Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plyler's Blog: Clemson's Top Quarterbacks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Plyler's Blog: Clemson's Top Quarterbacks

Jul 3, 2017, 9:21 AM

Clemson's Top Quarterbacks

Clemson’s Top Quarterbacks
I have been watching Clemson football since 1974 and love the history of this program. Over the next few weeks I am ranking the top players I have seen at each position. Today, lets start with quarterbacks.

I considered players like Mark Fellers, Mike O’Cain,

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Plyler's Blog: Clemson's Top Quarterbacks

Jul 3, 2017, 9:32 AM

Nice write up Mickey. Glad to see you back.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know it's all opinion

Jul 3, 2017, 10:06 AM

but DeChane Cameron should have been in there. I also think T. Boyd should be 2.

Where would you put K. parker?

I know it's all opinion

Jul 3, 2017, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Plyler's Blog: Clemson's Top Quarterbacks ]

but DeChane Cameron should have been in there. I also think T. Boyd should be 2.

Where would you put K. parker?

NOoo Mickey!

Jul 3, 2017, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Plyler's Blog: Clemson's Top Quarterbacks ]

#2 is Homer Jordan just b/c he got Clemson it's FiRST Natty Trophy!!

I understand he didn't have a great overall presence over his tenure and I remember the Maryland game there in 1982 vs Bloomer, and he was pulled (or was it a Game injury) where the Clemson fans booed him..

And his Uncle was sitting among us and he shook his head and said it's what you can do for us today..not a Natty yesterday!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 4, 2017, 8:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Plyler's Blog: Clemson's Top Quarterbacks ]

I agree, nice post. Any list is gonna be debated, but this one seems well reasoned. It comes down to how much weight you put on stats vs championships and success against our rival. One QB not on the list played in the late 60s I think and was nicknamed 'the needle ' for his passing accuracy- Jimmy Addison. I don't remember his stats, but he was a great pocket passer.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tajh should not be ahead of Whitehurst and Harper is not...

Jul 3, 2017, 11:04 AM

Top 10

based on college performance yeah Tajh should be ahead of..

Jul 3, 2017, 11:48 AM

Whitehurst. Watson and Fuller are the only QB's who you can point out there resume was better.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

USC FAIL!***

Jul 3, 2017, 12:14 PM

I was wondering how long many posts it would take before

Jul 3, 2017, 7:27 PM [ in reply to Tajh should not be ahead of Whitehurst and Harper is not... ]

someone blurted this out. Tajh was much, much better than Whitehurst, but some people just can't look past the record against the Coots. Of course the 3 SC teams that Tajh played against went a combined 33-6 while the 4 coot teams that Whitehurst beat went 23-24.

Tajh and company would've absolutely smashed those coot teams that Whitehurst beat.

Jul 3, 2017, 11:18 AM

Interesting idea. I look forward to the rest. However, I personally think it's a reach to say Boyd isn't #2.

Jul 3, 2017, 11:36 AM

Cullen Harper got all his stats on bubble screens. He couldn't really make any other throws well. Just can't make him a top 10 QB for that. I'd have D. Cameron and K. Parker ahead of them.

I think Boyd despite his flaws is the #2 guys with Fuller a close 3rd.

Dechane Cameron should be in over Cullen Harper

Jul 3, 2017, 11:45 AM

Overall list is pretty spot on

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^ This Gentleman is CORRECT!^^^^

Jul 3, 2017, 11:51 AM

Probably 9th - ahead of both Steeter and Harper.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Cullen Harper was on his way to greatness before injuring

Jul 3, 2017, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Dechane Cameron should be in over Cullen Harper ]

shoulder diving for a td and a win against ? (big time opponent)

Boyd deserves to be ahead of Fuller

Jul 3, 2017, 11:55 AM

Stats and wins over bigger programs bear it out.

Re: Boyd deserves to be ahead of Fuller

Jul 3, 2017, 12:08 PM

not a knock at Tajh (or any other QB), but its almost impossible to overstate what steve fuller meant to this program. he was the first big name (would have been a 5 star for you star gazers) recruit and the cornerstone of the revitalization of CU football in the 70's. and on top of that, he could flat out PLAY.

Re: Boyd deserves to be ahead of Fuller

Jul 3, 2017, 7:02 PM

I totally agree masked tiger!! Guess you had to see him play to understand just how good he was!

I have Boyd ahead of Fuller, but I get Fuller as being ahead

Jul 3, 2017, 12:15 PM [ in reply to Boyd deserves to be ahead of Fuller ]

Boyd had Nuke, Sammy, Martavis, and D. Allen. Those are some of the greatest pass catching options in school history. Fuller never had weapons of that caliber. However, I give Boyd credit for giving those guys the ball in places where they could do something with it. Plus, Boyd was a tremendous leader and is almost as responsible for the Clemson culture as Dabo is IMO.

dwight clark and jerry butler ain't bad***

Jul 3, 2017, 6:42 PM

Fuller had Butler so he had one great target.***

Jul 3, 2017, 9:03 PM [ in reply to I have Boyd ahead of Fuller, but I get Fuller as being ahead ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard to compare different eras with drastically different

Jul 3, 2017, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Boyd deserves to be ahead of Fuller ]

styles of football, but I saw them both and Fuller would have flourished in the modern day spread offense. Playing when he did, in the offense he played in, dramatically limited Fuller's stats. Boyd probably had a stronger arm, but not by much; Fuller could sling it too. Both were great QBs, and a case could be made for both.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

And Fuller didn't go 0-3 against the coots. Sure, Tahj had

Jul 3, 2017, 7:18 PM

bigger numbers, but Fuller's would have been just as big in that offense. Fuller wouldn't have gotten shook up when things went bad, as was the case a few times with Tahj.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2017, 12:27 PM

Might have to agree with Mickey on this one as far as the top 2. Fuller wasn't utilized near enough for the talent he had. I have to look at the supporting cast that he had vs the other QB's on the list. Clemson lost the 2nd game of the year to uga at uga by 12 points. After that they were done for in consideration for any "big" NYD game when really they should have been playing someone for the title that year. The impact that Fuller had on the Clemson program at that time can't be underplayed. It was huge and a large part of why we're where we are today.

Also, LBB is correct, Homer should be up there just because of Natty win. I'd put Jordan at #3 which would put Boyd at #4. Tough call for sure, but TB had the supporting cast... and the best Coach in America!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2017, 1:21 PM

Great Post. I must agree with the placement of Fuller as number 2. I was a student when he played, and for those young enough and saw him play, would recognize him for his ability. Also, as others mentioned he was a big reason we became relevant on the national stage again. Without Fuller no "The Catch" no '78 Gator Bowl, no '78 bowl win against tosu.

However, although the whole team wasn't loaded with 4 & 5 star players, he had a couple of decent receivers. Jerry "The Catch" Butler, 1 pro bowl 9 season. Oh, and Dwight "The Catch" Clark, the SF 49's retired his jersey.

Safe and happy 4th to all !

Jul 3, 2017, 1:36 PM

At 49 yrs old, I too have been watching since '74. It has been quite a ride, hasn't it?

Haper certainly had a good Jr. year, but I thought his Sr. yr was a pretty big dissapointment. I would pull him out and put Greene at 10. I can't argue with the rest of the list. Those are some great memories.

Pretty close MP, switch Homer and Charlie

Jul 3, 2017, 4:16 PM

and put Nealon in over Streeter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Homer is right where he blongs IMHO ...

Jul 3, 2017, 5:03 PM

To me Homer is right where he belongs. He was a great fit for that team, in that particular year. The next season, not so much.

Homer wasn't a great QB, he was just the "right" QB fot the Clemson team in 1981.

May have had another NC if Homer had been there

Jul 3, 2017, 9:01 PM

87-90.

every one of us can agree on one thing

Jul 4, 2017, 12:39 AM

No disputing the top QB in program history thus far

Whwn discussing "targets"

Jul 4, 2017, 2:23 PM

I find it strange thap people even mention Dwight Clark. Yes, he had a pretty good career in the League but was hardly a blimp on the radar while he was a Tiger. I take nothing away from him because he was a talented guy but an afterthough in college. Clark caught exactly 33 more passes and 3 touchdowns than me.

Re: Whwn discussing "targets"

Jul 9, 2017, 1:30 PM

Remember several of these QB's played in a run-oriented pro-set or I formation offense. No telling what Fuller's stats or Whitehurst's would have been playing in Dabo's spread offense.

No Will Cockter?***

Jul 5, 2017, 11:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic