Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Virginia Cavaliers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Virginia Cavaliers

Dec 4, 2019, 6:25 AM

Ok. Enough talk about the national media. Someone with solid X's and O's knowledge, gimme some good stuff about the game. The only thing I know is that their QB is dynamic. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the rest of their team? Which aspects/players on their defense can give us trouble? How are they in both trenches? Something. Anything actually football related. :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

41-10... Dabo takes it easy.***

Dec 4, 2019, 6:32 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Virginia Cavaliers

Dec 4, 2019, 6:36 AM

Basics.

Solid D line and better against the run D than pass D

Average passing game and below average pass defense.

QB has dynamic capabilities but not top end explosive. Meaning he runs and passes a lot does a lot for the team but as an example rush/attempt in 2019 is 3.5

Dec 4, 2019, 6:53 AM

Awesome. Thanks! Seems like they used to run a 3-4 defense years ago. That still the case?

Dec 4, 2019, 8:38 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to see BV change our D scheme some in this game like we have seen on another occasion with special blitz packages, and situational changes from our norm that are different looks than we've shown in the past. That gives their OC nightmares, because they don't recognize what's coming. Just a thought, and we've done it before.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BV will scheme UVA like we did Texas A&M. We will spy on

Dec 4, 2019, 8:39 AM

their QB with Simmons or Muse, and take away the thing they like to do best, which is get their QB involved with his legs to open up the pass. Ive thought all year that BV gave the blueprint on how to shut down Kellen Mond. We frustrated him all day and baited him into rushing his throws.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Playing in an awful division masks their true colors.

Dec 4, 2019, 9:52 AM

If Simmons spies their QB Perkins, they won't score against our starters. If he doesn't, he could extend drives with his legs and limit our possession time a little. Both he and their leading RB Taulapapa (awesome name) have bad averages but lots of TDs. Offensive line is not great. It shouldn't be hard to keep them away from the red zone and limit their scoring opportunities. In short yardage, they might roll the dice on 4th down.

Passing the ball, Perkins has 100ish more attempts than Lawrence for only about 100 more yards, a full 2 yards less per attempt (9.1 vs 7.1), 14 fewer TDs and 1 more INT. Aforementioned bad O-line has given up a whopping 36 sacks (we've given up 11). Not worried. They do have three guys over 55 catches, so he does a decent job spreading the ball around. From a balance standpoint, they pass 52.2% of the time whereas we run 53.5% of the time.

Their defense is nothing to write home about other than excellent sack production: 43, second-most in the ACC, fifth-most in the nation and more than our 36. We kill them in turnover margin: +11 to even. Bryce Hall unfortunately had season-ending ankle surgery; he's a pre-season All American, 1st round draft pick kind of corner. We won't have any issues moving the ball on them.

Ultimately I don't think their OC beats Venables in the game of chess, and Trevor and Travis have their way with that defense, other than a drive or two that stalls due to a sack/pressure. We win easy, we win big, same old, same old.

Clemson 45, UVA 13

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Playing in an awful division masks their true colors.

Dec 4, 2019, 10:16 AM

This is spot on.

Think of Perkins as DW4 Lite without the full compliment of receivers. his receivers are very, very good, but not quite on our level. I think if they had more varied truly "great" & dangerous options, he would have better passing numbers. However, they do well with busted plays but I see out LB being their bane. Still ND showed that Perkins can't do it alone.

*Ok* talent but also without depth. Great coaching definitely covers some of that. They are a lot more dependent on turnovers despite being about even for the year. When they face better talent and do not get turnovers, they really do not have the talent horsepower to overwhelm. Worse, I think they will struggle getting the ball behind us based on BV so far and then we will truly out-class them with speed. You saw in the VT game, VT was vastly better athletes outside of Perkins but UVA was better coached. UVA winning was more about VT imploding.

Finally, I agree, UVA struggles with a passing defense but in 2 of the three Ls it was the rushing defense that let them down. UL had 220+ yards of rushing, ND had 150 yards and Miami out-uglied them but won it mostly the air. Really baffling defensive team.

My interesting item is the adjustments out of halftime. It seems like Bronco has them well prepped entering the game and often leads at half by a few (Save for UNC and FSU).... and then he either builds on that or completely becomes unglued in the third. 21 points by VT in the 3rd is the best example, but you can also point to 14 points by ND in the 3rd.

Re: Playing in an awful division masks their true colors.

Dec 4, 2019, 11:49 AM

Very interesting analysis from everyone and much better than talking about the media. Didn't know if they would be similar to the Syracuse teams who have given us trouble with less talent and a slippery, scrappy QB.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic