Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plyler's Blog: Nation's Best D?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Plyler's Blog: Nation's Best D?

Oct 28, 2014, 8:40 AM

Nation's Best D?

Nation's Best D?
A few weeks ago a color analyst for ESPN called Clemson's defense the best in the country.  At the time I knew the Tigers were good, but were they the best?

The stats are trending in favor of supporting a strong argument.  Clemson has played extremely well on the defensi

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Plyler's Blog: Nation's Best D?

Oct 28, 2014, 10:06 AM

I remember when... if we had a lead with 5 minutes to go the offense could get the ball and keep it on a long methodical driv down the field... Sat against SU, I saw a little of that. I remember how much fun that was to see the offense keep the ball away from the opponent... I hope to see more of that next year....

We'll need an established pass rusher next year

Oct 28, 2014, 10:19 AM

Lawson could do it but we really need Ebo or Yeargin to be that speed rusher off the edge like Beasley

Oct 28, 2014, 11:08 AM

122/8 = 15.25 per game. Special teams TD and Defensive scores do not count against the defense.

Oct 28, 2014, 3:31 PM

Clemson has one of the best defenses in the nation. Curious to why Cordrea Tankersley doesn't get more playing time. Martin Jenkins is the only DB faster than Tankersley and Tankersley is has proven that he's physical. Also Jadar Johnson seems to get overlooked and is playing extremely well this year. He is 3rd in the ACC in interception return yards. Clemson has a sideline full of talent that is not being used.

We aren't playing in the SEC West; our stats are meaningless***

Oct 28, 2014, 3:35 PM

Great Defense? #1? Really?!

Oct 28, 2014, 7:03 PM

NO WAY we're a "great" defense. Did you see what FSU did to us w/o Winston? Did you see what UGA did to us? How'd we defend Gurley? Come on people! We've played NO ONE since those games. The teams we've played have made our D look great.... but we can't claim greatness this year. WE play no one from this point forward who would validate that label. But hey, if some of you want to run around bragging about being the tallest midget... go ahead... I prefer to hold my standards for this team a little higher than that. I wish our defense had held the best two teams we played to date to numbers worth bragging about... but we didn't!! And there's NO DOUBT in anyone's mind that if our offense had to play SC right now, we'd get stomped. So lets not fool ourselves. We've played well against ACC and OOC cupcakes. That's about all we've accomplished so far.

Re: Great Defense? #1? Really?!

Oct 28, 2014, 7:42 PM

Numbers never lie;)

No defense can be great without an

Oct 28, 2014, 8:41 PM [ in reply to Great Defense? #1? Really?! ]

Offense that is holding their own. The defense at UGA played well thru three quarters and fell apart in the fourth. Had the offense not had so many 3-outs in the 3rd quarter, keeping the D on the field who knows what might have happened. We also were missing Crawford in the game and it seems the big gains came on that side.

FSU the defense played lights out, again with a little bit of offense the game never makes it to OT. What did we give up 12 yards rushing in regulation?

The D basically did what they wanted to against State and UNC, and UNC hung 45 on ND. Against Cuse the O turns the ball over four times and D allows 6 points???

You should go to more games they are fun to watch.

This is probably the best D I have seen at Clemson in a long time, if not ever. No way I can say they are the best in the country since I have not seen all the other teams play, but they are playing at an extremely high level. They certainly deserve to be in the conversation for the best.

With a healthy DW and this D I think we could take on any team out there.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great Defense? #1? Really?!

Oct 28, 2014, 10:28 PM [ in reply to Great Defense? #1? Really?! ]

Let me thoroughly and utterly disagree with you. Apparently you did not watch the same UGA game because until the end of the third quarter, we are only down by three and if only for our defense keeping UGA at bae until they broke contain in the fourth quarter.

And even if you want to say that wasn't a great effort, the defense dominated FSU in every statistical category. It even reflect it in the points. The other is the two missed field goals. It is safe to say Lakip is two of three, we run out the time of that game in the fourth quarter.

Also, just so we are not placing too much credit, NC State scored 31 on FSU, ZERO against us. Boston College went into the Coliseum and upset USC running the ball. We held their running game way under their average and they only converted two third downs on this defense.

Finally, in regards to South Carolina (SC is in California), we would not score as much as we would like but their defense as of right now isn't too difficult to score on. And we can agree that Florida State and Georgia have much better offenses. A stomping would not occur. It will be another low scoring affair based on our defensive strength alone. And by then, many pieces of the offense should be back.

Nice try on the "over-rated rant," but the Clemson defense is pretty legit. And I got a feeling after the bye week, we will find some offense.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic