Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Perno Interview
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Perno Interview

Jun 13, 2015, 6:07 PM

Considering our baseball tradition, the short list is a bit underwhelming. Monte Lee - solid but Gamecock at heart. McMullan - assistant and NE guy. John Szefc - another NE guy w/no CWS experience. Hard to believe we haven't interviewed Perno considering he's had 5 trips to Omaha and coached in final game. If Sully and Corbin are off the board, he has best pedigree and resume of anyone on our list. Led a very average program to national prominence…rather have a former Bulldog than a Coot.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Perno Interview

Jun 13, 2015, 6:10 PM

and you and everyone know he is a coot at heart how. he went to the cofc. maybe he is a cougar at heart. maybe he thought he should have gotten the coot job when it came open. maybe maybe maybe

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2015, 8:58 PM

> and you and everyone know he is a coot at heart how.
> he went to the cofc. maybe he is a cougar at heart.
> maybe he thought he should have gotten the coot job
> when it came open. maybe maybe maybe

I agree. How do we know Lee doesn't feel slighted by SCAR for not going after him and instead Holbrook? How do we know that he has some deep seeded love for SCAR? I would imagine this guy is ready for a big opportunity. An opportunity that gives him the resources to truly compete for a CWS. I know, I know. We're still working on competing in tuition, but it seems as we are finally making ground there.

The reason I really like Lee is because of the trouble he has given big programs in the tournament. He seems to instill a confidence in his players that could win the whole thing. We have never had that much of a problem making it to the CWS, our problem has been playing to our full potential and beyond when we get there. Lee may have the best resume in that regard of them all. What he did at the Gainesville regional a few years back is as good as it gets in regards to playing with confidence in the postseason.

Give me Lee!

Jun 13, 2015, 9:26 PM

i can buy into lee. if your gonna go down the road of non big 5 conf. lee is the easy move for the AD. i have noted who is the best available but he is not the popular guy with this board. big decision for drad and lee seems to be the least path of resistance (per msg board folks). a lot to be revealed over the next few days. one being if we're trying to win the press conference or trying to win championships. TDP took heat over Dabo but we see how that turned out. either way...........all in!

Jun 13, 2015, 9:43 PM

> i can buy into lee. if your gonna go down the road of
> non big 5 conf. lee is the easy move for the AD. i
> have noted who is the best available but he is not
> the popular guy with this board. big decision for
> drad and lee seems to be the least path of resistance
> (per msg board folks). a lot to be revealed over the
> next few days. one being if we're trying to win the
> press conference or trying to win championships. TDP
> took heat over Dabo but we see how that turned out.
> either way...........all in!

If I was AD and Lee was the "easy hire" I would take it all day. He is the "best hire" and if it is easy, take him right now. I simply do not care for A) an assistant with no head coaching experience compared to those with head coaching experience, and B) someone who has simply made it to the CWS but not done well. We need the guy that can maximize his teams effort when the pressure is on. That's where Leggett fell short. I think Lee beats everyone in this category, and that's why if I was Drad I would ###### him up. If it's easy, all the better. ;)

Jun 14, 2015, 7:47 AM

I've been following string. I think what many of you are missing about Perno is what he did at a lackluster program that didn't have the attention and support that UGA Football, Basketball or even Women's Gymnastics received. Lee has done a great job but I would like to see what he could have done coaching in the SEC with the 8th best facilities in their conference. There's no secret why Vandebilt and Virginia win...sure it's great coaching but it endowment $$$$$$$. Think Danny Ford - how did he do at Arkansas compared to his years at Clemson. I think the real issue is what you want in the program. If you want a pretty record or to be in a position to win championships. Btw, I talked with Rusty Charpia earlier this week who was All-ACC SS in late 80's and led team in interceptions as football player. He said Perno is an absolute no brainer. He mentioned that if Bill Wilhelm were still alive Perno would already have he job. As one of the earlier guys mentioned on post, the SEC is at another level and Perno won championships there with far, far less resources than Clemson. Remember that Bill Bilichek was fired at Cleveland. There's a big difference when you have support and resources like the Kraft family in New England. It's a shame because Clemson is like the Green Bay Packers in terms of support and resources and if David Perno was coach I bet Tigers would be in Omahaa playing for a NC within a few years. My basis for this is that he did it at UGA with a much, more inferior program and resources. It's an opportunity missed and it looks like Lee is the guy. I'll be pulling for the Tigers but always wondering what would have happened if we went with a proven winner who won in the toughest conference in the league while also year over year played the toughest schedule in all of college baseball. (sec, clemson, Ga tech, Oregon state, fsu, ucla) You see Perno felt it was more important to prepare his boys how to compete for end of season v/s a pretty record which is why his Omaha record speaks for itself. #missedopportunity

Jun 14, 2015, 1:06 PM

Serious question. He was fired from UGA at least 2 seasons ago. Why has no one else hired him? Has he turned down a lot of offers? Just wondering why if he is so highly thought of he isn't in higher demand.

Jun 14, 2015, 7:08 PM

He's been waiting for right opportunity and doesn't want to uproot his family for just any job. He's coached in the top conference in the country and I'm sure his ESPN gig is keeping him tied to the game. Some believe he is waiting for Alabama or Tennessee opportunity to open up.

Jun 13, 2015, 6:17 PM

If Perno is hired, they might as well shut down the program.

Jun 13, 2015, 6:35 PM

Perno...................#### Effing NO...I don't want that SOB on my Tiger Team and baseball field....Period

2016 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Jun 13, 2015, 6:47 PM

You need to study his resume……guy is a winner…..recruiting wise he knows the state of Georgia inside out……took uga to Omaha 3 times and did something we have never done - made it to the final game. Athens has been good to Clemson…….Homer Jordan, Doug Brewster, Chris Morocco, Norman Haynes, Tyronne Davis.

Re: As previously stated....

Jun 13, 2015, 7:23 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17345972

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2015, 8:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Perno Interview ]

I'm telling you, he DOES NOT know recruiting in Georgia. I live in Georgia. And he had his ### handed to him in recruiting his final five or six years by teams like Mercer. He's horrible.

Jun 13, 2015, 9:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Perno Interview ]

Multiple losing seasons, overall 162-190-1 in SEC play.

Not sure what happened to him after 2008, whether he lost an assistant or what, but his teams were garbage for his last 4 or 5 seasons.

Jun 13, 2015, 9:39 PM

The downhill slide started for Georgia when the pitching coach, Roger Williams, left for Louisville. They were still good for a couple of years after he left because of the talent he helped recruit, but after that talent moved on the decline accelerated. And Louisville has continued to get better. McDonnell gets all the credit, but Williams is a big part of their success.

> Multiple losing seasons, overall 162-190-1 in SEC
> play.
>
> Not sure what happened to him after 2008, whether he
> lost an assistant or what, but his teams were garbage
> for his last 4 or 5 seasons.

Maybe Williams is worth an Interview***

Jun 13, 2015, 9:41 PM

I am with you as his antics in Athens region rules him out!***

Jun 13, 2015, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Perno Interview ]

Jun 13, 2015, 6:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Perno Interview ]

He has been to Omaha 3 times as coach, once as an asst., once as a player……he is a winner. Recruiting wise he knows the state of Georgia. Athens has been good to Clemson - Jordan, Morocco, Brewster, Haynes, Davis. Has a 16 - 20 record vs Tanner and considering uga has never cared about baseball or given it the needed resources i think this is impressive.

^^^This Juan really knows his Pernography.^^^***

Jun 13, 2015, 7:29 PM

Jun 13, 2015, 7:00 PM

If we fired Leggett for underachieving, why would we hire a guy who can give instate tuition to all of Cobb County and yet only made one NCAA in his last 4 seasons? The guy is a bigger underachiever than Leggett. Hiring him would be similar to if Dabo hired Friedgen

Jun 13, 2015, 7:05 PM

last 4 years were series injury issues…..had back to back years where players were paralyzed. Also he never had the resources/tradition of clemson baseball and did well in the SEC

Jun 13, 2015, 7:09 PM

Half of our bullpen hasn't been medically allowed to throw for the last 2 years. Injuries happen, but you have to get through them.

If D Rad is serious about Clemson being a perennial Super Regional player, then you go buy a coach who is doing that (McDonnell, Slossengale, O'Sullivan, Corbin, etc.).

Jun 13, 2015, 7:36 PM

i agree with your 4 options as HC. however they don't seem to be interested thus far. I disagree with your assessment of the injuries. i don't think CU or most any team had to deal with the tragedies his team did in his final 4 seasons. please take a minute to review the video below. He is currently the 4th most successful coach in post season play among active coaches and represents well on espn and sec network.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuoDPKc2NQI

Jun 13, 2015, 7:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Perno Interview ]

UGA has only been to the NCCA regionals 10 times in their history …..Perno has been a part of 9 of these……Clemson has been to 44 regionals going back to the Wilhelm era…..If you look @ the facts Perno is by far the best name on our board……the guy is a winner and has a Clemson type personality

Jun 13, 2015, 7:56 PM

I get that he has some nice marks on his resume. You don't replace a guy who went to the NCAA Tournament 21 of 22 years with a guy who did 6 of 12 as a head coach. His resume also includes 3 losing seasons. That won't cut it here.

Jun 13, 2015, 8:03 PM

agree with your numbers but apples to oranges, sec to acc. different competition. getting to post season and succeeding is tilted towards perno. we have never played for NC. his teams have.

Jun 13, 2015, 8:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Perno Interview ]

This would create about the same amount of excitement for most fans as bringing Riginos back from Winthrop! If part of the goal is to re-energize the fan base, hiring Perno would be a major fail. He is absolutely last on my list!

Jun 13, 2015, 9:36 PM

Hey look another new troll account pops up...

Go back to fgf loser.

null

LOL at Virginia and Maryland being Northeast

Jun 13, 2015, 10:51 PM

You don't get out much, do ya?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: LOL at Virginia and Maryland being Northeast

Jun 14, 2015, 7:22 AM

I think he was referring to fact that both coaches are from NE - NY and PA.

Perno got fired at Georgia. He sucks.***

Jun 14, 2015, 4:55 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is nothing underwhelming about McMullen

Jun 15, 2015, 12:07 AM

Bashing him because he's from up north?? Get your head out of your ###, the man is the best assistant coach in college baseball!

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic