Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So using tech to cheat is ok but Pete Rose is banned for life....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

So using tech to cheat is ok but Pete Rose is banned for life....

Jan 16, 2020, 10:06 PM

For betting. On his own team. Really.

Free Pete. And shoeless Joe.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So using tech to cheat is ok but Pete Rose is banned for life....

Jan 16, 2020, 10:13 PM

Its the bedrock rule of baseball. He knew it when he came into the league. When he admitted doing it he was done

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pete Rose is a douchehole***

Jan 17, 2020, 2:54 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pete Rose is a douchehole***

Jan 17, 2020, 7:27 AM

Rose was my hero in bball. He slid into base the way you're supposed to when the call is going to be close. I chose to do what Rose did and wanted to play like him. He made bball real for me. What he did was wrong, but he was the essence of bball to me as a young lad. Funny thing is, on job interviews as a young college grad, when asked who my hero was, the answer was Rose. Because he played the game (or did his job) the way it was supposed to be played. Too bad you never saw that in Rose. The best player to ever play the game IMO.

BTW: bball is not even my favorite sport.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2020, 7:29 AM

BTW2: The HOF without Rose means there is no HOF. The HOF means nothing.

Jan 18, 2020, 11:49 AM

I don't think most people understand what Pete Rose did as a player. He had 4256 hits. Pujols has the most hits for an active player at 3202 or more than 1000 behind. The second among active players is Cabrera with 2815 or less than 2/3 of Rose's total. It is a record that is unlikely to be approached, much less broken.

I am probably in the minority, but I have problems with the athletes being shunned from "the steroid era" that never tested positive for it while it was banned or not at all. Barry Bonds was the best power hitter of my lifetime, and arguably the best hitter of my lifetime. He tested positive one time prior to steroids being a banned substance and argued that it came from a cream that he was unaware of containing steroids. Sammy Sosa had a career that would probably have merited the HOF, but hasn't come close due to a leak of a positive test from 2003. This is despite Rob Manfred, the MLB Commissioner stating in 2016 that the testing done in 2003 was not reliable distinguishing between certain supplements and steroids. Finally, you have Roger Clemens. He won the Cy Young 7 times and never tested positive. There were accusations, with some stronger than others, but nothing good enough for the courtroom since he was actually tried for perjury.

On a separate subject you have Shoeless Joe, who was banned for knowing about corruption. He had the highest batting average of either team in the Series, and nobody accused him of actually participating. So for the HOF, the all-time hits leader is not in, the all-time homerun leader is not in, the all-time Cy Young leader is not in, and 2 of the best hitters of their era are not in. If I want to see consolation prizes, I will go to Cootlumbia.

Didn't say he wasnt good.hes just

Jan 18, 2020, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Pete Rose is a douchehole*** ]

A.scumbag. never liked the guy

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2020, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Pete Rose is a douchehole*** ]

Pete Rose better than Barry Bonds or Mike Trout?

Who said it was ok to use tech to cheat. What rules were

Jan 17, 2020, 3:11 AM

changed?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who said it was ok to use tech to cheat. What rules were

Jan 18, 2020, 10:29 AM

I believe that the suspensions from MLB were only for a year. It isn't OK'ing anything, but I think most teams would trade a title for the penalty.

Re: So using tech to cheat is ok but Pete Rose is banned for life....

Jan 18, 2020, 10:32 AM

Not that any of this is okay, but the scandals today all involve trying to gain an advantage for the express purpose of winning. Pete Rose may or may not have been manipulating games, win or lose, based on his managerial moves and betting patterns

Again, neither okay, but one is significantly worse. Pete Rose has also not shown an ounce of contrition. I agree he should be in the HOF, but I certainly don't feel bad for him not being in

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic