Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
QB and participation stats for your reading pleasure
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,305

QB and participation stats for your reading pleasure

Dec 26, 2019, 12:01 PM

I seems to me that our QB run game is considered a weakness compared to our opponents. I looked up the stats and I think Trevor's legs could be a deciding factor in this game.

Fields (before he "hurt" his knee") has rushed for 471 YD on 123 carries for a 3.8 average with 10 TD and 27 sacks.

Trevor has rushed for 407 YD on 77 carries for a 5.3 average with 7 TD and 12 sacks.

I realize the sacks count against the rushing yardage, but that's part of the equation.

JF has 40 TD against 1 INT and a 190.3 rating. Great.

Trevor has 34 TD against 8 INT and a 176.4 rating. Very Good.

But if you look at the game by game comparison, Trevor is at least as impressive as his TD/INT ratio and rating has improved while Fields has leveled off.

Fields had ratings over 200 for FAU, NW, Nebraska and Mich and a 283 against Rutgers. Add in powerhouse MD and Miami-OH and he has 29 of his 40 TD.

In his last six games, Trevor has 20 TD to 0 INT, an average rating of 222.3 and a 76% completion rate.

Also, Trevor leads in completion percentage while throwing 29 more passes (68.8% to 67.5%) and total yds (3,172 to 2,953)

This got me wondering about the amount of plays each has played, but i couldn't find tOSU stats.

As proof of what we already knew, these are Clemson's participation stats.

In 948 plays on Offense (less OL as most 1 and 2s had high rates)
Trevor - 74%
Tee - 50%
ETN - 49%
Ross - 49%
Rogers - 36%
The rest were lower

In 803 Defensive plays
Simmons - 80%
AJ - 76%
Skalski - 70%
Kendrick - 66% (kind of surprised me)
K'von - 65%
Chad Smith - 64%
Muse - 62%
The rest were under 50%

As a final note, we had 50 players play over 100 snaps, 18 paly 35 - 100, 31 play less than 35 and an additional 15 play only on special teams. We Too Deep!

Can we be beaten Saturday? Sure, but only if we contribute. If we play up to our standard, I like our chances.

Go Tigers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: QB and participation stats for your reading pleasure

Dec 26, 2019, 12:18 PM

Both QBs are elite however you look at it.

Fields' 40/1 TD/INT ratio is ridiculously good. When it comes to running, he is more of a scrambler IMO. He is very effective at picking up 1st downs when coverage is good. It is vital we get pressure up the middle so he can't step up in the pocket and break containment. I hate the idea of having to waste Isaiah Simmons as a "spy" but that may be necessary sometimes.

If we have success running the ball, TL will have a chance to bust a big one on a read option. If their LBs are paranoid about keying on ETN, that will play right into our hands.

Dec 26, 2019, 5:46 PM

If their DBs go man to man TL could run for a lot of yardage, but I think first downs is the more critical aspect of the QB run game. Whichever QB runs for the most first downs will put a lot of extra pressure on the defense.

Dec 26, 2019, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the post. I don't believe that there is any argument that TL is the better passer and that JF is the better runner. But your statistics clearly indicate that TL is likely to take fewer sacks and fewer tack;es for losses and is also perhaps the more effective runner.

In the second Wisconsin game, I noticed that JF was able to scramble for key third downs on third and six, third and five when unable to find a receiver. TL can also scramble but mostly still looking to find an open receiver. Some his worst interceptions came when TL was scrambling and tried to make a VERY difficult throw.

So, in summary, would you agree that JF is the better scrambler but TL is better in finding running yardage for himself when the defense presents him with the opportunity?

I agree with you - TL's running plays may be the difference, although I hope that that just his passing does the job.

Dec 26, 2019, 12:33 PM

I would agree with your assessment, but i would add that i think Trevor has better pocket awareness. He still looks to pass so his runs have a better chance to be successful, or at least less likely to be a huge loss.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,305
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic