Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pessimistic about NCAA tourmanent
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Pessimistic about NCAA tourmanent

Feb 18, 2020, 11:41 PM

As we all know, wins are not wins until the game is over... But what is up with the we have to win out to make the NCAA tournament? We are 13-12... We can finish 18-12 at best... If we won the ACCCG, we would be 22-12...Lose it, we would be 21-13, lose the round before, we would be 20-13, you see what I mean.

Being 20-13 would include wins for Clemson over #3 Duke, #5 UL, around #6 FSU, solid win over VT on the road, and a top 10 win in the qtr finals of the acct...

Explain to me how likely FOUR top ten wins, a 12-8 record in the ACC, and 20 wins is not enough for the NCAA tournament?

Take away the QTR final win, Clemson is 19-13 with 3 top ten wins... The committee cannot ignore Clemson would have a loss to ND with their best player hurt, November Trapp missing...

Clemson would have a 12-8 ACC record and win in the ACCT... The committee can't ignore all this good wins and the losses we have because we were missing key pieces.

I guarentee you 19, 20, 21 win bubble teams we will be fighting with won't have 3 wins over teams who will likely be seeded In the top 12 seeds... 18-14 if the loss is at Virginia tech and Clemson beats a solid team in the ACCT and loses close to duke or UL... They might still have a shot.

If 19-13 isn't enough for us to get in, why did those bubble teams from the big ten with 18-15 records and losing records in their conference always get in over us? We had a 20 win team in 2013 and we got jumped by 18 wins teams... By God if beating 3 top 10 teams doesn't forgive the lack of 20 wins, what kind of leauge is the big 10?!?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I sure hope we make it,

Feb 18, 2020, 11:49 PM

it is highly unlikely but there’s definitely a chance. We will probably need to get to around 19 wins, but this would be the most improbable team to ever make the tournament.

Re: Pessimistic about NCAA tourmanent

Feb 18, 2020, 11:54 PM

I think we have 3 road games and a home game vs. FSU out of the remaining 5 games. We could easily lose 4 of those 5 games. If we win 3 of those 5 games, I'll be a little shocked. Just being realistic. I still think our team basically lives and dies by the 3, so let's hope the 3's are falling for us.

Feb 19, 2020, 12:23 AM

If we hit all our 3’s we could win the National Championship! ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

I agree....

Feb 19, 2020, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Pessimistic about NCAA tourmanent ]

I appreciate the optimism of some....and I like how we played the last 2 games....but the bottom line is that we have won 2 road games this year. The 3 remaining road games are "winnable", but I would be stunned if we won them all. BC is better than they have been. GT has won some significant games at home. VT has struggled recently, but they snapped their losing streak the other day.
I can see winning 3 out of the final 5 games and would take that as a nice surprise ending for this team, but my realistic expectation is that we'll win 2 for sure. I kind of think we'll split the GT games....beat BC....lose to FSU (not sure that we match up well with them) and then the VT game is a true toss-up.
At the end of the year, we will kick ourselves for losing the games to Miami and Notre Dame at home....as well as not showing up at Wake. But I'll celebrate the streak ending in Chapel Hill...the big wins over top 5 schools and the NIT trip if it comes....considering all the injuries.

Feb 19, 2020, 8:40 AM

we've been playing well. I want that to continue w a strong finish. Beat BC therefor starters. Normally around this time of year we seem to wear down. Avoiding that would be good. Given how we started the conf and the prediction of 11th preseason if we can beat that it will be solid considering the number of new faces and what graduated last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2020, 8:57 AM

The fact that we all have to deal with is that Clemson has no gravitas in basketball.

That's what splits this board.

We apparently had a little during the OP years. Some want to hold our current coach responsible for its evaporation. Others of us say that we are closer to it now than any time in the past decade.

Several of the Big Ten teams are among the top 3-ball shooting teams in the country. That makes them seriously good. But ACC teams defend the 3 very well. Apparently that makes us all chopped liver.

Regardless, it is what it is. The only thing some people respect is the green W.

Feb 19, 2020, 9:38 AM

Face it... We don't have the credentials to make the NCAA tournament.
We may make the NIT. It all depends how finish the season.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Feb 19, 2020, 10:04 AM

I won't give up. We could win these last 5. Ofcourse we could lose them all too but they are all winnable games imo.

Feb 19, 2020, 11:43 AM

The high side for this team in most games is around 78 points. Unfortunately they have shown the ability in many games to score 55 or less. That math doesn’t equal 5 more regular season wins or 2-3 ACCT wins, regardless of what the lineup is.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic