Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about a permit for a shed/building.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Question about a permit for a shed/building.

May 28, 2015, 8:20 AM

Got a question. I'm gonna build a 16x16 two story shed or building, whatever you wanna call it. I live in Greenville county and I'm not gonna run power to it, at least not for now. Should I get a permit before I build it? Cause if I do is an inspector gonna show up and nit-pick it and cause a lot of headache? Or if they even care and won't even show up? A buddy of mine built a 20x20 two story building and didn't get a permit and he hasn't had any issues with Greenville county. Cause I can go buy a building and have it delivered to my house and they set it up and no permits are required. Just curious if anybody had built something like that and what route you guys took. Thanks for any help.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Easier to say "I'm sorry!" than to get permission.

May 28, 2015, 8:29 AM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you're pouring a foundation, I'd be shocked if you didn't

May 28, 2015, 8:31 AM

need to get a permit.

null

Re: If you're pouring a foundation, I'd be shocked if you didn't

May 28, 2015, 8:37 AM

PERMIT

permit is needed, i think he knows this, but asked if he "should" or...

the tax assessor will eventually catch up to him.

i wouldn't rush to give the government any more of my money to waste, but maybe that's just me?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question about a permit for a shed/building.

May 28, 2015, 8:32 AM

A permit is required anytime a new building is constructed, structural changes made within a building or additions to existing structures. Also, permits are required for electrical upgrades, meter changes, etc. Plumbing permits are required for new plumbing fixtures or for relocating plumbing fixtures. Mechanical permits are required for new equipment, change-outs, running a gas line, etc. For more information, contact the Planning and Code Compliance Division at 864-467-7060.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I am in process of building a 10x12 in my yard

May 28, 2015, 8:44 AM

Which did not require a permit. I have a greenville address but I think I fall under mauldin city codes. I dunno.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

May 28, 2015, 9:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Question about a permit for a shed/building. ]

Yea I pretty much read all that last week and knew it was for tax purposes mainly. I just didn't know how lenient they were if I went and got a permit. Cause that obviously opened up the door to say, hey come on my property and I hope your not a jerk and make my life miserable if you want to. I'm generally the ask for forgiveness kind and play dumb when you get caught, it usually works out. Unless of course Greenville county reads T-net. My neighbors are pretty cool and wouldn't call in but thats not to say somebody riding by wouldnt. And no we don't have an HOA thank goodness. Somebody did tell me they were more lenient cause I'm not a contractor and don't build stuff like that for a living.

you aren't hiding illegals or contriband in there are you?

May 28, 2015, 9:09 AM

;)

they might ask for what purpose... then you can open up a real can of worms.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if hiding illegals, you are entitled to a government stipend

May 28, 2015, 9:28 AM

and a personalized thank you note from the Commander in Chief. Just make sure they vote.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

maybe MC92 will be offering the engrish tutoring?

May 28, 2015, 9:32 AM

or perhaps he could get it zoned as a skewl for the under privileged, the oppressed and/or socially downtrodden?

then greenville county can raise e'ryones taxes providing equal something under the law?

May 28, 2015, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Question about a permit for a shed/building. ]
image.jpg(121.0 K)

Anyway, I'm gonna build this. The same thing they sell at Home Depot. Upstairs is gonna be my mancave. Gonna hang my Clemson stuff, deer heads and whatever manly stuff I can round up. Gonna be pretty sweet. Down stairs is gonna be my shop, where I can make beef jerky, knives, weld stuff (when I get a welder), hang deer, give tattoos, grow beards, all things tough and manly of course.

the biggest thing you should research is what are Greenville

May 28, 2015, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Question about a permit for a shed/building. ]

county's sideyard and rear yard setbacks.

I believe in asking forgiveness over permission myself.

Another point to worry about is if you have any neighborhood covenants. In my neighborhood I have to get architectural approval from the HOA before I can build anything, all besides the stupid county and town governments.

They also want to be sure....

May 28, 2015, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Question about a permit for a shed/building. ]

that whatever you are building is constructed properly so if you ever sell the home, the new owner doesn't unknowingly inherits another persons ****** construction project that was not built to code.

I occasionally flip houses and you would be absolutely amazed to see some of the unsafe and illegal things wouldbe do-it-yourselfers have done to their own homes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's true, but it doesn't seem the spirit of his proposal.

May 28, 2015, 9:29 AM

dood wants to throw wild football parties decorated with clemson regalia, hookers & blow... i'm sure we'll all be invited.

"state farm" will want to know as well.

Sounds like he's gonna need a stage and a firemans pole too***

May 28, 2015, 9:51 AM

haha, now you're cookin'...***

May 28, 2015, 9:52 AM

Re: that's true, but it doesn't seem the spirit of his proposal.

May 28, 2015, 9:52 AM [ in reply to that's true, but it doesn't seem the spirit of his proposal. ]

Well DSP, they say you are the one to contact on here about all that illegal stuff, so I guess when you have time you need to come by and give me some pointers and help. Just in case I lose my job and need a way of supporting my family of course. Haha

now, now... i might know people that know people they cood

May 28, 2015, 9:54 AM

call about this sort of thang that might owe me a favor.

this i wood do for you.

A plumbing permit is required even to change fixtures?

May 28, 2015, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Question about a permit for a shed/building. ]

Is that really true? You telling me everytime I go to Lowes and buy a new kitchen sink or bathroom sink faucet, I am supposed to go to the government and apply for permission (permit) to change my fixtures out? That's ludicrous if true and shows we live in a nanny state.

That does not apply to ordinary minor repairs....

May 28, 2015, 9:58 AM

to a plumbing systems which means repair, replacement, or maintenance of existing accessible fixtures, parts, and appliances.

It is mainly referring to replacing underground piping, altering piping inside a wall, ceiling, or beneath a floor, and for plumbing in all new installations.

plus... for plumbing. . if you had a leak or property

May 28, 2015, 10:12 AM

Damage, your assurance company may tell you to go pound sand if it was from non permitted additions.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Yes...even special form HO policies exclude damage ....

May 28, 2015, 10:20 AM

resulting from bad repair or workmanship, faulty construction materials, and/or defective maintenance or construction required to bring your house up to code.

marlborocountycoot = tigerfanjack = alltimeClemson

May 28, 2015, 12:36 PM [ in reply to A plumbing permit is required even to change fixtures? ]

running power will require a permit. but you can

May 28, 2015, 8:33 AM

do this when you actually run power. Greenville county may also have rules on putting the shed x feet wIthin your property boundaries. You may want to call and see what they are.

I assume you have no hoa to worry about.

You can always do whatever you want and hope no one notices or cares.

May 28, 2015, 8:37 AM

The main thing they want is it to be on the books so they can increase your property taxes. So that's pretty much what the permit is for.

^^^ much of this.***

May 28, 2015, 8:38 AM

May 28, 2015, 8:40 AM

The county government will gladly let you buy a permit and inspect your property. No one I know has ever needed/obtained one for a shed. Garage or addition, yes.

May 28, 2015, 9:13 AM

In Beaufort Cty, they require you to get a permit to sneeze, however if the shed is built on skids, so it is movable, even if it never moves, no permit, setback requirements, etc are required!! Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2015, 9:23 AM

I was once a Certified Code Official. So, permit or no permit, I would try to make sure it is built to the proper codes. First, are the life safety issues. Second, is the fact that if or when they discover the building, and you did not build it to code, they WILL make you tear out whatever is built incorrectly. If it were me, I would get it permitted and insist on regular inspections. Then you can quit worrying about it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2015, 9:31 AM

Just curious, what are the consequences of not responding/not complying with their demands to start tearing stuff out? I have a friend who has a shop that encloses about 1/4 of the first level carport that he put in himself and it's only a matter of time before it is discovered. It runs off the main breaker and the wiring would definitely raise some red flags.

Is there a way to eat the penalties? Or are you looking at the city never leaving you alone until the issue is fixed?

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

May 28, 2015, 9:54 AM

I don't live in your county but had a similiar situation. I wanted to add a kitchen on to my shop so I talked with a county employee. He told me that I needed to make sure the kitchen was attached to my shop or it would added as another outbuilding on my taxes. If it is attached, no additional outbulding applies. Also, I was told that a toilet and sink in the bathroom was fine but if I added a shower or tub, they would have to count that as another house on my county taxes. Also, if you build your own septic system and not use a septic tank contractor, it could affect your re-sale value. Sooner or later, the county codes people will catch up to you and you will have to answer some difficult questions that may have a fine attached. Permits are not that expensive. I would not risk it.

Can you build it without it falling?

May 28, 2015, 10:28 AM

Build it but don't #### your neighbors off with late night or early hour construction noise. G'ville has no mechanism to know anything that isn't reported to them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can you build it without it falling?

May 28, 2015, 10:43 AM

I hope it don't fall. That wouldn't be cool. I may call up there and ask a few questions. But when they ask for my address my phone is gonna get real fuzzy and I'll lose reception and have to hang up, I mean lose service all of a sudden. Who knows. Either way it's gonna get built here in the next month or so. Thanks everybody for the replies, been real helpful.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic