Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Playoff Expansion Propsal - it is Needed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Playoff Expansion Propsal - it is Needed

Jan 2, 2020, 10:35 PM

I have not seen this suggestion to date. This, IMHO, would be the best way to crown a National Champion if CFB.

Expanded Playoff Proposal

The expanded playoff, in order to be fully committed to crowning a true National Champion in College Football, will require a few changes to occur. These changes should be structured to ensure the number of CFB games that can be played will not exceed 15 games per season, as is presently played. The following changes would meet this requirement, crown a true National Champion, AND allow for Conference bragging rights:

Conference Championship

1) Remove divisions from Conference alignment. Conference Championship will be between the two best teams within the conference. Yes, this could possibly mean a repeat game such as Clemson vs FSU if those are the two BEST teams in the conference.

2) Conference to structure “tie-breaker” scenarios to match top two teams for Conference Championship.

3) The winner of the Conference Championship is the Conference Champion and will move to a playoff berth.

Conference Scheduling

1) Conference CFB schedules limited to 11 regular season games per year. Conference must play at minimum 8 conference games. Minimum of 1 Out Of Conference game must be against another Power 5 team.

Playoff Structure

1) Playoff structure begins with Conference Championship games (12th game). Conference Champions move to the next playoff game to be structured against other Conference Champions.

2) Football Independents must join a Conference.

3) Power Five: ACC / SEC / PAC 12 / Big 10 / Big 12 designated as automatic seeding conferences.

4) Lower Tier Division I: American / Conference USA / Mid-American / Mountain West / Sun Belt
a.These Conferences will be represented by the three (3) highest ranked teams AFTER Conference Championship is played and will move to the second round Playoff against Power Five opponents.

5) 5 Power Five and 3 Lower Tier Division I teams participating will allow 8 teams to be reduced to 4 with 13th game.

6) 4 remaining teams play and reduce to 2 (14th game).

7) Championship between last two remaining team (15th game).

Secondary Playoff

1) Conference runner-up, following the same seeding previously outlined, play each other in regular Bowl Games.

2) Secondary Playoff Bowl Structure should match opponents of comparable strength against each other. Team rankings after Conference Championship to determine schedule. Two highest ranked Conference runner-ups play each other, and so on until all runner-ups have been match comparably.

3) There is no other game scheduled among teams in this runner up category.

Summary

This structure will match Conference Champions against Conference Champions. No ranking system to impede any Conference from having equal opportunity to win the CFB National Championship. It will also allow Conference #2’s to play their Conference counterparts.
This Playoff proposal is not intended to remove Bowl game possibilities from other teams.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: Playoff Expansion Propsal - it is Needed

Jan 2, 2020, 10:42 PM

And heres a factor, and a #### good one to how it doesnt. This year, there were 3 legit teams to win, now there are 2. Last year, you could argue for 5-6, but it still came down to us-Bammer. Heres the problem with expansion that noone has talked about. If at 8, the first 4 games are at higher seed home stadiums, so now my season tickets dont matter for 1st round CFP game and i (along with thousands of others) get booted out of OUR seats, have to pay some exponentially stupid number to more than likely sit in the upperdeck of our stadium, along with adding getting booted out of our parking spots that cost a literal crap ton of money to keep. Theres more and more to add to this but its late and after today being the most mondayest thursday in the history of forever, i just wanna go to bed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2020, 10:46 PM

Please justify why this expansion is needed.

How many teams not in the playoffs had a legitimate chance? How many more really bad semi-final games do we need? Who wants to watch the top seeds destroy G5 teams in round 1?

Jan 2, 2020, 11:15 PM

Thank you, I'd rather beat my head against a tree than watch Utah and Baylor in a playoff game

Jan 2, 2020, 11:01 PM

One fly in the ointment of your plan: I doubt the Power 5 teams will agree to give up a game to reduce the regular season from 12 to 11 games.

I don't see why the playoffs need to be expanded.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2020, 11:13 PM

I agree. I like the conference championships. It works for 4. That works for me until such time Clemson gets screwed out of a chance.

The only thing that happens in an expansion, sec gets two slots every year... Defeats the purpose of 4 best teams. With expansion to 8, the 9th team will whine.

My only regret is this didn't happen 40 years ago. Then you wouldn't have ended up with paper champions.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2020, 11:16 PM

if you read the description, it eliminates the possibility of 2 teams from one conference.

Jan 2, 2020, 11:06 PM

I know you put alot of time into this, Jim Harbaugh came up with the best plan I've seen... and I still don't think we need more than 4.

Message was edited by: JPF16®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That sounds fantastic. Too bad folks who are mired in the

Jan 2, 2020, 11:12 PM

status quo are blind to the problems with the current system, and defend it with one silly excuse after another. Time to stop pretending that the current system is the best we can do, and that somehow we can accurately and fairly judge which teams are better than others. Time to eliminate as much subjectivity as possible, and have as much earned and settled on the field as possible.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jan 2, 2020, 11:14 PM

So if I am reading all of this overly complex stuff correctly, your plan (if implemented for this year) would leave #5 Georgia, #7 Baylor, and #8 Wisconsin at home and would put in their place # 17 Memphis, #19 Boise State, and #20 App State.

And you think this would lead to high quality CFP games in the first round ?? What is it that you are trying to accomplish with this expansion ?? Cause I ain't seeing it.

It's pretty simple. Playoff spots are earned by winning,

Jan 2, 2020, 11:30 PM

and meeting clear-cut requirements. No more pretending that committees, poll voters, or anybody can know who the best or most deserving teams are.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: It's pretty simple. Playoff spots are earned by winning,

Jan 2, 2020, 11:37 PM

See where you're going but just look at what's happening in basketball. More and more teams. It's just not feasible in football. As I said up top, what do you do with number 9?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's still not perfect, and never could be unless all

Jan 2, 2020, 11:56 PM

teams were rearranged into 8 conferences. It's just a lot better than what we have now.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: It's pretty simple. Playoff spots are earned by winning,

Jan 2, 2020, 11:43 PM [ in reply to It's pretty simple. Playoff spots are earned by winning, ]

You still have to rely on some type of rankings system.

No offense to anyone but I got pummeled a month ago for stating Utah wasn't that good... Everyone was saying they were the top 4th team. How'd that turn out?

Anyone want to bet straight up against any top 3 this year would do to Oregon or wisky? And remember, o41o beat wisky 35-7 in the first game. Heck, I'd take Bama without Tua ahead of any other 5-12 team.

The ranking system would only come into play for the

Jan 3, 2020, 12:00 AM

3 group of 5 teams. The winners of the 5 major conferences would automatically take 5 slots; no "selection" needed there.

- H. L. Mencken

Jan 2, 2020, 11:16 PM

at least be smart enough to know when to present an idea. If there has been a year that screams no expansion it is this year. your argument is doa

Because Oklahoma showed that teams beyond

Jan 2, 2020, 11:45 PM

the initial top 3 are so competitive? If anything this was the year a 2 loss Alabama should have been it IF that had Tua. No we do not need to expand. I finally saw the light myself. It's not worth an extra playoff game the top teams would have to play.

Re: Because Oklahoma showed that teams beyond

Jan 3, 2020, 12:18 AM

feraltyger said:

the initial top 3 are so competitive? If anything this was the year a 2 loss Alabama should have been it IF that had Tua. No we do not need to expand. I finally saw the light myself. It's not worth an extra playoff game the top teams would have to play.

NO expansion needed.

Conference Champs are boulchit. Unfair to teams that play in competitive conferences while some teams almost get a bye.

Yep, had Tua not been injured certainly bama woudda deserved to be in the top 4, and 2 SEC teams woudda deserved to be in.

The horribleness of this idea . . .

Jan 3, 2020, 12:37 AM

could go on for chapters upon chapters without any repetition, but let's just go with some easy ones . . .

LSU just *murdered* the 4-seed, beat the smack (27 points) out of the #5 team a few weeks back, and the three "lower tier teams" that would get spots in this system (presumably Memphis, Boise, and App State), are ranked #'s 15, 18, and 20, below such obviously less deserving teams as Oregon, Wisconsin, Florida, Penn State, Alabama and Michigan. Why anyone would think this would solve more problems than it creates, or create more questions than it answers, is a mystery.

If you think there's controversy and interesting debates, NOW, wait until the Oregon's, Alabama's and Florida's of the world are watching Appalachian State and Boise play for a national championship instead of them. What could go wrong? eh? Who could possibly object? It would be so clean and clear, right? Ha! Hardly.

Re: Because Oklahoma showed that teams beyond

Jan 3, 2020, 12:19 AM [ in reply to Because Oklahoma showed that teams beyond ]

feraltyger said:

NO expansion needed.

Conference Champs are boulchit. Unfair to teams that play in competitive conferences while some teams almost get a bye.

Yep, had Tua not been injured certainly bama woudda deserved to be in the top 4, and 2 SEC teams woudda deserved to be in.

I don’t think non-power five teams should be in.

Jan 3, 2020, 12:38 AM

Power 5 and Group of 5 should each have their own division, with their own playoff system and championship game.

As much as I hate the SEC bias, I don’t see how anyone can argue that any group of 5 team this year is better than a team like Alabama.

And I don’t think a team like Alabama, who couldn’t even win their own division, much less their own conference, deserves to play for a national championship.

Keep the playoffs at 4 teams. It’s working just fine as is.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I don’t think non-power five teams should be in.

Jan 3, 2020, 7:40 AM

If you can’t win your conference, you should have no chance to make the playoffs Take the human bias vote out of it. Ex. This year the teams may be right, but the wrong order. CU vs OSU may be the championship game played early. However, they did play.

Play 8 conference games and then three out of conference power 5 games. No more than two against the same conference. Force teams to actually play meaningful games.

It a conference doesn’t like not having al and lsu in the same division , let them worry about that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2020, 12:59 AM

To make it short, the CFP is to crown the national champion ....... not to find the eight best teams.. Therefore, the committee really only has to identify the two best teams and hopefully the best 3rd and 4th team. If the best team is in the top 4 then chances are great that they will become the champions ..... and like this year and last year the two best teams will either play in the semi final or finals.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Plan Is The Best, It Is ...

Jan 3, 2020, 1:01 AM

Winner of each Conference goes to the playoffs (10 teams)

There will be six wildcards outside of Conference Champions (6 teams)

Sweet 16 of College Football

Keeps rankings relevant

FIFTEEN Bowl Games in the Championship series, that surely helps keep Bowls relevant

As for the argument "too many games", I guffaw. My hunch is that many of the student-athletes first priority is the Football, and many leave the College game as soon as eligible anyway.

Heck, its only two more possible games ... those Independents are a problem though ... make them join a Conference since it does not matter what Conference, Champion goes to the playoffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My Plan Is The Best, It Is ...

Jan 3, 2020, 1:20 AM

Ill throw my plan out again. 10 Division Champs and 6 at large. 1 G5 5 best othet teams. Seeded 1st round games in place of Conf Chapionships at top 8 homes. Next round 2 weeks later after exams. Could be Conf Champ sites/Bowls. Then semis and NC as played now. If 1 additional game is too much eliminate FCS games and implement some type of revenue sharing from addl playoff games.

The Divisions would be all 8 teams. ND, BYU, Army and Navy would have to join a conf Div of 8. Divisions realigned at least every 5 years based on avg Conf ranking for the 5 years. Div A gets 1,4,5,7,9,11,13,16 ; Div B gets 2,3,6,8,10,12,14,15

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Needed? another ESPN subconciously-spoon-fed narrative

Jan 3, 2020, 5:01 AM

To any Clemson fan advocating expansion: who or what is predominately responsible for informing your perspective on the CFP & led you to the fallacy?"expansion is needed"? Powerful tools of persuasion at work?

All you've done is move the subjectivity further back...

Jan 3, 2020, 5:34 AM

and gotten potentially deserving teams eliminated even earlier in favor of seeing G5 teams get BTFOd and three of the top five getting what amounts to a first round bye.

In divisionless 14 team conferences, you could easily have cockamamie tie-breakers breaking ties between teams with three whole games of overlap in their conference schedule, and since a team that doesn't make their championship game has no path to the playoff, you've eliminated potentially deserving teams from the equation.

You've also managed to destroy the history of the Rose Bowl entirely, virtually ensuring they never get the Pac-12/B1G matchup they want, force Notre Dame into a conference against their will, and erased any semblance of conference autonomy.

The fact that the usual suspects are cheering this proposal exposes that they really just want an eight team playoff, and don't much care about how we get there.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2020, 7:15 AM

No

Jan 3, 2020, 7:19 AM

It is NOT needed. Have you seen the bowl games the last few years? It's bad football period.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic