Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tommy Bowden still doesn't get it
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Tommy Bowden still doesn't get it

Jul 26, 2012, 3:58 PM

He still thinks a good football team is just a collection of playmakers making plays. I'll bet you if you handed Bowden Sweeny's players right now, with the old coaching staff we had in place, our record would be worse.

Chad Morris' offense has done just as much or more for our team than all the talent we've stockpiled.

Sure we need good players, and they're important, but TB doesn't realize that's only half the equation. Maybe if TB spent a little more time trying to get his playmakers to play as disciplined team players in a system built to exploit their talent AND use them as a decoy, he might be a more successful coach. Sammy is nothing without the other wide receivers. And they are nothing without Tajh making the correct reads and passing to whoever is open. And Tajh is useless without an offensive line blocking for him as well as a running back blocking for him. And our RB's are worthless without the threat of our WR's, Tajh, and our O-line blocking for them.

Tommy Bowden never quite grasped this concept. Our old offense was not designed around skill players. Bowden's offense was designed to put the game on the backs of skill players instead of making them all work together as a team. Sure, it made for some good seasons, but a team like ours under Bowden would never have great seasons. Remember when we walked into that buzz saw in the Georgia Dome called Alabama. They were good, but Clemson had, at least on paper, an advantage with our skill players. I'm pretty sure we were favored to win that game. Well, Alabama was well coached, came out and played as a disciplined team, and kicked our rear.

Sports analysts (the ESPN crowd especially) are prone to have the same outlook as Bowden. They drool over the players, hype up the super stars, without realizing the super stars are only super because they play on a team that works together. Coaching is what makes the difference. Les Miles knows this. Nick Saban knows this. Heck, even Steve Spurrier knows this. Dabo is growing up to be a good head coach. He had an idea and a philosophy, and a path and direction in mind. He went out and hired assistants based on their system and not on their talented players.

Bowden had the right idea when he went and grabbed Rob Spence from Toledo, but he (or Spence) adjusted that offense based on the skill players on the team. Now Chad came to Clemson with a unique offense as well. But Chad's smart. Sure, he walked into a gold mine of talent, but he kept his offense true to its principles. He coached Tajh to find the open receiver and not to concentrate on just Sammy and Nuke. Sammy and Nuke are just as valuable lining up and running down the field covered as they are trying to snag a ball out of the air dragging a defender. And in our offense, if we are doing things right in the air, we will also have a great running game. Again, the skill of the RB is not as important when you have a defense sweating the pass. Ellington should have a great year, and if he wasn't here, we would still have a good year running the ball if the rest of our team plays well.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but around 2006 I figured out Bowden's problem. And after reading the front page article, I see he still has it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tommy Bowden still doesn't get it

Jul 26, 2012, 4:01 PM

Could be a reason he's gone?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Problem when we played Alabama was the same problem we have

Jul 26, 2012, 4:03 PM

now-too much dependence on skill players and lack of toughness overall. I don't think his record would have been much different from Swinney's, taking into account what has happened to ACC. He might even have beaten Carolina one of the last three.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Problem when we played Alabama was the same problem we have

Jul 26, 2012, 4:05 PM

I have to disagree...Dabo took Bowdens players in 2009 and won the atlantic....something Tommy could never do in 10 years

To be fair to TB

Jul 26, 2012, 4:07 PM

We did play FSU in the last week of the year in 2000 for the ACC title.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To be fair to Rich Rodriguez

Jul 26, 2012, 4:21 PM

We did play FSU in the last week of the year in 2000 for the ACC title.

After he left I think Bowden became a little too involved in managing the OC's. Dabo started off making that same mistake too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't really see a dependence on skill players with

Jul 26, 2012, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Problem when we played Alabama was the same problem we have ]

our offense now. Our offense functioned better as a team playing last year than I have seen for a long long time. Our defense was horrible, but that was because the players did not know what they were doing...staring at the sideline when the ball is snapped, yelling at each other and shifting around not knowing where to line up.

I think our offense took a step back when the ESPN/media crowd started hyping all the skill players. That kind of stuff will get in anyone's head and cause problems. After that 8-0 run I noticed a lack of seriousness. Hopefully that focus and seriousness will be back after the medicine we took in Miami. Go back and watch the Orange Bowl pre-game video. They showed both teams in and around Miami before the game. Our players were all laughing, joking, and having fun. They looked like they were on a field trip. The WVA players looked like they were preparing for war.

Dabo's next thing he needs to learn is how to keep a good streak from becoming a distraction. We did not respond well to the mid-late season hype in the media and I really think that had an effect, and that's something Dabo needs to address and that is Dabo's biggest weakness right now. Then again, that's a good problem to have.

Re: Problem when we played Alabama was the same problem we have

Jul 26, 2012, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Problem when we played Alabama was the same problem we have ]

Yea the acc was way better then ???

Fire Tommy!!!***

Jul 26, 2012, 4:06 PM

I bet Bowden knows how to spell our coach's name though.***

Jul 26, 2012, 4:06 PM

Well said....

Jul 26, 2012, 4:07 PM

I asked a "question for the board" about the Bowden commentary and most seem to enjoy reading and/or hearing his commentary about CU. That's great that he still thinks highly of CU but it just seems like he is dwelling and wishing b/c he couldnt get us to where Dabo has taken us. It takes more than a "name" to win football games. I say move on. I have anyways. Cant speak for the rest of Tiger Nation.

I've moved on. Just pointing out what I took from the

Jul 26, 2012, 4:16 PM

article.

i thought tommy gave credit where credit is due. he said

Jul 26, 2012, 4:12 PM

dabo's become a good coach, that he's hired good coordinators and that he's a good recruitier bringing in good talent. what's the problem with that?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

Re: i thought tommy gave credit where credit is due. he said

Jul 26, 2012, 4:22 PM

Yeah but he did throw in that little comment about how we would have only won 7 or 8 games if we didn't have Sammy. I didn't like that smarmy little comment !!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that people still pick his words apart just like

Jul 26, 2012, 4:12 PM

they did when he was a coach.

Taken in a general sense, I don't disagree with anything that he said.

IMHO, one stud player can make a difference. That's all he was saying.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bowden was a good coach when Rich Rod was his OC

Jul 26, 2012, 4:21 PM

Once Rich Rod left and he hired people like Rob Spence you really saw what kind of coach Bowden was.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bowden was a good coach when Rich - Agree

Jul 26, 2012, 5:32 PM

Went from fire to timid "whatever you want Tommy or whatever 'star" player he was trying to please...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And why did he take out Reggie?***

Jul 26, 2012, 4:25 PM

TU! I know I was yelling his name with about 60,000 others***

Jul 26, 2012, 4:28 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TU! I know I was yelling his name with about 60,000 others***

Jul 26, 2012, 4:29 PM

I still have nightmares about it

Reg - gie Reg - gie Reg-gie to ### is he doing

Re: TU! I know I was yelling his name with about 60,000 others***

Jul 26, 2012, 4:51 PM

It took Duane Coleman getting injured for Bowden to put Reggie in to begin with. If Coleman had not been injured, we would never have known how good Reggie was. It was Bowden's job to figure that out, and he was clueless.

I don't really care what Bowden's thoughts are personally. I like the man - but not the 'coach'. Sorry - but that's not going to change.

I would like to see TB start coaching again, and for him to move on. Maybe someday he will be a good coach. I will pull for him to do well, but I don't want to see him on our sidelines again.

I was almost sick to my stomach and watching Reggie

Jul 26, 2012, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Re: TU! I know I was yelling his name with about 60,000 others*** ]

stomp off the field I have a feeling he was too. Everyone in the stadium knew what was coming, but they couldn't stop him for less than 6 yards a touch....yet somehow he gets pulled. That and the over the head snap against GT when we had the game won are two games that will forever make me sick.

Timid coach trying to please 'star" recruits

Jul 26, 2012, 5:35 PM

coware always trying to please - and Tommy was his co-pleaser! Rich Rod was just the opposite - aggresive fiery - he would have left the successful runner in..

I thought he said some good things...

Jul 26, 2012, 4:27 PM

Why can't we apprciate what he did do for us. he dominated sc and chose Dabo and began the recruiting foundation we are enjoying today.

Spot on.***

Jul 26, 2012, 4:58 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Tommy Bowden still doesn't get it

Jul 26, 2012, 4:59 PM

Tommy still might not get,but there is onething that even you overlooked.
In part,what cost Tommy his job is what is keeping Clemson,and maybe even Dabo from getting to the next level.
How many times did Tommy lose games to teams he should not have.I am not talking about the Alabama's of the world.I am talking about the Virginia's,the Dukes,the Eagles of Boston College.
Last season it was N.C.State.
Or how about road games like Wake on a Thursday nite ,or the Yellow Jackets ,or UNC the season before last.
Just my opinion,but what hurts Clemson ,more than anything is that they seem to find away to snag defeat from the jaws of victory,and there are way too many times Clemson finds away to play down to the level of their competition.
Discipline is one thing,coaching is one thing,playing as a team is one thing.
Having the right direction in mind is ok,but until Clemson can find a way to put a team away early,there will allways be that one game that will keep them from achieving what I think we all are thinking about!

I give Tommy some credit.....

Jul 26, 2012, 5:21 PM

The facilities were awful when he arrived. He worked hard to get what was needed to bring us what we have now. I also give TDP stars for coming in and seeing that we got what we needed.

Tommy just lost too many games he should have won. Thus the phrase "pulling a Clemson" came into existence.

Dabo reminds me of Danny Ford. Danny was thrust into the job, and had to learn on the fly. Once he learned to hire the right assistants and get out their way, we ascended to the upper echelons of college football.
Recruiting also improved like it is today.

If not for the pissing contest that led to his ousting, I really believe we would have won another NC in 90 or 91. The talent on those teams were incredible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic