Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question: 1981 vs 2016
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Question: 1981 vs 2016

Jan 12, 2017, 7:57 AM

For those who were around when we won the 1981 national title, did you feel more excited in 1981 (being the first national title), do you feel equally excited, or do you feel more excited about our 2016 national title (with all the hype, this being a playoff and more media coverage)?

I'm just curious how it felt in 1981.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at the game in 1981 as a Clemson senior

Jan 12, 2017, 8:03 AM

either my 2nd or 3rd senior year. ;) Went with my parents, adult brother and sister and their families and my girlfriend who is now my wife. I was not able to make it to Tampa but watched with my wife and one of two daughters who are now alum. I would have to say I was much more emotional for this one. Not sure why.

Re: Question: 1981 vs 2016

Jan 12, 2017, 8:06 AM

I was 10 years old in 1981. This one was more exciting to me because I really appreciate what it means to be there more than I did at that young age. Don't get me wrong, I was happy, but I really didn't realize how hard it is to do. Only thing that makes 1981 close to it is because we weren't supposed to be there. The regular season was more thrilling because you watched the slow march from unranked up the polls to #1. I remember walking into my 5th grade class every morning and asking a guy where we were ranked because I didn't get to find out on Sunday night. That guy became a trainer for the team when we were in college. This season we were expected to be there so the regular season didn't have quite the buzz that it did 35 years ago. But overall, at the end, I'm more happy than I was in 1981.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was 19 in 1981 when we won the title.

Jan 12, 2017, 8:06 AM

I was at the game with my Dad, who played for the Tigers '46-'49. It was incredible in '81 because it was the first one.

This year was incredible too because it had been a while and winning it renewed those feelings of joy.

I would say for me that the two titles are equally exciting - creating unreal feelings of joy and pride in the school we love.

Experiencing the game as a ninteen year old Clemson freshman

Jan 12, 2017, 8:08 AM

(I was in Miami for that one.) and this year as a 54 year old was a totally different experience. I moved to South Carolina as a fifteen year old and fell in love with Clemson soon after. Growing up in West Virginia, I had no history of Clemson in my memory, so when we won in 1981, I thought that was the way things were supposed to be. Now after waiting 35 years, I can say my appreciation for this one is much deeper.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am a 1976 Clemson grad and took a train to the 1981.....

Jan 12, 2017, 8:59 AM

game from Asheville where I had just taken a new job. We had 35 yard line seats and witnessed history but I soon realized that what I thought would be a quick return to another NC game, became a fleeting thought as Clemson sank into 20 years of mediocrity after Danny Ford was fired. The victory over Nebraska was a highlight of my early years (I was 27 at the time) but being that I was raised in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. and didn't know Clemson even existed until my senior year of high school, I had not followed Clemson football for my entire life like most Clemson fans. Its been 35 long years since the 1982 NC game and this championship run (the past 2 years), means a lot more to me than the first one, because I have waited 35 years, attending hundreds of games, writing checks to Iptay, sending two sons to Clemson (one son and family live in Clemson), before Dabo re built the program.

About half of my family (we have 4 children and 8 grand children) were there to celebrate with me in Tampa and I told them we better win this one because if we have to wait another 35 years, I will be 97, probably living in a nursing home, wearing Depends and slobbering all over myself, not knowing if I am watching Clemson football on the TV or the Disney Channel!

It's pure elation both times

1981 was the first time. We came out of nowhere. From 6-5 to 12-0. No Clemson fan went in to that year with a National Championship even a blip on the radar. The team did though. I can't remember the strength coaches name then, but during off season workouts a sign hung in Jervey that said 12-0, Orange Bowl win over Nebraska, National Champions. That team was tough as nails and just willed themselves to wins outslugging people. Being the first time, it's something you never forget and always cherish mightily. I was 17 then.

At 52 now, I think this one was even more special. The older you get the more you realize how rare true greatness is. This teams will was also invincible. They displayed a toughness as well that comes from your inner most parts. That it ended as it did makes it as much a fairy tale scenario as 1981. Last second, win or lose. Speechless.

I'll never forget either night. I can't get enough of it, and in the age we live in, so much more is available to relive it.

Hope I get to see it again

For me, it's a difficult comparison. I was only 13 in 1981 but I distinctly remember how no one gave us a shot. No one outside the state of South Carolina had a clue as to where Clemson was. Knocking off a cocky Nebraska team for our first championship was an absolute thrill. However, with all the subplots associated with this season and this game, obviously, this was truly special. Never before have I wanted to beat a team as badly as Alabama. To do it on that national stage was just the icing on the cake. Both games, both seasons, and both groups of players were equally exciting in my eyes.

Jan 12, 2017, 8:09 AM

I was there in the Orange Bowl for the first National Championship .. That was incredible... I was in Tampa but watched in the parking lot with thousands of other Tigers that weren't lucky enough to get tickets.. I had a great time on both trips... But for me, as I watched with my 22 year old son on TV,, When we made the winning TD, my son kept hugging me with tears and said, " We did it Dad " over and over.... A moment I will never forget.... There is truely something special in those hills, where the Tigers play... Home of the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS !!! GO TIGERS !!!

Jan 12, 2017, 9:34 AM

I was a Freshman in 81. Watching our guys do something that no CLEMSON team had ever done before was unquestionably special. I grew up in a family of Tarheels (my dad, my older sister, my 2 younger brothers). For me, I'll pick this one because I've had 35 years of waiting, hoping, loving and cheering. Wouldn't even bother to try to explain what I feel......but it's real........and it's great!!!!

Jan 12, 2017, 8:09 AM

My son, who graduated from Clemson last year, asked me that while we were celebrating in the stands after the game. I told him this was bigger and more exciting, but got to enjoy the 1981 game more because we lead it!! But The Drive was a thing of beauty!!! It was the dream ###### and they made it happen#!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

tough call. I was 14 in '81. 49 now.

Jan 12, 2017, 8:23 AM

Different eras, different dynamics. '81 put us on the map so I will say '81 was best, but really it's apples and oranges. I'm happier than a pig in slop about this one. I mean, really happy. Still in disbelief.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1981 was...

Jan 12, 2017, 8:34 AM

An unbelievable victory since many 'experts' did not give us a chance against mighty Nebraska. But...this one was special and sweeter because of the last drive (THE DRIVE) to beat the #1 team which happened to be Bama.
We thought Tigers would be involved with natty games more often after '81....I am confident that will happen now with Dabo as HC. GO TIGERS!

2016 easy

1981 was my junior year and don't get me wrong. It was a blast, we weren't supposed to be there, weren't supposed to win. We just had so many great athletes on that team, who according to many of them, just simply took over the game and outplayed the coaching. Nevertheless, I didn't really appreciate the significance of it then, thought we'd win a championship every other year. I can't remember if we even had a parade for the team back on campus.

The buildup to this championship has been incredible, 24/7 news coverage, year round recruiting, espn, logging onto TIGERNET 30 times a day. The stakes seem so much bigger now, the money ridiculous. Everywhere you go now, even before Monday night, people recognize the brand. I was in the BVI over Christmas, and even the local street vendors, were calling me, "Hey Clemson". I'm 55 and for God knows how long, after Renfrow's catch, I jumped up and down in those stands screaming like a little kid. I felt like a little kid. This one is perfect.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2016 took me back to 1981

Jan 12, 2017, 8:57 AM

I was only 11, but the pure emotion of Monday night was the same. As a 46 year old I appreciate it more now and I have been on cloud infinity since the wee hours of Jan. 10! Everything is so instantaneous now. I went to Dick's Sporting Goods in Florence right after DW took the knee and I wore the championship shirt the next day to the amazement of my co-workers. That was my moment since I was not in Tampa. I was up until 3:30 a.m. watching the postgame and reading social media posts. INCREDIBLE!

GO TIGERS!

equally excited. Both are GREAT!***

It's like asking me who's my favorite child.

Jan 12, 2017, 8:41 AM

I was 10 years old the first time we won it. I was excited because I studied and followed that team religiously. This year is equally as exciting.

Jan 12, 2017, 8:42 AM

I was at both games and am a Clemson alum. Hard to say. They are different times and different eras. In 1981 we were given little to no chance and not respected. Both very exciting. To me the 1981 means more because of the circumstances and coming from no where.

Jan 12, 2017, 8:45 AM

I graduated in 1981. Excited like it was Christmas morning before you open up the presents! Knew what you asked Santa for, but was not sure you would get it.

Going to Miami was great. Hot as he!! and very humid.

No body gave us a snow ball's chance in ##### against Nebraska. The Tigers proved them wrong!!! We had a very, very strong defense then, probably one of the top three in Clemson history. Orange Bowl stadium was a dump.

Kind of the same this year in Tampa. Excited like Christmas all over again. Knew what you asked Santa for, and pretty sure you would get it, although Santa's arrival came at the last second. Whew!!

Underdog to the Big Dog!. The Tigers proved them wrong again!!! This year cold and windy. We have a strong offense this year and a strong defense. RJS is first class.

Overall, the excitement was just as great this year as in 1981.

Go Tigers!!!

Jan 12, 2017, 8:49 AM

I think this one for two reasons, one it did not seem it would take so long to get another one and secondly the playoff takes away any doubt about which team is the best. Settled on the field and not by a reporter with a biased agenda.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who put the "L" in BrowneLL

I think this one is much more special.

Jan 12, 2017, 8:50 AM

I think 1981 was more of a perfect storm, and while we had success afterwards we'd just not built the foundation to handle and build on the success. Probation also followed. I believe it built unreasonable expectations that were not always reality based. Sometimes to achieve true success you need to fail first and have to get back up. Wouldn't give it back but it probably came too soon.

This one was much more special because of the loss last year and the foundation that has been built. I have no doubt that the coaches and players will continue to stay hungry and build on this. May not be next year, but we'll be back.

I also think that it's much more difficult to do now with scholarship limitations and parity in football. College football is much different and putting together a season like this is much more difficult and doesn't just happen but has to have the groundwork built in advance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

as different as two things could be

Jan 12, 2017, 8:52 AM

in 2016 we went into the season ranked #2 and last season runner-up
in 1981 we went in unranked with a coach on the hot seat for going 6-5 the previous year

2016 was the fireworks we were hoping for and maybe even expecting; 1981 was an earthquake out of nowhere.

I have to give the edge to 81.

Jan 12, 2017, 10:07 AM

Like others have said it put Clemson on the map.The Orange Bowl capped off 5 seasons(77-81) that saw Clemson go from a largely unknown school to the being the new star in college football.Nothing has been the same since.I can remember asking my brother after Clemson had beaten Ohio State in the 78 Gator Bowl (that's another bowl game that had a huge impact on Clemson Football-maybe as much as any game in Clemson history.If Clemson had lost to Ohio State then the road going forward may have been a lot different than the way it turned out) if he thought Clemson would ever win the National Title.I was 11 and he was 21.I remember him saying that he thought Clemson would win the title at least once in our lifetime.I feel very fortunate to have seen it happen twice.One thing that I think is that both games reinforce the other.The 82 game reminds you of what a great achievement the 17 game is and vice versa.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic