Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Monsters in the Middle
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

New Story: Monsters in the Middle

Jun 30, 2016, 8:06 AM

Monsters in the Middle

Clemson’s tradition of excellence at defensive tackle is indisputable, and the names still echo in Death Valley. But this year’s group, the group that will take the field in 2016, has a chance to be pretty special. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Monsters in the Middle- Coach Brooks

Jun 30, 2016, 8:19 AM

the man does a wonderful job. He is a coaches coach. No one has done it better and longer. Clemson is so blessed to have him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Monsters in the Middle- Coach Brooks

Jun 30, 2016, 9:47 AM

Totally agree, and he does it so methodically and kind of under the radar. He is one of the real jewels on our staff who just goes out and develops players fully. This guy knows how to coach, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Monsters in the Middle

Jun 30, 2016, 8:31 AM

This is absolutely terrifying for opponents. I see at least 3 first round prospects here and maybe 4. Unreal

Jun 30, 2016, 9:52 AM

I can tell you how frustrating it is to be so beat up and tired as an OL and look up and see the fresh face of a new replacement in front of you every other series who is just as good as the one before. It is demoralizing, and there isn't a thing you can do about it but your best, which may not hold out to be good enough by the end of the 4th quarter. That is a huge part of how we are doing so well now, as opposed to past years when we would give out of gas late in games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My God. I pity opposing OL coaches.

Jun 30, 2016, 8:40 AM

And it will only get worse next season when Bryant and Ferrell have more experience and Christian and Dex are starting. Whew. That's terrifying.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: My God. I pity opposing OL coaches.

Jun 30, 2016, 10:04 AM

Yep, agree. Opposing DL coaches aren't going to be too thrilled about facing our offense either.

Jun 30, 2016, 8:50 AM

This is an impressive group—former and current —and no mention of Steve Berlin. It's going to be a fun year watching this group develop into a dominant force. Watch out!

Predominately playing a 4-3 with a 3-4 size line....

Jun 30, 2016, 8:55 AM

Coach V has all kinds of variables. The LB corp is just getting bigger and faster and deeper, too.... Some key DB pickups and things are set for a while.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Predominately playing a 4-3 with a 3-4 size line....

Jun 30, 2016, 10:36 AM

But, But from the way our most experienced FB fans has described what our defense will be for our 16-17 season, our offense will have to score every time they touch the ball. I do understand the concerns of losing players like Mackensie Alexander and T.J. Green and others that hurts, but we still have talent in the secondary that can play. Guys like Adrian Baker, Ryan Carter, Marcus Edmond, Mark Fields, Cordrea Tankersley, and there are others, but all of them are looking a gift offering horse straight in the face if they will step up and prove they want to play college FB. We have some secondary players that if players like a Mackensie hadn't left early, they may not have seen the field until their senior season. The door in the secondary was left open, but it won't stay that way for long bc we have talented players wanting and are willing to step up and grab those positions where we had surprised openings at. Just like this article, "Monsters in the Middle", we have guys that are going to put pressure on opposing QBs. And I believe our secondary will be talented enough to get us by until they can and will get much better in the secondary. Our coaches believe we will be ok, and they believe we will do well enough to get back to the play offs. And for me personally, when I look at the roster, I see talent that with a few more snaps to gain a little more experience, we will again be a strong secondary. We have talent that want those positions bad enough to give it all they have to give to make those positions their's to start!!! My glass is always more than half full, and I see us back in the playoffs come December 2016!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the DBs will be better than some are saying, also..

Jun 30, 2016, 11:52 AM

Increased playing time will should make the difference, but recruiting some DB studs to 'WRU' shouldn't be difficult...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No mention of Sterling Johnson.

Jun 30, 2016, 10:08 AM

Did he change positions?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No mention of Sterling Johnson.

Jun 30, 2016, 10:52 AM

When the coaches feel that his light has come on, and that he is using them on brights, you won't here much about them. To be mentioned in that class of guys, they better be good enough to start, or be a top back up. Just like it seems like Pagano has been at Clemson forever, and he is just now starting to be praised as a RS junior. Without a bad injury, we will now hear his name called a bunch. They come in highly rated, but it takes time for the light to come on for most of them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just came back to this post to ask the same question...***

Jun 30, 2016, 11:53 AM [ in reply to No mention of Sterling Johnson. ]

Re: I just came back to this post to ask the same question...***

Jun 30, 2016, 12:24 PM

An embarrassment of riches! It's worked for Alabama for years. Now, it will work for the Tigers! As far as the secondary goes, it may work out just the opposite from last year's unit, which sagged in the last few games (especially in the NCG). These guys may experience some growing pains in the first few games but get better as the season progresses. I'm expecting a super strong team by the end of October.

Re: I just came back to this post to ask the same question...***

Jun 30, 2016, 6:24 PM

Any time these guys take what they practice all week into the games, they see the things that they don't practice for, and it just makes them better players!!!

Jun 30, 2016, 12:34 PM

Small point: I don't think Jim Stukey ever played on the line. He was always a linebacker; wasn't he?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jim Stuckey

Jun 30, 2016, 1:38 PM

Was a DT from 1976-1979.

Jun 30, 2016, 1:49 PM

The Tigers have the line covered. Which is the starting point of winning games. I've been a Panago fan since I first saw him. Yes, maybe there's a couple of players that are a little better. But, watching Pagano at the beginning of last year, he was awesome against the Center. I waych him at least 4 times where he put the Center on his back side. That does more than some may know against the run. Not to take anything away from Reader, but I actually thought the D did better against the run with him in.

As far as the O line goes, don't be surprised, if this group turns out to be the best in Clemson football history!

Jun 30, 2016, 2:08 PM

and if the DL occupies one or two OL then the linebackers basically run free.

The Key is going be........

Jun 30, 2016, 5:21 PM

the secondary (w/ the def.)
especially the corners.
But, I am also curious to see how much Joseph is improved at LB.
And how the young guns do; Smith and Lamar.

Watkins & Wilkins starting at DT is a given provided ...

Jun 30, 2016, 5:44 PM

neither is injured and Wilkins doesn't move to DE.

Lawrence and Pagano are both rock stars and Lawrence could be a Top 15 NFL pick in 3-4 yrs similar to Wilkins. But like Wilkins last year and Perry in 1981, Lawrence will come off the bench out of respect for the more seasoned vets. That is the Dabo way and the way of most coaches.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic