Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about Trevor's performance
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,607

Question about Trevor's performance

Sep 16, 2019, 4:36 PM

Heard a talking head say "it's perfectly reasonable to expect Trevor not to be as good in the first three games as he was towards the end of the season last year."

Here's my question: Why!?

Better O Line, more experience, and Frisbee-catching dogs for receivers.

Jalen, Tua, Fromm. They seemed to have picked up where they left off... if not better. Why is it ACCEPTABLE for Trevor to regress in the front half of the season?

I'm not commenting here.. just asking for your thoughts.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Trevor is an amazing QB

Sep 16, 2019, 4:39 PM

But he was playing near perfect football at the end of last year.

At some point regression to the mean happens, and great players look mortal again.

In my estimation it's how those ebbs and flows are handled that are the hallmark of a great player and a great team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question about Trevor's performance

Sep 16, 2019, 4:50 PM

52-14, 24-10, 41-6, baby. The only numbers that matter.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2019, 4:55 PM

with all due respect, those are team numbers.... talking about his individual performance.

Don’t fret, TL will be fine***

Sep 16, 2019, 4:53 PM

Re: Don’t fret, TL will be fine***

Sep 16, 2019, 4:54 PM

I agree... just wondering why the talking heads feel he is "expected" to regress."

Sep 16, 2019, 4:55 PM

Jalen and Tua play in an offensive scheme dedicated to deep throws in space, Clemson is more of a balanced attack and win a game of chess. Trevor is taking chances this year that he wouldn't have last year because he knows he's the guy this year, look at him out there he's loose and having fun and pushing chances to get his playmakers a shot at catching the ball and making a play but they've missed on a few so far. Justyn Ross was wide open down the middle and Syracuse smartly tripped him up or that would've been another TD to the stat sheet, he missed a tight throw to Lay late in the game, Cornell gave up on 1 week one. TL is doing just fine there's a lot of things that go into making a QB look good, also to be fair he has more yards and TDs overall that DW4 ever did through 3 games or KB2 or Clemson at all last year through 3 games.

Sep 16, 2019, 4:58 PM

Check his ints compared to watsons 13 one year and 17 the other

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2019, 5:01 PM

the play calling, under throws, and lack of execution by the receivers are all factors in his struggles. The only passes he seems to throw now are 50/50 balls and screens so its extremely predictable. Everyone knows there is going to be a screen pass first down, run through the middle on second down, and most likely another pass if the running back doesn't get 8 yards

When did we get to a place where almost 450 yards and 4 TD's

Sep 16, 2019, 5:02 PM

gets you a bad review at Clemson? I dont' care if you're playing Presbyterian. I believe thats acceptable. Anyone who is seriously talking about being critical of our QB is either just looking for attention or is severely misinformed about how stats typically play out.

I assume most of this is from anonymous posters from other team fanbases so i usually thumbs down and move on but i don't know...maybe we have some ultra spoiled fans who need a reality check. 450 yards and 4 TD's is very good just so you know. He had about 375 and 3 Td's against bama in the title game. Not really sure what you're looking for. I guess the picks is what has you rattled but why? Deshaun threw 13 and 17 his final two seasons.

I say air it out and take chances. Learn from it all early in the season. Would you rather he get tight and take a million sacks? No air it out! WE got plenty of buffer, have fun. And let the haters talk. Who cares. There time will come when they gotta answer to their BS. But Clemson fans...please just be rational.

Did you read my post el Tig?

Sep 16, 2019, 7:56 PM

I’m not questioning his performance. I’m wondering why people are saying that his decline over this time last year is acceptable? The numbers are the numbers. No one can question that. But why is ESPN, and those on the ACC network giving those numbers a pass? I agree we need not worry. And the talking points are actually a nod to our greatness. Just find it interesting.

Re: Did you read my post el Tig?

Sep 16, 2019, 8:39 PM

Speaking for me not being concerned, number 1 is he is still Trevor Lawrence. He hasn't been injured so he still has the same capabilities. As far as just having above average stats instead of other worldly, timing will improve as the season goes on. There is probably some experimentation by TL and the coaching staff to see what works that won't occur when it counts. And the biggest reason that I don't worry is some people just focus better in big situations. Last year, it seemed like the bigger the game, the better Trevor played. I fully expect that this year as well.

Sep 16, 2019, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Did you read my post el Tig? ]

First post here, but my best guess is because teams have film on him now, he's never really faced adversity sitting at 18-0, and he's still just a sophmore. That's just my assessment. I expected a small drop back because how hard it is with such high expectations. Watson dealt with it too in 2016. I remember him apologizing to his fans that he wasn't really have any fun. It wasn't until later on he started rolling and nearly won the Heisman.

Sep 16, 2019, 8:48 PM

First post here, but my best guess is because teams have film on him now, he's never really faced adversity sitting at 18-0, and he's still just a sophmore. That's just my assessment. I expected a small drop back because how hard it is with such high expectations. Watson dealt with it too in 2016. I remember him apologizing to his fans that he wasn't really have any fun. It wasn't until later on he started rolling and nearly won the Heisman.

Let me also add that people think he hasn't been very good...well, 600 yards in a supposed bad performance as I've seen some fans say, then my goodness if he gets rolling, just imagine what this offense is gonna be like then. Nearly impossible to slow down. He will get it going. It's just a matter of settling down, taking what defense gives him, and seeing the open field. He's also been doing roll outs too and I don't feel he's yet 100% comfortable in doing so consistently yet but he will. His role feels different than last year imo.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,607
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic