Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about Steve Smith payment.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Question about Steve Smith payment.

Apr 26, 2019, 1:25 PM

Where would the money come from he wanted to use for payment?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question about Steve Smith payment.

Apr 26, 2019, 1:31 PM

Has any of that been proven yet ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the internet has convicted him already***

Apr 26, 2019, 1:34 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From the Fibbies, although he for sure didn't know THAT!

Apr 26, 2019, 1:33 PM

n

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Judge Keller's secret stash?

Apr 26, 2019, 1:33 PM

Probably some basketball crazy booster. You know it's not coming directly from universities when BKB croots get paid.

Apr 26, 2019, 1:35 PM

I guess I could chip in some.

Apr 26, 2019, 1:40 PM

gofundme.org

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2019, 1:44 PM

The way the scam sounds, the money would have been paid to Steve Smith for sending Zion Williamson to Christian Dawkins or perhaps Marty Blazer as agents once he turned pro (as a fee or commission). Meanwhile, I assume Smith would have marked up his commission so that he had some extra funds to pass along to a member of Zion's family to secure the agreement. It would have been likely that enough money would be paid to also secure Zion's attendance at Clemson - which would also allow Smith to keep other agents away from him and keep him under his thumb to make sure Zion followed through with the deal.

This is similar to the Nike deal, where the schools and boosters are mostly left out of the money trail and it becomes a game of Nike and coaches scratching each other's backs.

Another game Smith could have considered playing with all of the visits to Williamson's residence is getting a booster to give him some cash to get Zion to Clemson. Smith could have taken a cut of that as well and would have made a big name for himself as a recruiter.

I haven't heard of any Clemson boosters handing out cash for a long time, so I doubt there was anything like the second example involved.

Newspring Church.

Apr 26, 2019, 1:55 PM

Or do they only support football?

Re: Newspring Church.

Apr 26, 2019, 3:00 PM

Really not funny.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awwwww...so sorry about that ??***

Apr 26, 2019, 3:20 PM

Re: Newspring Church.

Apr 26, 2019, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Newspring Church. ]

My understanding--could be wrong, of course--was that the Newspring Church rumor was started as a disrespectful joke about Dabo and the perceived hypocrisy of overt people of faith.

Then, of course, the rumor took on a life of its own because rumors, hypocrisy and overt expressions of faith don't need evidence to annoy people who disagree.

But just to put some silliness to rest(??), ALL of the Newspring Church locations in SC are ONE legal and fiduciary entity. Each location does NOT have its own separate financial authorization above a small amount required for basic maintenance and daily operations. So if Newspring were in sympathy and cahoots with Dabo, it would have to be through the home office in Anderson, not the local assembly in Clemson.

While that doesn't necessarily put the issue to rest, I'm sure that there are some serious Gamecock fans with access to the overall financial data in the Anderson leadership of the Church.

If a college can be 'guilty' of taking inappropriate but untraceable payouts simply by its staff and students' association with a religious organization, let's not forget that there are 2 Newspring campuses in Greater Columbia, plus Aiken and at least several more in towns where USC has multiple campuses. Is that a coincidence?

Hmmm?

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic