Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about Directv dish out of alighment
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,081

Question about Directv dish out of alighment

May 10, 2018, 9:27 PM

I have directv and dish is slightly out of alignment. A few of my channels are pixelated. Directv wants $100 to send someone out to realign. I'm too much of a tightwad. What is the best way to realign? It's on my roof but I can get up there easy to point it. I have an app on my phone but the app ask which satellite I am using.
Which satellite for Charleston SC?
Dish website says for my zip code:

Elevation: 45.7
Azimuth: 221.0

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question about Directv dish out of alighment

May 10, 2018, 9:32 PM

Have you tweaked your twilighterator ? Could be the problem .

HtHhelps

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

i set my first one up out of the box by myself with a compas

May 10, 2018, 9:41 PM

i would place a TV near the window where you can see it, use the compass on my iphone to get close to the azimuth and elevation and then fine tune it by trial/error, best $100 you will ever save

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2018, 10:32 PM

I had a similar problem last year after the tropical storm. I tried to adjust the satellite dish and found the task to be much more difficult than in the old days when there were only 2 or 3 satellites in the sky. I finally gave up and called DirecTV. When I told the tech support person that it was caused by the tropical storm, they indicated there would be no service fee. I presume the natural cause was the reason fee was waived.
A technician was sent out and struggled with it for quite a while and finally improved it. Within a couple of days, it was "searching for satellite 1" again. Idiot boy (me) then got down in the equipment cabinet and fiddled with the coax cables on the main DVR box from satellite dish. This solved the problem and has not recurred. Good Luck...

are you still under a contract with them if not

May 10, 2018, 11:14 PM

tell them other providers will put equipment in that works

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TC, here are the steps I use

May 11, 2018, 8:50 AM

On the DirecTV box, click
Menu
Settings & Help
Settings
Sat & Antenna
View Signal Strength
It will prompt you to hit “-“ three times, do it, then choose
Signal Meters
At this time, you should hear an audible beeping. As your strength gets stronger, the beeping is more frequent. If you have HD, you will be aiming at 7 satellites. If you have regular TV, you will only be aiming at one satellite. I have HD so I go through each one and find the weakest signal and adjust the dish to get the strongest signal as possible. Once you adjust the weakest one, the others should be fine.

Turn the volume up on your tv and get your wife or someone to let you know about the signal as you are adjusting the dish.

Hope that helps!

Message was edited by: WS Tiger®

That's exactly how the DTV techs do it.

May 12, 2018, 1:26 PM

They have portable meters to carry outside to save them involving anyone else or having to do a bunch of legwork.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

when DirecTV installed my new HD system 5 years ago

May 12, 2018, 2:05 PM

I asked the tech for an extra dish. He asked why. I looked at my camper and told him my DirecTV box goes with me when I camp. He said that I would not be able to get an HD signal on a portable stand because it is too sensitive. I told him “ don’t tell me I can’t, tell me my odds are low, but don’t tell me I can’t.” So he gives me an extra dish.

I built my own stand taking extra care to make sure the base is perfectly plumb with the antenna mast. At home, I leveled the base and adjusted the dish to where all of the satellites had at least 99% signal. Now, when I use my portable stand, all I have to do is level the base and adjust the azimuth and I am good to go.

We camp about ten times a year and I have never had an issue getting a signal. I see the HD dishes all the time when we camp, so it is not as sensitive as that tech made it out to be.

Do most of those steps to choose the satellite and transpond

May 12, 2018, 8:22 PM [ in reply to TC, here are the steps I use ]

but you will save a lot of time and grief by picking up a portable meter. Amazon sells several for 10-15 bucks. I use a Monster branded one.

May 11, 2018, 9:04 AM

Call DTV and tell them you want to add the protection plan for like 3 dollars a month.
Then you don’t have to pay the 100 dollar service fee.

They’ll fix it for free

May 12, 2018, 9:16 PM

If you complain and state how long of a customer you are. Worked for me when I had DirecTV. Luckily I have since disconnected any kind of cable or satellite service.

yeah, i went directvnow.

May 13, 2018, 8:53 AM

45 bucks a month gets me basically the 60 channels I want plus HBO (which gets me HBO Go, which is how I mostly watch HBO anyway). No long term commitment. No equipment. I watch t.v. about 3 hours a day and manage to burn roughly 250 gbs a month between t.v. and broadband internet. So internet and t.v. together is about 100 bucks a month. that's not bad.

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,081
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic