Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Playcalling observations from a fellow armchair coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 3,334

Playcalling observations from a fellow armchair coach

Nov 12, 2018, 9:24 AM

I understand why we have plays like the jet sweep, screen, HB dive (and other up the gut run combos), etc. Scott and Elliot also rely on these plays heavily. I understand why you might want to keep to a set of skills, but doesn’t this make our offensive gameplan VERY predictable? Are we lulling opposing teams into a trance, before flipping the s cript?

The Jet sweep and quick out route throws give us a dependable 5 yds. approximately. Plus, TLaw has the speed to increase the play productivity. This play needs little to no explanation why it’s a favorite.

Up the gut runs:
Oh, the not so dependable up the gut run.... This play helps develop the RPO but even with our improvements on OL play, it doesn’t seem like these run calls should be so heavily favored.

The screen game:
This is an area that apparently they’ve worked on a lot in the past few weeks, but it hasn’t panned out in recent games. Largely, this play is a risk because you bait the Defense into your pocket (where you risk to our QB and our playoff hopes) then you skip it outside and cross your fingers for a big gain?

Anyway, could quizzel or any other old timers weigh in on why you think our play calling seems so predictable?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Playcalling observations from a fellow armchair coach

Nov 12, 2018, 9:33 AM

I see no logical answer to some of these mundane everybody knows what you're gonna do calls. Our OC's need a little more imagination but their success is hard to question.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell 'em u5c coot

Nov 12, 2018, 9:52 AM

fno

Nov 12, 2018, 9:33 AM

I'm not an old timer but this is my take on play calling.

We had several plays early in the game that were great play calls. TL missed several WRs for what would have been big gains or possible TDs.

We made adjustments and responded with a quick score to start the 2nd half. After that drive and going up 13 points, we didn't exactly stop trying to score but we didn't exactly try to score based on using our best plays. We started showing plays that were very basic and hoping that our execution would allow us to move the ball and score. The same approach in the last several games has resulted in lots of scoring because we dominated the other team physically. BC kept us from dominating physically and so things slowed down. We still had a few plays where there was a chance to score and we just didn't execute well enough.

Once you know the other team is not going to score based on their offense and the game is out of reach of a freak play taking the lead, then there is not reason to show everything you have to get more points.

Went 'vanilla' with a comfortable lead... Agree.***

Nov 12, 2018, 9:42 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I get that, but just keep in mind that’s the same mindset that got the beaks beat

Nov 12, 2018, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Playcalling observations from a fellow armchair coach ]

I know UF is a different animal and our defense was lights out against a “no-hope” BC offense, but still.

Nov 12, 2018, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Playcalling observations from a fellow armchair coach ]

Thanks for the well written response +1

OL play must match!

Nov 12, 2018, 11:40 AM

We have to have the OL play much tougher on some of those plays honestly. They aren't bad play calls "if it's blocked well"!
People forget during Tom Osbornes time at Nebraska they would all but tell you they about to run off right tackle in the B gap. You could load the box and do whatever you wanted; but they still ran it for 6 - 7 yards. Why? B/C it was blocked well!

The OL must pick it up a bit i.m.o if we are to get back to the absolute top of the mountain, period. They have played "Average team well" but not dominate "all the time"! They will need to be more "consistently dominate"! We talk Etienne being more patient waiting for blocks; but the blocks have to be there and have to be decisive!

Plus, pass pro! We need to sure up protecting TL big time. The teams that we hope to be playing late December can get after the QB and we can't mess around with pass protection not being good enough. It's good enough "now"! But, is it going to be good enough then?

So, to surmise, I have no issues with the play calling from a scheme pov. I just think we are not consistently blocking them well. The WR's have gotten better at blocking bubble screens and WR screens though. Now the interior guys have to step up and be "more consistently nasty blockers"!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2018, 9:47 AM

Prior to BC we were winning by a margin of 51 since TL took over. I don’t think there’s too much going on that needs to change yet, it was cold and our OL looked pretty bad at times we needed quick plays.

Nov 12, 2018, 9:51 AM

They better have TL ready to move the pocket and throw on the run , that and he will have to pick up first down with his legs.
If we want to beat Bama we will not run on them and screen passes will only get somebody hurt.
We will have to light them up over the middle and out routes.

My Take: We're 10-0 and Undefeated....

Nov 12, 2018, 9:58 AM

There is nothing more we can do to be number 1 because out our weak schedule. We forget TL is a true freshman than doesn't know everything.

Has it occurred that we we may be holding some things back so when we go to the playoffs we will have a few arrows in our quiver that hasn't been seen?

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

It appears as if we ###### the first 10-15 plays to start

Nov 12, 2018, 10:48 AM

the game on offense. These plays pretty much make up the meat and potatoes of our O, so SCElliot runs'em to see how the D has schemed for us. If you have a base play that has been defended poorly in scheme, then thats a good one to keep runnin' til they adjust. More likely, you see the things that the D has schemed for well and now that you've seen their tendencies can adjust playcalling to work those tendencies against them. Truthfully, our playbook doesn't seem all that complex right now, it's no secret to Def. Coordinators what we do. Are SCElliot holding the complexity down to help Trevor, or to reveal as little as possible for the post-season? Don't really know, but we're beating the heck out of our regular season schedule with some very vanilla playcalling.

Ultimately, I think this offense is a QBs dream; it's design can give him an absurd amount of control for a college QB. Think of Deshaun's third year vs. his freshman year. He was calling plays on the fly pretty regularly and working matchups like a veteran NFL guy. It's a simple scheme, but it gives the QB a LOT of flexibility.

I think the vanilla playcalling is mainly a product of Trevor learning how to be the puppetmaster, so start with fewer strings attached, and let your team's superior talent win it for you.

######= s cript***

Nov 12, 2018, 10:49 AM

Re: ######= s cript***

Nov 12, 2018, 11:15 AM

Haha yeah I caught that. Don’t know why s cript is a no no word.

I totally get why we might want to not show our hand and have a few arrows in our quiver...

But this^^^ last reply is what I hope for the most...

That TLaw is developing and will soon be able to puppet master the set pieces as he moves forward. (I.E. DW4)

Trust me, I remember the pre-Bowden days when it was all too difficult to conceive the dependability of this current offense. I appreciate what Scott and Elliott do and hope they are continually successful (then duely paid well after each positive performance). — But, it’s nice to have an understanding of where they’re working from...

They might be finding out what the base defense is presenting so they can work around it or take what’s given. You got to admit, sometimes it’s frustrating to see a run get busted up the gut so easily. But I guess that’s how a lot of teams feel against our D and Brent V.

Be Well! And Go Tigers!

Re: It appears as if we ###### the first 10-15 plays to start

Nov 12, 2018, 11:08 AM [ in reply to It appears as if we ###### the first 10-15 plays to start ]

Thank you for the response. Good question and good responses. This is the kind of stuff I enjoy coming here to read.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2018, 11:47 AM

We should only call those "up the gut" runs when we know Feaster will bust it for 70 yards and a TD. Otherwise, don't call it.

Nov 12, 2018, 7:49 PM

Everyone has to have a foundation. We have a fundamental offense which includes the plays you have outlined. Like all offenses, if you execute correctly they will work. Sometimes being predictable is not a bad thing. Especially when you practice those plays so much that they work well enough for you to win enough games to get to the CFP where you can then add wrinkles that noone has seen all year. You do not want to add the wrinkles too soon because once it's on film your opponents can prepare.

Nov 12, 2018, 8:14 PM

Is there enough time on the stack quick flat screen to pump fake and have the blocking wideout slip past the corner for a little 30 yard pop down the sideline or are the linemen trying to get out downfield and block?

Nov 12, 2018, 10:20 PM

That's why OL is a very difficult position. You have to block with rage while keeping composed and still communicating the entire time. I do believe we will see TL fish for CB's with pump fakes. He has done it only a couple times so far and the CB bit. Cannot wait to see it in CFP for a big score.

Nov 12, 2018, 10:34 PM

Awesome screen name Hypocritease

Replies: 19
| visibility 3,334
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic