Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A few thoughts that will be totally meaningless in 7 days
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,808

A few thoughts that will be totally meaningless in 7 days

Aug 23, 2014, 11:07 AM

What happened last year is equally as meaningless as the AP Preseason Poll. Nobody really knows – you have potential, analysis of talent & work ethic, injuries, mental games, discipline issues, academic issues and a lot of that thing called luck. All preseason predictions are meaning less especially when you move towards the second half of the poll. In my opinion there is no difference between 16 and 12 … none what so ever.

Many try to use stats, adding & subtracting, and wishful thinking in what their team is going to do this upcoming season. Me? I never make predictions. I enjoy the season. At times I am tremendously happy and others I am about as frustrated as a man my age can get. From my limited knowledge (from both teams) I can only assume what I think it will take for either side to win. Turnovers go without saying … that is true with any game at any level on any given day. But, this is what I think:

For Clemson to win –
1) Stoudt, as a fourth year – first year starter will have to manage the line of scrimmage from the first snap. He has great snaps in his playing time experience. It has not been against starters (for the most part) and it will be on the road which will make it that much more difficult. I don’t care what anyone says, a first start is a first start. Big challenge. Yes, Mason has a tough task at hand too, but we will get to that later. If he steps up and has the time and opportunity to hit his receivers in our secondary it may very well be a big day for the young man. He will have his hands full with a more aggressive style of defense than Georgia has played in years and a front seven who has depth and one of the best linebacker corps in college football … potentially.
2) Defense line … what can I say here … from what I have read it will probably be the best that Georgia faces this year and a LB corps who will be strong. These 7 will most definitely control the pulse of the Tigers for most of the season. Though many of you may argue with me … barring injury … you don’t stop Gurley you just try to contain him. Blitz too much will give him (or his teammates) the opportunity to hit the second level and break a long run. Pressure from the ends could prove deadly for the Dawgs.

To simplify, if Stoudt steps up and matches his performance numbers to date and the defense contains Georgia’s running game and pressures from the edges Clemson will walk away with a second consecutive win.

For Georgia to win –
1) Despite popular belief on Tigernet, Georgia’s defense will be more experienced than what they field week one last year. Combined with the aggressive style of Pruitt and a more simplified version of the previous year’s defense this squad has to perform much better than last year. Will it happen? I really don’t know. One thing that I do know is that the LB corps will be one of the best Georgia has fielded in years … combined with an experienced and deep offensive line. Key to the game the front seven. They will have to play well enough to protect the secondary. This young and thin squad will need to the help not lose the game.
2) Georgia’s offense will have to keep Clemson’s front seven honest. Not too many blitzes that game plan will prove to help to the Dawgs. Not enough and Mason may have the opportunity to go down field with the ball. Play action will be the key to make this happen. Not just good play calling, but must include execution. The players make the difference between a great play caller and a bad one. If it is executed correctly and works he is great … if there is a break down in execution he stinks … (sorry about wondering) Ball control, let the play action develop and Mason keeping his composure will be the key.

Looking forward to a good game. Clemson fans attending the game … if you stay away from the drunk frat boys and other drunk fans (which every team has) you will have a fun day. Yell back at a drunk and you have a fight on your hand. Be friendly and you are likely to be fed and served a few from decent Georgia fans. You might get ribbed a bit, but something tells me that if you frequent Tigernet you don’t have any problem with some ribbing.

My final words … I SURE AM GLAD WE ARE NOT PLAYING IN DEATH VALLEY THIS YEAR!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A few thoughts that will be totally meaningless in 7 days

Aug 23, 2014, 11:31 AM

Just a note on that Georgia #1 (unbiased and straight up)...Just keep in mind when you mention what Pruitt is doing there to a Clemson fan, we all think "been there, done that, seen that"....Brent Venables did the very same thing when he arrived. He came in, simplified the defense that Steele had. And we can tell you, week 1, you will see a difference and some improvements....but will it be across the board and make you look like a superiorly improved defense that dominates? Truth be told, not likely. WHen Venables came in, you could easily see the difference of schemes, as well as some of the fundamentals, but mistakes were still there game 1...progressively through the year, you could really see how it was taking shape, but to expect a complete 180 game 1 would be over-pumping it, and we can tell you from seeing it done to our team 2 years ago. Just keep that in mind.

Agreed. Even if Pruitt is top notch the

Aug 23, 2014, 1:54 PM

UGA defense will not improve from as bad as it was last year to great in his first game as coach. His time coaching them has been far too limited.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Question on Mason that I haven't seen addressed

Aug 23, 2014, 1:42 PM

How well does he sell the play action?

Re: Question on Mason that I haven't seen addressed

Aug 23, 2014, 3:08 PM

That's one of those things that can all be developed over time. Personally I feel as if he does a good job but nowhere near where David Greene (who I think was one of the best at it) or Murray. Greene would turn his back to the line and slowly walk away with the ball hidden ... that was something to watch. Defenses caught onto to it and could only be run effectively a few times a year. Developing a threatening running game is the major key and if that is done then the "major" sales job is not as necessary to keep the defense honest.

Bottom line: We will just have to wait and see. Good question.

Aug 23, 2014, 3:13 PM

I love it ever time a team changes dc. They always say we have switched to a simpler scheme were there is less thinking and the ath can just react. It's alway the same it takes a while to put a new defense in it doesn't happen in one year.

Aug 23, 2014, 4:01 PM

Don't look for him to be a saving grace ... especially this early, but many-a Georgia fans (me included) wanted Grantham gone for a couple of years. I tell you I have never seen a defense get as confused as our did from time to time. It was crazy!

I just look for improvement on the defense side of the ball just like any team would when they are trying to upgrade in one of the coaches.

I may be disappointed and I may not. Will just have to wait and see.

Aug 23, 2014, 4:11 PM

Grantham ?
Maybe you never watched a Clemson defense during the Kevin Steele experiment ?
It was like Keystone Cops at times... but horrifyingly real.
Venables is much appreciated around these parts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Keystone Cops .. Wish I would have thought of that first

Aug 23, 2014, 5:06 PM

Would have fit perfectly!

pretty solid analysis**

Aug 23, 2014, 2:17 PM

n

Re: pretty solid analysis**

Aug 23, 2014, 3:12 PM

Thanks Cold Gin

... back in the day I enjoyed my gin cold. Chill the glass first ... I did shake, but was sure not to bruise the gin ... Liked it dirty too!

O' and dry too - would take the vermouth out and open the bottle then just sit it by my glass while it was chilling ... (didn't always use it.)

Pretty logical, but a few counter points to ponder...

Aug 23, 2014, 4:29 PM

Uga's qb play is not likely to be better. Murray was really good.
This can also be said of Stoudt, but I think with one caveat. Tajh was great but sometimes horrible. (see FSU and Usuc games) He was solid last year against UGa, though. We expect Cole to be steadier, less spectacular and less schizo.

The UGa OL is not a strength, esp at Tackle. #71 and #75 are slow and speed rushers really give them trouble. WHat this means is more quick passes and running, but Venables knows this, too. If there's not a real deep threat, it's fairly safe to bring down a safety to clog up the runs.

I expect the Clemson DL > Uga OL to be the biggest advantage in the game.

The wildcards are the newbies. What untested, unproven freshman or new starters will show out? It often happens and it can make a big difference in early games.

Looking forward to it, and some good tailgating.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pretty logical, but a few counter points to ponder...

Aug 23, 2014, 5:20 PM

I like threads like this. Good discussion. Good analysis. Thus far troll-free. (May it stay that way.)

I agree with pretty much everything. I think it comes down to Stoudt...because I think UGA's OL - and consequently, Mason - are going to struggle. Clemson's D-line is probably the best in the country (yes, better than Alabama's, better than LSU's) and we've upgraded dramatically in the secondary, especially with Mackenzie Alexander, if all reports on him are to be believed.

I am concerned about our run fits. Gurley's first touch last year went for 75+ yards and a TD...and it was because a safety didn't find his run fit and Gurley was through the gap and then on into the end zone before we realized what hit us. We are replacing two starting LB's and while one replacement, Steward is a former 5-star and is now allegedly healthy for the first time in his career he's never started before, and we're also replacing Quan Christian on the other side. If our LB's and safeties dither and hesitate - at all - we could see more repeats of that. Contrariwise, while Gurley and Co. did some damage with long runs last year, they were oftentimes blown up in the backfield a lot too...again, our DL is very, very disruptive. Now it's a year older...and Grady Jarrett, arguably the best player on the D (yes, probably even better than Vic Beasley) is not playing with a torn labrum in his shoulder. The DL also goes 3-deep. UGA is not going to be able to wear this unit out.

UGA is going to try to get to Stoudt. The crowd is going to try to get to Clemson's offense. If the O executes, gets the ball out quick, and forces UGA to back off - because Pruitt is certainly going to stack the box and pressure - then Clemson will probably do just fine on offense. But if Stoudt is not composed, if our OL struggles, and if our very talented but young RB's put the ball on the ground, it could be a long night in Athens.

(Sad to say, that will probably be the end of Stoudt, because his edge on Deshaun Watson is allegedly his veteran composure and superior grasp on the offense. If the composure isn't there, there's really no point in continuing the conversation, because Watson is without question more physically talented...and talent will always trump experience, especially as they say, if you are willing to give talent some experience....)

I'm rooting for Stoudt. He's waited his turn, has conducted himself with class, and I'd like to see him seize his opportunity, have a good year and get his chance at the NFL.

We'll know a lot more in seven days. I can definitely see it going either way.

Re: Pretty logical, but a few counter points to ponder...

Aug 23, 2014, 5:42 PM

Your D is not an issue. Secondary is the weakest part, but would not call it a weakness. I think Alexander is going to be a great one.

I believe in our offense. Unfortunately you have bought into the Mason was horrible rhetoric that has only been expressed on Tigernet. Was he lights out? No, but he was thrown into the center ring and gained a lot of experience that can only be gained with playing time. OL will be stable and deep. No real "stars" so to speak but a worthy corps. With the "stable" of running backs, deep and experienced OL and experienced WRs Mason has to just not "lose" it. Both of our strengths will be colliding this year. I think it will result in a lower score game.

I expect no less than this being an epic game. Lots of Clemson friends ... Matter of my niece and her husband just moved their with their two babies. He is working on his masters in physics and working as a graduate assistant in the drone and robotics program.

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,808
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic