Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Potential 52 yard field goal in 2Q
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Potential 52 yard field goal in 2Q

Oct 21, 2013, 2:49 PM

We had intercepted and after Hot Rod's bad run we had it at their 35 and punted. Early 2Q and we're losing 17-7.

Should we have tried the field goal?

FSU ended up punting it back to us (one of only 2 times they punted in the game).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat Man isnt a 50+ guy. He misses and they get great FP.***

Oct 21, 2013, 2:50 PM

Re: Potential 52 yard field goal in 2Q

Oct 21, 2013, 2:52 PM

That was another case where fumbling early and getting in a hole cost us. Hot Rod usually isn't the type to stretch out those plays. Everyone was trying to make a big play and ended up making lots of mistakes. No use going for the FG if you miss it adds even more insult to injury.

null

Hot Rod made a poor decision on his run.....

Oct 21, 2013, 3:07 PM

and while I'm not faulting the guy for trying to make something happen, he should have never cut back the second time. It was just one more in a number of mental mistakes on the night for the entire Tiger team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

No, I think it was the right call. Giving them field

Oct 21, 2013, 2:53 PM

that kind of field position would have been dangerous considering the reality of the game at that point.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2013, 2:59 PM

That was probably a close decision. I glanced at the flags on the goalposts, and they weren't moving, so the wind wasn't a factor. I think under the right conditions, Cantanzaro could hit it that far, but the air was damp. They may have noticed in the warmups that the ball wasn't carrying well.

Punting was probably the right call.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it was a p***y call. we should have gone for it there. you

Oct 21, 2013, 3:03 PM

simply don't punt from inside your opponent's 40.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

The mistake was made on third down...it was 3rd and 16, and

Oct 21, 2013, 3:05 PM

we tried to go for all 16 yards. The odds of converting a 3rd and 16 are very low. We needed to check it down or even run the ball for at least 5-10 yards. A 52-yard FG isn't worth trying, but a shorter FG is worth the shot.

Yes.***

Oct 21, 2013, 3:10 PM

I questioned several of the play calls on Saturday night

Oct 21, 2013, 3:16 PM [ in reply to The mistake was made on third down...it was 3rd and 16, and ]

the 3rd and 16 being one of them.

There were other times when it was 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 6 yet we threw the ball 20 yards down the field.

When you're having trouble moving the ball consistently, it makes no sence to try to pick-up 15+ yards when you only need 5 or 6 yards to keep the chains moving.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Rod hits the guy he was trying to dance around

Oct 21, 2013, 3:13 PM

It would be 2nd and 8 so a 44 yard field goal? I also agree a catch and run type play to set up a FG would have been a much better play call.

When I heard we were expecting a lot of press man coverage

Oct 21, 2013, 3:20 PM

I wondered if this had to do with the very few catch and run plays we see that really are the bread and butter of this offense. Did they expect it to be there and never adjust to the fact that they almost never pressed.

FSU's secondary was as good as advertised....

Oct 21, 2013, 3:35 PM

those guys were incredibly fast and well coached. When we did get the ball in space, they closed on the ball very quickly and tackeled well to minimize the gain.

Oct 21, 2013, 4:08 PM

My issue is that it was like 3rd and really long (15+ yards). Instead of trying to convert a really long pass for a 1st down, I thought we should have ran a draw, screen, 5 yard out, etc. to get 5-6 yards and put us in reasonable FG range. Take some points there and cut it to one score.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic