Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Mike Williams fumble?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

The Mike Williams fumble?

Oct 16, 2016, 12:29 AM

He touched the ball while out of bounds.
Should the ball been ruled out as well?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Mike Williams fumble?

Oct 16, 2016, 12:36 AM

Yes, but by rule he was never technically 'down' because his elbow or knee never hit. I'm not sure what constitutes as out of bounds though. If a foot makes you out of bounds a hand sure would too. Probably should have been clemsons ball

I remember last year we got a TD by stepping on a Coots

Oct 16, 2016, 6:02 AM

hand that was out of bounds so I assume the same rule applies. Go Tigers 7-0!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doesn't matter. He needs to stop fighting for

Oct 16, 2016, 12:37 AM

an extra 2 yards once he gets the first down. Don't risk a freak turnover like that. He's had 2 turnovers this year on the sideline fighting for a couple extra yards.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Doesn't matter. He needs to stop fighting for

Oct 16, 2016, 12:43 AM

I agree make a move but when you're down go down

Oct 16, 2016, 12:48 AM [ in reply to Doesn't matter. He needs to stop fighting for ]

My question is this...in both these cases (Auburn and ncst) he's on top of a player who is out of bounds, while touching the ball, correct? He's technically not touching out of bounds himself...but is not ruled down when his body is on top of another which is out of bounds.

If that's true what's to stop someone from throwing a pass to a player who is standing on a player out of bounds behind the end zone? Then they could just flip it back(lateral) to whoever was open in the end zone.

Just playing devils advocate, but srsly?

Oct 16, 2016, 1:24 AM

Good question and valid point.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty sure you have to be on top of a defender, not

Oct 16, 2016, 6:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Doesn't matter. He needs to stop fighting for ]

just any player.

lol! that would be so cool to see.***

Oct 16, 2016, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Doesn't matter. He needs to stop fighting for ]

Re: lol! that would be so cool to see.***

Oct 16, 2016, 9:02 AM

Ok so if we need a score in the red zone just have one of our WR go lay down behind the end zone, while another wr stands on him like an island. The wr standing on said "island" catches it and the ball is still live despite being in the out of bounds area.

Then hypothetically we build a bridge of players for him to walk to the end zone or he just laterals it back to any open player for the td.

Far fetched, yes! But not against the rules apparently!

Now the defense has to defend even the out of bounds areas. How's that for the "opening the playbook crowd"?!

Re: lol! that would be so cool to see.***

Oct 16, 2016, 9:19 AM

It would be against the rules because there is a rule about using your players to launch yourself.

It's the same reason while a defense can't jump on the back of one of his teammates to block a kick.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

To be honest if you make that kind of

Oct 16, 2016, 12:42 AM

play it's not getting overturned.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought we was out of bounds when he touched the fumble. Should'vd been out there.***

I thought we was out of bounds when he touched the fumble. Should'vd been out there.***

Re: I thought we was out of bounds when he touched the fumble. Should'vd been out there.***

Oct 16, 2016, 10:36 AM

Mike was OOB when he touched it but ball never was. Rule is ball that is possessed then fumbled OOB goes to last player to touch it BEFORE it goes out. Possession is at the point where ball left the field of play. I think the refs got that one right, though not many others.

Re: I thought we was out of bounds when he touched the fumble. Should'vd been out there.***

Oct 16, 2016, 11:26 AM

C/o 09 - what if he doesn't "launch" and just stands there and catches it? What defender in his right mind is going to run way out of bounds to defend a pass?

Oct 16, 2016, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: I thought we was out of bounds when he touched the fumble. Should'vd been out there.*** ]

I'm pretty sure it doesn't go to the last person to touch it before it goes out of bounds, but rather to the last person that possesses it before it goes out of bounds.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2016, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Re: I thought we was out of bounds when he touched the fumble. Should'vd been out there.*** ]

I think you mean the last player to POSSESS it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty sure him being on top of the NCSU player

Oct 16, 2016, 12:47 AM

who was on the ground out of bounds constitutes Mike also being considered out of bounds.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pretty sure him being on top of the NCSU player

Oct 16, 2016, 6:56 AM

not correct (see below)

Oct 16, 2016, 7:13 AM

Yeah it would really ruin those end zone fade routes if a defender just had to step a foot out of bounds and touch the WR to to make him an ineligible WR.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Oct 16, 2016, 7:37 AM

must be tough coming on here and correcting people who are looking for things to complain about after a win.

Oct 16, 2016, 7:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Pretty sure him being on top of the NCSU player ]

If the ball is fumbled and the out of bounds player touches the ball in any manner, the ball is considered out of bounds.

Oct 16, 2016, 7:35 AM

agree, but in this case no out of bounds player touched the ball.

that's exactly how they ruled the same scenario in the OSU

Oct 16, 2016, 12:53 AM

Wisc game

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^

Oct 16, 2016, 8:15 AM

EXACTLY!!!!

smFh!!!!'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Oct 16, 2016, 6:55 AM

they got the call right, landing on a player that is out of bounds does not mean you are out of bounds.

Oct 16, 2016, 8:11 AM

You got me curios, so I checked the rule. Here's the rule addressing loose ball being out of bounds:

Loose Ball Out of Bounds
ARTICLE 3. a. A ball not in player possession, other than a kick that scores a field goal, is out of bounds when it touches the ground, a player, a game official or anything else that is out of bounds, or that is on or outside a boundary line.

Player Out of Bounds is defined earlier in the rules as "...when any part of his person touches anything, other than another player or game official, on or outside a boundary line." Based on this part of the rule, I could argue the fumble was still a live ball since Williams was on the defender when he touched the loose ball.

However, the last "or" statement in Article 3 is independent of whether or not the player is touching the ground. Williams was "...outside a boundary line," but it's not clear from the wording whether it means they have to be touching the ground based on that last "or" statement. It seems to imply that a loose ball is considered out of bounds when it touches anything on or outside the boundary line.

Oct 16, 2016, 8:23 AM

Rule aside ... the sad part is that when MW made his last attempt to recover the ball, he appeared to hit it back into the field of play, and that may have actually prevented the ball from going OOB's ... 'cause it seemed to be headed that way.

Mike Williams had a good game with a lot of Mistakes

Oct 16, 2016, 10:35 AM

It really is that simple. It seems he has been off all year, dropping passes etc. not sure if Watson is over throwing him or if he isn't on his route like in practice but our offense has failed to click with the exception of the BC game. I have nothing but hope that the bi week, followed by a huge hyped up game at FSU is going to tell us whether or not we deserve to even be in the hunt or not. Either way I am still proud of these tigers and realize that we are living in some glorious times. Let's not take that for granted.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2016, 10:23 AM

To add more fuel to the fire. I thought mike was down before he fumbled. By rule the only things you can use to stay up are your hands and feet. Not sure about the ball in college. However it looked like mike Williams wrist was what he used to stay up. Haven't seen the replay to confirm. I have seen players ruled down before in a similar situation where their wrist touched and they were marked down.

That's how it was ruled in the OhioSt/Wisky game...***

Oct 16, 2016, 11:33 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic