Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog:

Dec 10, 2013, 9:41 AM

Top 15
When Clemson faces Ohio State on January 3 in South Florida it will mark the fourth time this season, and the sixth time in the last 15 games, where the Tigers have faced a top 15 team.

This is the first time in any 15-game-stretch in Clemson history that the Tigers have faced six

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And yet some still want Dabo's scalp.

Dec 10, 2013, 9:52 AM

I expect the other coaches' records versus SCar look quite different, too. To some that is all that matters.

I still think Dabo is 'growing' into the job and will give him at least one more year to prove that he can keep improving recruiting and results. A competitive game against FSU & SCar next year, win or lose, will be a huge milestone in my mind as to whether he and his coaches are maturing into their jobs, too.

Good analysis...

Dec 10, 2013, 10:10 AM

Interesting numbers.
However, and there's always a 'however'...
No one expects CDS to go undefeated or even go far above .500 vs the best teams.
The issue stems from two glaring items:
1-5, arguably 0-5 vs SC.
Blowout losses(WVU, FSU).
To his credit we beat virtually everyone we are supposed to, especially recently. The UGA and LSU wins are good as well.
He simply has to beat SC once in a while and he has to stop the blowouts.
Yes, I know this is obvious but it taints all the good, fair or not.
The Orange bowl nightmare still lingers(I happen to live in WV), particularly with another visit upcoming.

Frank Howard went 4-21 vs Top 15 teams

Dec 10, 2013, 10:08 AM

I'm not gonna do the research, but I bet only 2 or 3 of those games were Clemson home games. Poor old Frank was a road warrior; nobody ever came to Clemson except Wake Forest and Presbyterian.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Frank Howard went 4-21 vs Top 15 teams

Dec 10, 2013, 12:26 PM

frank also had a losing record to the coots. it was something like 14-15 so not real lopsided but I was surpised when I discovered that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Frank Howard went 4-21 vs Top 15 teams

Dec 11, 2013, 10:18 AM

Back in Howard's day we played teams like Auburn, Alabama, Ok, Southern Cal, etc. for money. A big crowd then was 25000. DV would only seat 30,000. The top 15 teams considered us same as Furman, Citadel, SC State etc.
Plus the ACC had that 700 rule on the SAT for football players. When we played Southern Cal and Alabama back to back in 1966, there were a total of 3 players on both squads that could qualify to play in the SEC. Wayne Mass, our AA Tackle told me at Alabama he had 7 different defensive players in front of him during the game and only difference in them were their jersey #.

Frank faced the "Knucklehead League" hampered by the

Dec 12, 2013, 10:09 PM

"800" Rule ...

In the late 60s, several great players from within 10 miles of Clemson went to Georgia when they couldn't qualify for a scholarship at Clemson.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Personally

Dec 10, 2013, 1:42 PM

I think these numbers are misleading. You should count teams where they finished the season ranked instead of where they were ranked when the game was played. Do it that at and Dabo's record vs Top 15 teams looks a little different.

Re: Personally

Dec 11, 2013, 3:52 PM

Do the same for the other coaches too... if you really want to waste your time. Logic says if you beat a ranked (or unranked) team, their ranking will suffer from fewer votes.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How stupid. Duh, where was the team ranked when they

Dec 13, 2013, 12:14 AM [ in reply to Personally ]

played. Par for a coot,

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic