Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Out of curiosity, when the XFL begins
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Out of curiosity, when the XFL begins

Feb 18, 2018, 8:49 PM

which Clemson players do you see playing in that league? CJ Spiller is the first name that comes to mind with me. Maybe a guy like Ben Boulware? I know people scoff at the thought of the XFL and I would be surprised if it made it past season 2, but I'd like to know what Clemson guys might attempt to go that route.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Out of curiosity, when the XFL begins

Feb 18, 2018, 8:55 PM

Chansi Stuckey , Patrick Sapp , John Leake , Jamal Fudge .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 18, 2018, 11:12 PM

It doesn't start until 2020 does it? Spiller will be 32 by that time, which doesn't make it impossible for him to play, but I don't see it as likely.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prediction: The new XFL will never even launch

Feb 19, 2018, 7:26 AM

It will get cancelled before 2020. Vince McMahon literally has no idea how any of the new XFL is going to work. They don't know what rules they're going to use, they don't know where the teams will play, who will play on them, where the games will be shown, nothing. Vince really thinks it's all going to be figured out and ready to go by early 2020 lol. At best, it'll be delayed until 2021 or later.

Re: Prediction: The new XFL will never even launch

Feb 20, 2018, 12:01 AM

A successful XFL might challenge the justification for the monopoly of the NFL. This becomes more possible in a market that loves football but is seeking an alternative to what is being currently offered. At a time when ratings are down and so much is politicized I think there is a chance for this to work.

This is definitely the time to try it

Feb 20, 2018, 1:35 PM

but Vince's track record is a bunch of failures and one massive success that he made by basically stabbing every other promoter in the back in the early 80s to nearly monopolize wrestling on television.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is definitely the time to try it

Feb 20, 2018, 10:45 PM

McMahon isn't necessarily the greatest, but it might be time for an NFL alternative. if timing is on his side, then his job would be to not screw it up as opposed to make it work perfectly

Re: This is definitely the time to try it

Feb 21, 2018, 12:50 AM

An actual "NFL alternative" would cost about $80 billion dollars. The average NFL franchise is worth - by conservative estimates - about $2.5 billion dollars apiece. Times 32 teams...you get the idea.

That's probably light, when you consider the entrenched place that the NFL has in American society. It took the better part of a century to get it there.

The NFL's biggest problem, actually, is probably its predatory behavior towards other leagues. The NFL has always crushed its would-be competitors instead of forming a pyramid - which the NFL would sit atop - and abetting them, as leagues like the EPL, Serie A, and La Liga did with soccer in Europe. What those leagues ended up doing, instead of creating competitors, was just create a truly massive continental - and then global - appetite for the game. There are leagues stacked atop leagues now in Europe...but the best of the best of the best still play in England, in Italy, in Spain, in Germany. And even the guys in lesser leagues aspire to play in the bigs.

They grew the game, and profited from it. The NFL has gone the other way.

Into that you see a repeated pattern of lower leagues appearing - and then vanishing - beneath the behemoth those 32 NFL franchises represent.

Vince McMahon has money...but does he have $80 billion dollars, or even any kind of fraction of that? (I actually checked...his net worth is listed at $1.73 billion, and how much of that is he willing to burn to attempt to compete with the NFL?)

I wish him luck, but the math is not with him. He actually doesn't even have the cash to buy one NFL franchise, much less take on the whole league.

Feb 21, 2018, 7:36 AM

Parnell Burnside is the first name that comes to mind

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic