cubby closets that I could set my 4 foot bong completely upright and not worry about it tipping over.

I was also the guy that stole the fire extinguisher from f5 in 1993 and sprayed the entire floor and walls with foam. I managed to backtrack my footprints to the RA's door.

Apr 6, 2020, 1:03 PM

Any truth to the rumor that Johnstone Hall was the biggest single college dorm in America?

I bailed on Johnstone after 1 year and took pot luck on a roommate to give me the best chance at an air conditioned room. I ended up in Cope and my new pot luck roommate was eventually best man at my wedding.

Getting out of Johnstone was a good decision for me. I had a good roommate, had friends that lived on my hall and on the floor above that I still know, but Johnstone E-3 was a terrible dorm, even by 1968 standards. I suspect Johnstone was the cheapest dorm ever built to house 2000 guys, or whatever the capacity was.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 6, 2020, 6:04 PM

I find that doubtful when looking at the enrollment figures of other state colleges.

Fun Fact though, Johnstone was the last structure of its kind still standing before it got demolished. it was a lift in place slab system the military used to quickly and cheaply erect temporary offices and dormitories. They were never intended to last until the late 90s.

They were still around until the mid 2000s

Apr 7, 2020, 3:34 AM

Not 100% sure but probably until the mid 2010s

Apr 5, 2020, 8:50 PM

I've always said I served two years time in the Cans. C6 and D2.

Apr 5, 2020, 9:19 PM

I lived in E top floor (6?). I remember that the window was open in the winter so that it wouldn't be too hot. Walking up the stairs was a b!tch too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks for all the comments, a little trip down down memory lane.

Apr 6, 2020, 12:36 AM

Re: thanks for all the comments, a little trip down down memory lane.

Apr 6, 2020, 7:31 AM

B6 for me.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 6, 2020, 8:20 AM

Picture is missing the annexes for A and F.

I was on F4 for 2 years, got to watch the new deck go up at DV . . . . . more like heard it go up, day and night, night and day, the pounding . . . . . the pounding . . . . . the pounding

Your "D or E" = E. "Your F?" = E Annex

Apr 6, 2020, 9:36 AM

F Annex is not pictured. The photo must predate its construction.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Your "D or E" = E. "Your F?" = E Annex

Apr 6, 2020, 1:09 PM

Nope.... F? = F at least when I lived on that very hall from '84-'86. We used to get out on the ledge and throw ice cream cones (fresh from Harcombe Dining Hall) at the ticket witch's 3 wheel scooter as she drove it around in that little cul-de-sac

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Your "D or E" = E. "Your F?" = E Annex

Apr 6, 2020, 4:27 PM

Throwing ice cream cones at the parking ticket lady? Too kind , as we threw fish heads on her after a successful trout fishing trip to the chattooga river.

Johnstone Penthouse

Apr 6, 2020, 12:29 PM

B924 for two years 85-86 and 86-87.

Apr 6, 2020, 6:11 PM

F107

Lived on campus 3.5 years, but never in Johnstone

Apr 7, 2020, 7:24 AM

Still had many great times there, and even spent a few nights in A

Apr 7, 2020, 9:02 AM

Older pic...probably pre 1966...new A and new F are not built yet...they would be added off the ends of the existing 'cans'.. F had the apartment for the resident 'graduate' advisor downstairs near the study hall on the side of the hill between the 'cans' and the frat quad..dorm daddy in F section...new and old from 70-72! Down the stairs are right into HC for chow...what a deal..close to the post office and book store...also had the large room that other poster talked about...kinda on a corner with an extra stairwell going down into the second level of the quad....great room...only disadvantage is because of the underpass and no connection except on the two levels above you were the furtherest distance from the bathrooms...no big deal..started off in D as a new student then to new A for one semester then dorm daddy job in F and never left! Clemson was special back then...at the first everyone suited up for drill once a week and even the #### hippies had to hide their ponytail...don't even recognize the place today...bet it smells better!

the D or E corner in question was E.

Apr 7, 2020, 11:45 AM

Lived on E3 for 3 years. Then the roommate and I retired to Cope our Senior year. Good times.

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic