Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Spurrier Leaving
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Spurrier Leaving

Nov 25, 2012, 7:19 AM

When Spurrier leaves (and it will be sooner than later...his beach house in Ponte Vedra is now finished - with Florida blue tile nonetheless) SC will recall their days of old. It's a dump of a place to live and coach and VERY few coaches can get it done there.

Remember Lou Holtz couldn't do it. And remember there aren't anymore Steve Spurriers left in the coaching world.

Wouldn't surprise me if Spurrier leaves this year or at the end of next. He's done everything and holds all the records. There's nothing left to accomplish as he fully realizes SC will never win a championship.

I for one will be glad when he's gone.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would say after 2013 season hes done!

Nov 25, 2012, 7:21 AM

nm

maybe, but I think he stays longer. Maybe

Nov 25, 2012, 8:21 AM

Petrino will be available as toxic as he now is.

I think he is the best coach in football.

I wish he would stay and we could hire an experienced HC too

Nov 25, 2012, 7:27 AM

that could beat him.

I hate to say this but, Spurrier has proven SC can win big

in the SEC. They finished in the Top 10 last year and have a great shot at doing it again this season. That and being in the SEC will be very enticing. With SEC money, they will be able to hire another VERY good coach. For us to hang our hat on Spurrier retiring, hoping that Tanner won't recognize a winner for their next Head Coach, is a losers game. Instead of wishing that Tanner screw up that hire, we need to figure out how Clemson will ever again have a breakthrough season. It has been 22 years since Clemson has finished in the Top 10.

I hope He sticks around until we beat him

If he leaves and the Coots go downhill then that will be just one less team that we can look good by beating them. We should hope for better competition, not more roll over teams. You don't get much in the National standings by playing Duke type teams. Our team just needs a lot of improvement. We need to play consistently good

Re: I hope He sticks around until we beat him

Nov 25, 2012, 7:32 AM

Better competition? We can't even beat the two top 10 teams we played this season,and you want better competition.

Re: Spurrier Leaving

Nov 25, 2012, 7:30 AM

Why,that's wishful thinking.He could make a career out of beating Dabo till he's in his 90's.

Re: Re: Spurrier Leaving

Nov 25, 2012, 7:49 AM

They were thinking this was going to be the year. Regardless of the schedule you still have to match up against Bama in the championship game.

South Carolina will get left with Spurrier Jr, whom daddy wouldn't even let call plays while he was there.

Re: Re: Spurrier Leaving

Nov 25, 2012, 1:35 PM

"South Carolina will get left with Spurrier Jr, whom daddy wouldn't even let call plays while he was there."

What school would be stupid enough to promote a wide receiver coach who's never even been a coordinator to head coach? That's just crazy.

SOS has stated many times that, so long as he's winning, he

Nov 25, 2012, 8:02 AM

will continue coaching. He has promised his 2013 QB commit, Connor Mitch, that he will stay on for at least 3 years after Mitch enrolls at Carolina.

SOS makes over $3 million dollars/year without incentives added on. Our BOT has set this HC's salary thing in such a way that we will be able to pay a coach 4-5 million $$$ without causing too much of a stir from the Shandon liberals and faculty sore heads.

I will say this: when he goes, it will be swift. That's the way he operates, however our alums and fans like winning. We made a promise to the SEC that, when we cleaned up our bad coaching hire act (Sparky and Scott), we would put forth a 100% effort to compete in the SEC. That's what we've done since we hired Lou and that's what we'll do in the future.

Plus, Ray Tanner has Steve's back. Steve is a big fan of Ray

Nov 25, 2012, 8:08 AM

and President Pastides (who is a huge booster of the athletic program). The work environment for Spurrier has never been better anywhere, including at Florida.

Re: Plus, Ray Tanner has Steve's back. Steve is a big fan of Ray

Nov 25, 2012, 10:18 AM

YES.. their entire admin is behind him 100%.. he can do anything he wants.. no illegal thing he can get away with will bring him any problems.. HGH, Creatine,Roids.. whatever he wants!!don`t go to class; thats OK.. pay players and their parents.. all OK..our admin does what it can to HINDER our athletic programs!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unless they hire some inexperienced guy with no head

Nov 25, 2012, 8:06 AM

coaching experience who can't put a staff together, I'd say the lure of the SEC and ESPN will keep them pretty good

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2012, 8:16 AM

Steve is in it for himself and if you think differently, then you need to ask MasterTile in Jacksonville what color tile Jerri picked out for his new house.

Spurrier awarding himself a gameball saying, "we haven't done that around here before, think I'm gonna give myself the ball" is proof in the pudding. Spurrier doesn't give a rip about SC.

44Gamecock: of course SC will pay every dime it has for a new coach. The problem is...who are you going to get??? Sabah isn't coming. If two of the best coaches of all time can't win a championship, then who is? It won't happen at SC. Bottom line.

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself. Let those

Nov 25, 2012, 8:27 AM

thoughts keep you warm during the winter. Regardless it won't change the outcome of last night's game.

Nov 25, 2012, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Plus, Ray Tanner has Steve's back. Steve is a big fan of Ray ]

> Steve is in it for himself and if you think
> differently, then you need to ask MasterTile in
> Jacksonville what color tile Jerri picked out for his
> new house.
>
> Spurrier awarding himself a gameball saying, "we
> haven't done that around here before, think I'm gonna
> give myself the ball" is proof in the pudding.
> Spurrier doesn't give a rip about SC.
>
> 44Gamecock: of course SC will pay every dime it has
> for a new coach. The problem is...who are you going
> to get??? Sabah isn't coming. If two of the best
> coaches of all time can't win a championship, then
> who is? It won't happen at SC. Bottom line.

As long as Saban is at Bama and Miles is at LSU, what does it matter winning the conference championship in the SEC? The whole football world knows that in order to be considered 'elite' in college football you need only be in the Top 5 of the SEC.

When you're winning 10-11 games a year and playing football in the NFLjr, believe me, that championship trophy will come, eventually. If not, you're still 'elite' in the eyes of the football world AND you will beat your in-state rival from a lesser conference at least 4 out of 5 times.

All smack talk aside, truly believe this: at the University of South Carolina, we are NEVER 'going back' to the way things once were. Never. Regardless of how much money or effort it takes to get there.

Nov 25, 2012, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Plus, Ray Tanner has Steve's back. Steve is a big fan of Ray ]

> Steve is in it for himself and if you think
> differently, then you need to ask MasterTile in
> Jacksonville what color tile Jerri picked out for his
> new house.
>
> Spurrier awarding himself a gameball saying, "we
> haven't done that around here before, think I'm gonna
> give myself the ball" is proof in the pudding.
> Spurrier doesn't give a rip about SC.
>
> 44Gamecock: of course SC will pay every dime it has
> for a new coach. The problem is...who are you going
> to get??? Sabah isn't coming. If two of the best
> coaches of all time can't win a championship, then
> who is? It won't happen at SC. Bottom line.

SOS and his wife BOTH went to school at Florida. If he wants to make some kind of tribute to the old school by tiling the wall above his toilet, so be it! While he's at the University of South Carolina, all we want him to do is 'just win, anyway'. How he decorates his house is a personal matter.

Nov 25, 2012, 8:18 AM

I think you need to focus on getting Dabo and his lack luster ###. coaches out, rather than Spurrier. You are just mad that we lost again, and putting the blame on someone else!!

With SEC money, they can pay a good coach a butt load.***

Nov 25, 2012, 8:29 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not likely and only wishful thinking as Spurrier has

Nov 25, 2012, 9:38 AM

done the hard work now in building a solid team. Doubt he would pass up the "fun" part of beating up on a few SEC teams for few years now.

And don't be too hard on Lou's work at SC he recouped the disaster of the Brad Scott years to a mid-level SEC program.

Spurrier has taken off.

He will be around at least 10 more years

Nov 25, 2012, 9:59 AM

We better figure out how to beat him or he will even the series

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He will be around at least 10 more years

Nov 25, 2012, 10:05 AM

It is getting bad when we start wishing about a rival coach leaving. I think we need to start wishing we played in a tougher league so we could really know what we have in a football team.

Nov 25, 2012, 10:12 AM

scoreboard!!

Nov 25, 2012, 10:14 AM

Of course Spurrier is in it for himself. Most coaches are. No matter how much they spew about their program they are mercenaries. They, including Dabo, have much less of an emotional tie to the achool than the fans do. I guarantee you that the thing Dabo regrets most about last nights loss is that it hurts him that he cannot win a big game, and lessena his chances of being in the mix when Saban leaves Bama. Coaches love the big money their current job pays, but are always looking for a better gig.

As far as USC. They will be able to attract a big time coach. Spurrier has elevated that program to where it is very attractive. I guarantee you this......they wont settle for promoting some wide receivers coach with no experience.

Nov 25, 2012, 10:18 AM

Pitiful.

You Tigers continue to think this football affair is a zero-sum game and that our recent success is an anomaly. I don't wish to throw it in your face or gloat about it, but the trend is clear. Clemson could win 10 ACC championships and it wouldn't amount to winning an SEC division. You'll recall our dismantling of the current SEC East champion...

We have unfinished business. And with a difficult SEC schedule again next year (and years to come) - we will.

Best of luck against LSU (presumably) - you'll need it.

Nov 25, 2012, 10:27 AM

It's kind of tough when your best hope is for your rivals' coach to leave.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2012, 10:27 AM

Spurrier won't leave as long as he's winning. He is finally getting the players, most of all QB's, he needs to compete for a SEC title. He's really enjoying coaching right now but when he does leave he will leave a program that any good/great coach would take over in a second.

Nov 25, 2012, 10:46 AM

Say what you want to, but Spurrier has built this team from the bottom up.Just in the last 2 years they have lost their best players and he has been able to plug another one in their place an keep winning.How many teams that lose their Heisman RB and starting QB and continue to win against good teams?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2012, 10:39 AM

Maybe... he has built a good foundation at SCar though. With SEC money, I doubt it will be hard to get another good coach in there.

having the record for career wins at usc isnt saying much***

Nov 25, 2012, 10:49 AM

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic