Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Playoff remake
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Playoff remake

Jul 17, 2018, 7:56 PM

First things first I like the playoff the way it is, but each year there seems to be one or two teams on the outside looking in that has a valid point for expecting to be in the playoff.. Such as TCU in 2014, OSU in 2015, USC/PSU in 2016 and UCF/Wisconsin or even OSU in 2017.

Could we do a 6 team play off? You have the #1 and #2 seed get a "bye" week while #3 & #6 play and #4 & #5 play, winners of those games will then go against #1 & #2 then the next game will be for the national championship. It lets those teams who slipped up but still have the talent to compete get their chance but still gives the teams who earned the top spots pick where they play and have an extra week to prepare. Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Playoff remake

Jul 17, 2018, 8:29 PM

If you think you have one or two teams just on the outside looking in, expand it to 6 teams and you will have even more teams just outside looking in.

Unless you go to a full blown playoff (say 16 teams) like I-AA use to (I know it’s fcs now) leave it alone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2018, 8:38 PM

I don't think so because we haven't seen any years arguing 3-4 teams that should be in, it tends to be just one maybe two.

Jul 17, 2018, 9:29 PM

So Bama and another team get a bye like Bama did last year. Not have to play in the conference champ game was a huge advantage for them. Should never of happened. I like the 8 team but 6 would be ok.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2018, 9:36 PM

I think 8 is too much, then you have 2-3 loss teams getting a chance and regular season games start meaning less and less.

Jul 17, 2018, 10:19 PM

Exactly Seth. Also if 8 teams were in then seeds 5-8 would most likely be teams who just lost their conference championship games to seeds 1-4 who won their conference. Except Notre Dame obviously. That would create immediate rematches possibly which nobody wants to see, and it would effect fair seeding if they wanted to avoid rematches which just isn’t right. I like the 4. I’ve been telling people since the playoffs started that the conference championship games are just about a quarter final. Not every time but most. Last year the ACC, SEC, and the big10 (at the time it was played) all looked like the winner would be in playoff so that’s what makes the conference champ games awesome.

Jul 18, 2018, 12:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Playoff remake ]

I think OSU didn't play in their conference championship in 2016 (when CLEMSON beat OSU 31-0) and PSU got the shaft after winning their CCG.

If they remain at 4 teams, then NO TEAM should be in the playoff that did not win their conference CG. Otherwise, I like 8 teams to eliminate the chatter. If you're not ranked higher than #9, then just shut up and not complain.

Jul 18, 2018, 6:45 AM

There is to much jocking around for the final positions as it is when people decide who gets in. At some point, the games on the field has to decide who gets in. Force teams into conferences and let the true playoffs begin.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2018, 9:38 PM

I would like to see a 6 team playoff but my idea and goal is a little different than what you are saying!!! I want 6 teams but all 6 to be champions!!! No at large berths!!! No humans deciding!!!

5 Power 5 conference champions if they play a conference championship game and then the champion of the non-power 5 schools (make the top two highest ranked non power 5 championions play a non-power 5 championship game and the winner is in...period).

Basically with this set up you have a 12 team playoff with the conference championship games serving as first round games!!!

This ensures that everyone has a chance to get in...people don’t decide...games do...not adding games to the schedule except the first round of the playoffs...it isn’t geographically biased...the entire country is involved...tv should love this IAH!!!

You would never get two teams from the same conference...just my opinion!!!

Jul 18, 2018, 1:02 AM

So with that Notre Dame can never make a playoff, also unfair to force them into a conference when they tend to play one of the hardest schedules in the country year in and out.

Understand the logic

Jul 18, 2018, 7:57 AM

But I think most years there are no more than 4 teams that can win a championship and the separation between 4-6 is a lot greater than the separation from 6-10 so you’d have a lot more teams complaining that they should’ve been in over x team when in reality neither of those teams has the quality to win a title.

Jul 18, 2018, 8:56 AM

When 5 of your 6 teams are champions, 2 teams receiving a bye is too valuable to be decided by polls. Giving a team a week off to prepare for an opponent is a huge advantage that late in the season. I agree that 6 teams is ideal, but prefer 8 because no one gets a week off.

null

I'd rather go ahead and make the move to 8 but at the

Jul 18, 2018, 12:41 PM

expense of the league championship games.

All Power 5 Regular Season champs get auto-bids. Would allow for divisions to go by the wayside thus more frequent games against other league teams.

3 At-Large from the rest. NO auto bid for Group of 5. If they are ranked high enough and are selected then great.

Have the NY6 and CFP bowl selection show the Sunday night after rivalry weekend games. 8 playoff teams are announced and location of those games. Also, four NY6 participant teams would be announced that did not make the CFP, but NOT assigned their destination. One of those four could be a Group of 5 placeholder for after their championship games, or they could get rid of divisions also and skip those.

Move the Army / Navy game up a week to the first Saturday, plus Group of 5 championship games. If a G5 team were chosen for the CFP they would skip out.

This Sunday after announce the rest of the bowl schedule.

Round 1 of CFP is "Conference Championship Weekend" with the 5 P5 winners plus 3 at-large in 4 games. This takes place the 2nd Saturday in December, or Friday plus 3 on Saturday.

The Sunday afternoon following, announce the NY6 and CFP semis line-up. The four losing teams from the night prior would be pooled in with the original NY6 four chosen and divvied up into those four games. The semis matchups would be assigned as well from the winneers of last night's games.

Boom. No divisions = better conference schedules. Post-season rematches are minimized. Plenty of time for all participating programs to prepare for next games. No fan base gets a jump on NY6 travel / tickets because they're all assigned at the same time.

I like it at 4. It's better than 2 and I found that I pay more attention to more football elsewhere in the country because of the limited field size. But I love the benefits that 8 provides if it allows for the regular season to determine league champs.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic